Ground Zero ground-up build update

RedPlated

I haven’t posted any updates for a while. I’ve stopped doing mods and have been focusing on my ground up. It’s a TON of work and logistically frustrating to get a project like this going. But well worth it.

I’ve got pretty much the entire circuit and parts list dialed in. I did some updates to the gain cut circuit to improve the feel and tone of the lower gain sounds. It’s working really great and makes it even more versatile. The feel is amazing. Very buttery but no flub or over-roundness on low notes.

Anyway, I have several head shells now, which turned out amazingly well. Front and rear faceplates are fully designed. I’m still waiting to receive the fronts but did get the rear panels. They came out phenomenal and the fit is spot on. I used Mojotone and can’t recommended them enough. Fantastic experience and professional product. They are reverse engraved and made of a plexi-type material.

Here’s some photos of how it looks so far. Hopefully front plates and logo will ready in next couple of weeks. Only other hold up now is the Heyboer transformers. They’re out of stock and I’m waiting for a new shipment.

This is a 100% ground up build from a bare chassis. Custom built head shell to my specs. The rear panel is fairly simple. I put most controls on front. I prefer it that way as it makes tweaking much easier while playing.

bc8z49pl.jpg

vhFvNGql.jpg

y5muktzl.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the support and encouragement. I appreciate it from everyone.

The American flag was an important addition for me. It's very patriotic and we all know what to represents. I'm proud to have it displayed.

As far as "Assembled in USA", well I can assure you that these are 100% hand built by myself here in CA. I would love to put "Made in USA" instead, but federally that's a violation if the entire product, including all parts inside, aren't also made in USA. This is virtually impossible with an amp. scottosan was correct....tubes, capacitors, resistors, switches, etc, etc... have to all be made in USA in order to use that verbiage.

Here’s a shot of front and rear faceplates. These were the test versions. Fronts still haven’t been sent out. And they are missing the “( - ) FB” label above the far left hole in this picture, but it will be there.

9KZ2pyBl.jpg

Last edited:
I had some gold plates made just to get an idea how they will look. I think I will offer them as an option to whoever prefers them.

Protective film is still on them, but you get the idea…

ahAOva9l.jpg

zKH8pdXl.jpg

Can’t remember, did you ever settle on a price?

I haven't yet. I need to add up every nut, bolt, capacitor etc...to figure out what my cost is. The reason I haven't really done it yet is that the parts list has been fairly dynamic. I've changed certain parts and added or subtracted certain things as I've dialed it in more and more. As an example, the logos are still in development and are not fully complete. So that's a cost I can't confirm yet. And I'm deciding on which type/ color rocker switches to use for power and standby. Just things like that.

I'm hoping to be in the low to mid $2k's. I'd like it to be as affordable as possible. It'll be a lot of amp for the money at that price. It's super versatile and not just a high gain only amp.There's a ton of sounds in it with the options and controls I've incorporated. It's a really fun amp to tweak on and find new settings. The three way Ultra Tight switch on back is a really cool feature. I think a lot of guys will find that one useful.

I just got word today that the front face plate material will arrive on Monday. Hopefully I can post some shots of the front of the amp with them installed before too long. It's a clean, simple look.

Last edited:
This is going to be killer. Are these always EL34?

The clips I've heard so far have sounded awesome and were all Marshalls. Any 'marketing type info' for the masses regarding your transformers? And have you encountered any supply chain issues there?

This is going to be killer. Are these always EL34?

The clips I've heard so far have sounded awesome and were all Marshalls. Any 'marketing type info' for the masses regarding your transformers? And have you encountered any supply chain issues there?
Some of the 800's (2204) in my clips had 6550's. Most were JJ KT77. I like that tube in the 50's. The 100's typically had JJ E34L.

I've done testing with the Hellion and it really likes the Chinese EL34B. Great low end, super punchy and overall good frequencies. I've also had KT77 and E34L in it. But I prefer the EL34B. From experience, not a lot of other EL34's do it for me. I've had just about everything. EHX is another option but they can be shallow in the bass.

Transformers and choke are all Heyboer. The PT is a modified higher output version. I'm seeing 470v on the plates at around 117-118v AC. Tons of juice and the amp hits really hard with some volume. Moves air for sure.

I initially ordered 3 sets of transformers and chokes. I received two sets. The third is still on backorder, unknown ETA. I will buy more sets once they start coming in. It's very expensive to do this but I'd like to secure multiple extra sets so I don't get stuck waiting on backorders again. The supply chain is certainly slowing things up. Really, as soon as the front face plates and logos arrive the transformers are the only missing link. I just don't want to use any lesser transformer as these Heyboers are killing it.

Take this for what it's worth, and I love all those modded Marshalls I've done, but to me, this amp sounds even better and will certainly be more reliable with better PCB and all new parts. Plus, the cost will be lower than finding a vintage Marshall and paying for the mod.

Last edited:
Back