Help me choose which body gets the neck?

Which body gets the neck?

• Blackie

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Bursty

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

SpiderWars

Same neck in both pics. Warmoth chambered Mahogany with Maple top vs. no-name Alder. Warmoth's 2-tone burst finish (whatever poly they use) vs. my first attempt at nitro (Stewmac rattle cans). I have to remove this neck at least once more because the bridge and middle are out-of-phase, so it's not much more work to put it on the other body.

I will likely find another neck for the loser here but that neck might be very different (eg - Rosewood board/ etc). So please say why you like one over the other, it might help me choose the next neck.

20210525_145745.jpg

20210403_144742.jpg

I just noticed Blackie has way better fret access at the 22nd fret. Like...non-Strat like which I kind of like. It feels way more different than it looks. It's amazing what a little widening of that pocket does (it came that way). Can you see what a wide sweep it is there?

Also, the Fralin Steel Pole 42 in Blackie sounds better for me than the Lollar Special in Bursty (these are not my names for these but just for this thread). The Steel Pole 42 just has a bit more of that P90 grease and Tele-muscle but not too much so that it doesn't balance/blend. Way better for Eric Johnson type use. The neck/middle pickups in both are Lollar Blackface but with ~400k Volume pot. Blackie has ~290k tones and Bursty has ~240k but Bursty is still brighter and thinner. Blackie has a lot of bottom.

I took time with lighting/etc on the Bursty pic but just quickly shot the Blackie pic. But still, just based on looks, Bursty is purty. Blackie has that tuxedo-thing going.

The black body makes the neck stand out more. The burst looks really classy with it. I'd pick burst
Yeah I think you're right. It's a bit of a clash with Blackie but matches perfectly with the Burst. If I had to pick one or the other it would be Blackie just based on sound/feel but I think the other body is a better match.

Since Blackie was my first body finish I'll probably buy a raw neck and finish it with lacquer myself just to have a 100% nitro-finished-by-me guitar. The black body looks good...from 4 feet away. :LOL: I still have polishing to do, I haven't even polished the back at all. I wanted to see if more polishing would be worth the trouble. I like it so I will.

I always felt flashy necks don’t look good with flashy bodies. It’s one or the other.
You posted this after I had written the above so I'll just leave it. But I thought this before I posted the op. The double flashy thing is almost gaudy.

Yeah I think you're right. It's a bit of a clash with Blackie but matches perfectly with the Burst. If I had to pick one or the other it would be Blackie just based on sound/feel but I think the other body is a better match.

Since Blackie was my first body finish I'll probably buy a raw neck and finish it with lacquer myself just to have a 100% nitro-finished-by-me guitar. The black body looks good...from 4 feet away. :LOL: I still have polishing to do, I haven't even polished the back at all. I wanted to see if more polishing would be worth the trouble. I like it so I will.

You posted this after I had written the above so I'll just leave it. But I thought this before I posted the op. The double flashy thing is almost gaudy.
Yea, sometimes it’s too much bling

i voted for bursty bc that neck flame and that flame on the strat look great together.

that said, normally i would say rosewood with a burst.

Musikraft plain jane 2-pc maple neck just ordered for the black body. $221 to my door. AYS 80 87 profile, 6100 nickel silver jumbos (22), 12" radius, 1-11/16" @ nut, dual adjust at the head, semi-rolled edges, otherwise standard. I'm sure it will be late summer at best before I get it. I might lacquer it or I might oil it. Oiling is so much easier.

Back