Help dialing in my M60

War Admiral

It would be cool to start off sharing your settings for reference. I play classic rock with a les paul with medium output PU's. I played the amp for the first time today and had trouble dialing it in with the band. I didn't take time to read the manual so you can imagine how much fiddling I did. Mats Johanson has it dialed in great...I like the clarity that he has with the sweet mids...my cab is a 16ohm Marshall with G12H-30's and Greenbacks. Tips would be appreciated, thanks.
This guy has it dialed in pretty nice with a Les Paul too...this is what I'm after...wish I could see them damn settings! :D

This is what I found now after researching endlessly and tweaking; Much better! :D Share your settings please

Triode mode
Drive switch: M1
Drive ch2: 1:30 'o clock
Bass: 10 'o clock
Mid: 2 o'clock
Treble: 1:30 o'clock
Volume: 11 o'clock
Gain: 2 o'clock
Drive ch1: 1:30 o'clock
Bass: 12 o'clock
Mid: 1:30 o'clock
Treble: 2 o'clock
Volume: 11 o'clock
Drive ch1 Volume: 1:30 o'clock
Fat: 10:00 o'clock
Edge: 3 o'clock

I don't know if this is the answer you want, but anyway... rewire your cab.

When I got my Elmo 60 and plugged it into my Marshall/Greenback/16 Ohm cab, it just didn't sound right. The sound had an annoying emphasis in the upper mids and I just couldn't get rid of it with the tone controls. Also I think the EQ should be used to form the sound, not to repair it. So after thinking about it for a while and reading some forums I decided to rewire the cab to 4 Ohms (all 4 speakers in parallel) and it sounded just great!

Thats a great Idea. I've decided for now to just plug in my other 16ohm cab to balance it out and get the full power output. Full stack heaven! :rock:

Yeah, go full-stack, baby :D

I just cannot understand why the Elmo has only 4 and 8 Ohm outputs. Output transformers with 4/8/16 Ohm taps are widely available at any quality level. Makes no sense... :no:

I didn't have alot of luck with my M90 or M60 with greenies but V30's on the other hand sound fantastic with both the M90 and M60.

Yeah the only cab I have is a greenback loaded 4x12 but I have played the M90 through both a Diezel 4x12 and Mesa 4X12. I much preferred the V30 with the Elmo.

I've talked to Brian about that demo but he can't really recall the settings he used. All he said is keep the preamp down on the Elmwood, thats the trick.

As for the speakers, I have the G12H-30's mixed in there and I think its sounds great but I haven't tried a V30 cab with this head yet...

I've got a mix of V30's and Heritage 30's in a Splawn 4X12 cabinet and my M60 sounds fanastic! :rock:

Some more settings! Liquid lead! :thumbsup: Courtesy of Piero the Guitarero

Attachments

• Elmwood Modena Sound Fr-09.10.2009.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 224
Man Brian Kahanek is a good player. I loved the way his Dimarzio demo sounded, made me want to buy those pickups! I'd love to see some tabs of that dude's stuff. So far, I could only find one tab, but it wasn't the soloing stuff I like to hear him play.

I think it would be cool if that dude jammed with Joe Bonamassa.

Found this one recently on my Hard Disc Drive - the first setting ever I played on a M60.

The setting has been done by someone else, but I really liked it. I remember that
I called a frind: "Hey, it was easier to play than my 3100!" :aww:

Notice that the Mids are turned all the way up :D

Picture was taken July 2007

Attachments

• Modena60.JPG
    Modena60.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 1,282
Piero the Guitarero":2e42kyw7 said:
Found this one recently on my Hard Disc Drive - the first setting ever I played on a M60.

The setting has been done by someone else, but I really liked it. I remember that

Just tried this setting at band practice and it was brutal!!!! WOW! Never thought you could crank the gains like that and it would sound good....the sound really comes alive with the mids cranked like that too! :rock:

Piero the Guitarero":3qkyq60d said:

Damn..that's ALOT of gain man. Try the boost at 12 o'clock and drive at 2 o'clock. I use pearly gates on my Deluxe Strat and this setting gives me plenty of gain for ANY type of metal. Even though these high end amps like Elmwood Modenas and Diezel Einstein can do it very well, you shouldn't go nuts on the gain you do lose some of the amps true beauty.

Revised my settings with my PU's tweaked and my M60 biased properly. This IS the bomb!! I'm using V30's with this head...its what it likes. It don't get better than this!!!!!!

Pentode mode
Drive switch: M1
Drive ch2: 1:30 'o clock
Bass: 12 'o clock
Mid: 2:30 o'clock
Treble: 12 o'clock
Volume: 1:30 o'clock
Gain: 2 o'clock
Drive ch1: 1:30 o'clock
Bass: 12:30 o'clock
Mid: 1:30 o'clock
Treble: 11 o'clock
Volume: 10:30 o'clock
Drive ch1 Volume: 10:30 o'clock
Fat: 10:30 o'clock
Edge: 2 o'clock

My current fave setting is:
Channel 2:
Bass 3 o'clock
Mid Cranked
Treb Cranked
Volume Noon
Gain Cranked
Edge 11 o'clock
Fat 1 o'clock
the Drive is used when I need a little more: 10:30
This thru a V30/65 cabinet and my current pup is a Rebel Yell in an LP.

Ampaddict":38k0nisf said:
My current fave setting is:
Channel 2:
Bass 3 o'clock
Mid Cranked
Treb Cranked
Volume Noon
Gain Cranked
Edge 11 o'clock
Fat 1 o'clock
the Drive is used when I need a little more: 10:30
This thru a V30/65 cabinet and my current pup is a Rebel Yell in an LP.
I'll have to give that a try!! :rock:

Back