Guitar Suggestions for beginner

Whenever I worked at Guitar Center, when kids would come in with their parents to buy them a first guitar, or an upgraded guitar from their first while they were still green on guitar, I'd always recommend a Mexican made Tele or Strat. They're good enough to last for a very long time into someone's playing career, whether it's just in their bedroom or on the stage. With the Strat, you could probably find your pick of the litter whether it's 3 single coils or a HSS setup and depending on how the guitar was treated (if you buy used), you may just need a decent setup from a tech and that guitar is ready to go from either the bedroom or a sold out arena. I've always been impressed by them, plus the aftermarket is huge.

Does she listen to music with a lot of distorted-sounding guitars? Some alternative rockers use it and some don't. If you're not familiar with distortion, that is the fuzzy/crunchy sound some guitars have. If she wants to play songs like that then I would suggest getting a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge. The store worker will know what that means. Don't worry too much about the price for a first guitar, but make sure it will stay in tune.

What shape does she find cool, and how big are her hands? For that style I don’t think scale length is all that important but a wider vs narrower nut is something to consider. Sometimes new players want space to finger cords and others struggle with stretching they’re hands out.

Take a look at the Ibanez AZ essentials. Hard to beat for the price and you can get it with single coils or humbuckers.

I always suggest a non-trem guitar.
Easier for a beginner to keep in tune and one less thing to discourage them.

My main guitar is a 97 MIM strat with a replaced block

This would have been right around that time.
Went to the local GC and just tried everything they had that wasn't crazy expensive.
Couldn't believe the MIM won over a couple made in USA that were double the price.

Simple 2 tone burst with black plastics and RW board. Loved that sucker!

What shape does she find cool, and how big are her hands? For that style I don’t think scale length is all that important but a wider vs narrower nut is something to consider. Sometimes new players want space to finger cords and others struggle with stretching they’re hands out.
It doesn't matter what shape she finds cool or how big her hands are. The only thing that matters is the opinion of fat old dudes like us who wished they could have been on stage like our heroes Yngwie Malmnsteen, Warren DeMartini, Eddie Van Halen, and Nuno Bettencourt. Since we failed, we are going to have to live vicariously through her :ROFLMAO:

Does she listen to music with a lot of distorted-sounding guitars? If you're not familiar with distortion, that is the fuzzy/crunchy sound some guitars have. If she wants to play songs like that then I would suggest getting a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge. The store worker will know what that means. Don't worry too much about the price for a first guitar, but make sure it will stay in tune.
Price range?
4-$500

It doesn't matter what shape she finds cool or how big her hands are. The only thing that matters is the opinion of fat old dudes like us who wished they could have been on stage like our heroes Yngwie Malmnsteen, Warren DeMartini, Eddie Van Halen, and Nuno Bettencourt. Since we failed, we are going to have to live vicariously through her :ROFLMAO:
Hey man, you get enough beers and cocaine, any room with a guitar becomes an arena.

Here’s what I’d recommend

600BB01D-EFC0-472B-BA2B-3D51E7BBF6C3.png

You guys in US are lucky opportunitywise. I guess you can find a used LTD maybe? Or an older mij Jackson?

If it was for me, I would gone with a fixed bridge guitar with a humbucker. At the end of the day, you can get a coil split, if need be.

With new instruments it is a little bit harder. There are some Ibanezs in that range. But nowadays anything below 800 is a lottery. You might want to visit a GC or SW and just choose the best best one without flaws.

Back