Groove Tube 12AX7, circa 1996

Good afternoon. My new (to me) 5150II has a full complement of Sovtek preamp tubes. I have a Peavey Rockmaster preamp that has been sitting for 20 years in my rack. I don't use it any more because it has become less than reliable - I think some of the relays in it don't work right. It still has the tubes in it that were there when I bought it used. One is labeled "Groove Tube 12AX7R (ECC83/7025)". The next is labeled "Groove Tube Fender 12AX7A", and the other two are labeled "Grove Tube 12AX7A". Anyone know what tubes Groove Tube was using in the mid Nineties or earlier? Is their any reall difference depending upon the labeling? Would any of these be an upgrade to the sovteks, or are they likely relabeled soviet tubes?

I've seen the chart. The "R" at the end of the 7025 leads me to believe it is a russian sourced tube. The physical appearance of all of them is virtually identical, save for the labeling, so these are all probably early 90's Russian. Proabably not worth swapping out for the Sovteks in my amp unless I have a failure.

At least I have Peavey Classic 120 I can rob for power tubes if I absolutely have to.

The switch contacts in the 90 freaking effects loops in the Rockmaster get dirty and cause a lot of problems. Clean the contacts with Deoxit and a small jack cleaning brush. Spraying then and sliding a business card between the contacts works to. Clean the jacks as well. Most of the time that's all they need. Mine had bad relays and I replaced them all. It wasn't too bad. It rips now. :2thumbsup:

Back