Hermansson transformers are enormous!

The Hermansson 100W transformers have more iron than the 250W Marshall JCM800 model 2000 I recently rebuilt for Fredrik Thordendal 😅. My chassis are ordered in 2mm stainless steel. 💪🏻
36BE11CD-0A72-468F-A143-D37326D4E77B.jpeg

That might work for 8 strings, but it's way too thin, clanky and brittle for my taste. I don't care how much low end is happening in the room, as the mids are voiced on the thin side. The other two recent Hermanssons sound way better.
Agreed. Might be a trade off in the mids that comes with that wattage. The clips of the others sound pretty similar to me, but I really like the tightness and seems like they’d respond fast

Agreed. Might be a trade off in the mids that comes with that wattage. The clips of the others sound pretty similar to me, but I really like the tightness and seems like they’d respond fast
Sometimes I feel amp builders, in the race to create the tightest tube amp possible may sacrifice too much richness, warmth and body to get such immediacy and tightness. I always think of these tradeoffs in ratios. Maybe amp A is tighter than amp B by a little, but to get that extra bit of tightness, a whole lot of warmth and more pleasing frequencies were lost. Sometimes the tradeoff isn't worth it. Just my perspective.

Sometimes I feel amp builders, in the race to create the tightest tube amp possible may sacrifice too much richness, warmth and body to get such immediacy and tightness. I always think of these tradeoffs in ratios. Maybe amp A is tighter than amp B by a little, but to get that extra bit of tightness, a whole lot of warmth and more pleasing frequencies were lost. Sometimes the tradeoff isn't worth it. Just my perspective.

I completely agree with you, super tight and clanky ain’t for me either, but let’s keep in mind who this particular amp was made for. It’s all about suiting the style of the player.

That’s been my experience in general. There seems to be trade offs with everything. I still kept some super tight stuff because sometimes I want that. My favorite gear tend to have a good blend of both, but still leaning more toward a richer, more full frequency tone. You’ve seen a million times now how much hollow amps tend to bother my ears lol

Last edited:
Back