Heres a great rut buster

War Admiral

This is some things I have come up with in my own practicing sessions to break out of boxes or positional playing.

Once you know all your Mode patterns you can easily learn all your pentatonic patterns by simply extracting 2 notes from the Major scale. Well take the G major E minor scale and take out the F# and the C. Now you have all your pentatonic patterns all over the fretboard just like your modes. I like to think of this as the skeleton scale of the modes since you can always add back either the F# or C or both when you want for colour. Are you still with me? Good. :)
Now when you do this as you can see in these pentatonic patterns (5 of them) there is always 2 notes per string.
Instead of whacking off going up and down these patterns, try doing 4 note arpeggios using 2 notes on 1 string and 2 more notes on the next.

Ex. desending lick. G-E 12th position on the 1st string then B-A on the 2nd string. Repeat the G-E on the 3rd string and the B-A on the 4th string...etc. Play these licks in all 5 postions by just moving up or down on the note in the scale but following the scale. EX. position #2 going up would be A-G on the first string and D-B on the 2nd string and so on. Play these descending and ascending.

Now we go to the same 2 note per string 4 note arpeggios technique for your Dominant 7th's, Major 7th's and Minor 7th's. Same deal here but you will have to add the F# or C when needed.

EX. F#-G on the 6th string then B-D on the 5th string then F#-G on the 4th string...etc. This will be always the pattern for a Major 7th arp in this case GMaj7.

Going up to the next chord...
EX. G-A on the 6th string then C-E on the 5th string then G-A on the 4th string...etc. This will be always the pattern for a minor 7th arp in this case for Am7.

Now just keep going up through all the chords. Always try to be aware of where you are with your arpeggio in relation to your parent scale. So as soon as you want to bust out of your arpeggio pattern you know exactly where the scale is. If your in the Dorian(m7) or Phrygian(m7) or Lydian(Maj7) etc. follow? You will always have your options layed out for you this way and will never be lost!! :rock:

You can get some killer licks going using this technique. hammering, pull offs, sequencing...etc. Its also gets you around the neck real fast!

I'll stop for now and add more rut busters at another time. :)

I actually inderstood that.

I was getting some grasp of things in the past when Ed D. would post progressions and ask what modes to use. I am glad Brad has put this up again.

Thanks Ed. This really became my anchor to my approach since you can really take this and expand on it a lot. It really breaks up linear playing and as you can see is really based on chordal playing and then you're just using the "other" notes for colour in between the intervals. Eric Johnson is quite good at this...his playing never seems to give you that up and down feeling. Straight 1-3-5 arpeggios sound dull compared to this. Its so much better adding a 7th, 9th, 11th or 13th to the mix or even cutting out the 1 alltogether since its already implied.

MARK1970":t10fzlhk said:
I actually inderstood that.

I was getting some grasp of things in the past when Ed D. would post progressions and ask what modes to use. I am glad Brad has put this up again.
Thats cool Mark! If anyones interested I can put up more stuff every once in a while. That goes for anyone else who would like to share their methods of madness!!! We are all here to learn. :rock:

War Admiral":19d5icdc said:
Thanks Ed. This really became my anchor to my approach since you can really take this and expand on it a lot. It really breaks up linear playing and as you can see is really based on chordal playing and then you're just using the "other" notes for colour in between the intervals. Eric Johnson is quite good at this...his playing never seems to give you that up and down feeling. Straight 1-3-5 arpeggios sound dull compared to this. Its so much better adding a 7th, 9th, 11th or 13th to the mix or even cutting out the 1 alltogether since its already implied.
I'm lazy so I like short cuts...so for 7-9-11 sounds I just think 1-3-5 a whole step down...

But to get back at your approach for the shred guys trying this I like to add a 3rd note on the upper string... i.e. if you have a Am/C major thing play 17-15-12 0n the e string and 13-12 on the b string.

degenaro":nevqw3lj said:
War Admiral":nevqw3lj said:
I'm lazy so I like short cuts...so for 7-9-11 sounds I just think 1-3-5 a whole step down...

But to get back at your approach for the shred guys trying this I like to add a 3rd note on the upper string... i.e. if you have a Am/C major thing play 17-15-12 0n the e string and 13-12 on the b string.
Yup, thats cool! I use that in a say a C Maj7 sequence alternating the A note (17)
EX. 15-12 on the e string then 13-12-13 on the b string then 12-17-12 on the e string then back down..repeat as desired...in a sixteen note triplet fashion. Works great for the minor 7's too! Shred heaven!!! :D

Very nice one, thanks for posting that!! :rock:

This sub forum is turning out to be better than the naysayers said it would :LOL: :LOL:

Back