Heritage and modern creambacks?

PSGuitar

I was set to get a Bogner 412 with V30/H30. I tend to like the lows and punch of heavy magnets but I found a Splawn hybrid slant 412 with Celestion Modern Creambacks and Heritage Creambacks.

I know creambacks but modern and heritage? Huh?
Heard of these?

Maybe I give some light magnets a try again. All my cabs use heavy magnets.

I have two Lynchbacks but Creamback M65s have more lows and are fuller. LBs are tighter though. Many prefer them.

There's only two creambacks I'm aware of, M65 and H75. I'm not sure what the seller is getting at with the modern vs heritage thing. Unless of course you consider original 70's creambacks.

There were three Heritage greenbacks, now discontinued - maybe he's referring to one of these.

Yes, I agree... Strange...

This is at a Guitar Center in Jersey.
I called and he says the Splawn has two Heritage Creambacks and Two Modern Creambacks...

I wish that made sense! Lol!

Splawn sells Creambacks - M and H I believe. Maybe he meant that.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree... Strange...

This is at a Guitar Center in Jersey.
I called and he says the Splawn has two Heritage Creambacks and Two Modern Creambacks...

I wish that made sense! Lol!

Splawn sells Cram backs - M and H I believe. Maybe he meant that.
I'll bet that's it. H and M and they think it's Heritage and Modern.

So I can buy this for $640 shipped or locally I can pick up the Bogner for $700, with V30/H30.
I have to decide. Lol.
Or hold off. Not in a rush. Lol.

Do any if you find the M65 or H75 good for high gain?

I like blending V30s and maybwbwith onw of these. I also have Lynchbacks at home.

Just sold my CL80s. :(

Do any if you find the M65 or H75 good for high gain?

I like blending V30s and maybwbwith onw of these. I also have Lynchbacks at home.

Just sold my CL80s. :(
I like the Creambback H-75 as a standalone with my EVH. But I also like how they mix with Celestion Relic 30's (Celestions own take on the V30 without the upper mid spike). They mix great especially because H-75's can get pretty sizzly fast.

I really like the M65 Creambacks. I have an Emperor 4x12 with those and Alnico Creams in an X pattern and it's been my go to for metal. But I've always been a fan of the Greenback tone (also own an EVH 412 which has been with me for almost a decade). I tried the H75's and I would describe them as woody and a bit harsh for my taste. Some players love them and I've read good things about the H75/Redback combo.

I tried the Relics but didn't like them, and went back to V30s!

I may go for it..

The Redbacks are just insanely good.
I may try this Splawn. I can always swap speakers down the road.

Celestion says the H has more mids. And is fatter than the M, but I found the H, a bit hollow.

I wouldn't want to question Celestion themselves, but that's at odds with my experience - and I'm a Celestion freak.

The H's practically always have more highs, and usually more lows than a comparable M - which is in effect less mids. Hollow isn't a term I'd use but yeah, you could call it slightly scooped. Maybe the Celestion rep has caught a weird virus or something.

FWIW I spoke with Scott about blending speakers and he said that the H and M Creambacks really paired well in a 4x12. I’d bet this particular 4x12 sounds pretty good.

I wouldn't want to question Celestion themselves, but that's at odds with my experience - and I'm a Celestion freak.

The H's practically always have more highs, and usually more lows than a comparable M - which is in effect less mids. Hollow isn't a term I'd use but yeah, you could call it slightly scooped. Maybe the Celestion rep has caught a weird virus or something.
Good points!

I do find that heavy magnets feel and sound fuller and bigger to me.... which is why I switched all my speakers from light magnets to heavy and have been using V30, Redbacks, K100s, CL80s, but i am curious to try Creambacks again.

I used to use Greenbacks and some others like Lynchbacks and tried Creamnacks before. The H75 seemed hollow for me, so I went back to the Redback.

FWIW I spoke with Scott about blending speakers and he said that the H and M Creambacks really paired well in a 4x12. I’d bet this particular 4x12 sounds pretty good.
Yes, I would like to give a shot.
This is a guitar center and maybe I can get the price down. With tax and shipping, I'm already at $700.:(

I could also just save money and grab a used Marshall from the 80s/90s made in England.

Last edited:
All but the G12 65 according to Celestion, although there still seems to be stock available. Maybe they didn't sell well, or they couldn't keep up the 'made in the UK' tradition, but it's a bummer.

However the EVH is still available, so that's the M covered.

Back