How about the basics?

Juggernaut

I don't know how many people are here like me, completely self taught, learned by ear and Tab, have NO theory knowledge at all.

anyone wanna share some good ideas, etc.... for actually learning the basics, beyond power chords and chromatic runs :LOL: :LOL:

Juggernaut":25borrqj said:
I don't know how many people are here like me, completely self taught, learned by ear and Tab, have NO theory knowledge at all.

anyone wanna share some good ideas, etc.... for actually learning the basics, beyond power chords and chromatic runs :LOL: :LOL:

IMHO in order to learn theory you need to first have a few basics like:

Know where all the notes are on the neck
Know all the major triads + the 7th
Understand intervals
Get a working knowledge of the circle of 5ths
Know how to construct a scale
Know how to construct a chord

amiller":34j750qc said:
Juggernaut":34j750qc said:

Understand intervals

teach me ;)

Juggernaut":2tki8jly said:

Not even TAB for me....no patience...takes waaay too long :D

amiller":2tki8jly said:
Juggernaut":2tki8jly said:

Understand intervals

I'd love to know WHY what I play works, if that makes sense... :doh:

I've asked people who theoretically should know, but you have no idea how tough it's been to get an answer that makes any sense to me at all.

Very frustrating.

Juggernaut":2cfdv87k said:

amiller hit it perfectly IMHO in what is needed to get a good start, when you say teach me what do you want to tackle first?

jcj":3m41wo7h said:
Juggernaut":3m41wo7h said:

amiller":3m41wo7h said:
Juggernaut":3m41wo7h said:

Understand intervals

I've asked people who theoretically should know, but you have no idea how tough it's been to get an answer that makes any sense to me at all.

Very frustrating.

I am self taught and I truly think learning by ear and getting your ear tuned in is better to do before learning theory. A lot of people will disagree. However IMHO no amount of theory can replace a good ear. Theory can teach you why what you play works and open new doors you may not see or think of which is what I find very cool about it, more so than anything honestly for me.

ttosh":3qt5rr83 said:
jcj":3qt5rr83 said:
Juggernaut":3qt5rr83 said:

amiller":3qt5rr83 said:
Juggernaut":3qt5rr83 said:

Understand intervals

Very frustrating.

I am self taught and I truly think learning by ear and getting your ear tuned in is better to do before learning theory. A lot of people will disagree. However IMHO no amount of theory can replace a good ear. Theory can teach you why what you play works and open new doors you may not see or think of which is what I find very cool about it, more so than anything honestly for me.

That's absolutely why I'm interested.

I don't have much trouble figuring things out, but the why would be GREAT to learn.

I know I'm significantly limiting myself by not knowing, but every time I look into this stuff, there's an assumed level of knowledge that I just don't have.

It's like reading a really bad technical manual for me :LOL: :LOL:

as far as knowing the notes on the fretboard, I can't just pick any fret and tell you right away what i is, but I can once I map it out, in other words I can do it, I'm just not fluent at it.

Scales, Chords, would be a good place to start I suppose..... unless someone else has a better place to start. ;)

Juggernaut":27d3899q said:
as far as knowing the notes on the fretboard, I can't just pick any fret and tell you right away what i is, but I can once I map it out, in other words I can do it, I'm just not fluent at it.

Scales, Chords, would be a good place to start I suppose..... unless someone else has a better place to start. ;)

I used to be the same as you in regards to figuring out what note was where. I'm telling you, and I can't stress this enough, if you learn how to identify ANY note on the fretboard at will your ability to learn theory and work out chords will be DRAMATICALLY improved. The process of learning the notes on the fretboard is a lot easier than you think once you've COMMITED to doing so. I have another thread referencing the FREE software Fretpro. The software includes a game designed specifically for memorizing the notes on the fretboard. It's easier than you think and the benefit is MUCH greater than you might think.

OK, that's my soapbox speach about learning the notes on the fretboard. :gethim: :D :LOL: :LOL:

hey cool, thanks, anything at this point, been kinda stagnant lately, and wanting to learn, so this will help ;)

amiller":103lszvk said:
Juggernaut":103lszvk said:

I used to be the same as you in regards to figuring out what note was where. I'm telling you, and I can't stress this enough, if you learn how to identify ANY note on the fretboard at will your ability to learn theory and work out chords will be DRAMATICALLY improved. The process of learning the notes on the fretboard is a lot easier than you think once you've COMMITED to doing so. I have another thread referencing the FREE software Fretpro. The software includes a game designed specifically for memorizing the notes on the fretboard. It's easier than you think and the benefit is MUCH greater than you might think.

OK, that's my soapbox speach about learning the notes on the fretboard. :gethim: :D :LOL: :LOL:

Going to try the Fretpro thing.

Thanks for the tip.

I am sort of self taught, started when I was 15 and played with a bass player. I learned all the basic chords then progressive chords never really learned to play lead back then.

Over the years and several mental blocks I took some lessons and leaned Jazz and blues chords and started playing the leads I would here in my head.

I tried to learn theory and scales and wanted to play all that flashy stuff like in the late 80's but ended up writing/playing my own style. I have a Jazzy Blues style of playing and some Celtic, Floyd flavoring (which Dan(Mailman) says kinda sounds like Jimmy Page) .

If you can learn Theory and Technique more power to ya but I think the best thing is to play your guitar a LOT and noodle around on it. I have only wrote about 4-5 songs in my head that I picked up the guitar and played note for note the first time, others were just messing around and they appeared. As for lead hearing and feeling it in your head helps me the most. I have been writing/playing more lead and been amazed.

Focus on your tone/style and play play play.

I'm completely self taught as well. I've been playing for 12 years or so and I just recently started taking lessons, cause' I felt my playing was only getting me so far and I wanted to expand on my knowledge. It used to be so hard jamming with people. They'd want to know what key I was in and I could never tell them. I just played. Recently, with the help of the lessons I'm becoming a better player. I'm able to play the Satch stuff much better and I've been learning some different scales. My playing style is resembling Gary Hoey right now.

amiller":35hsmh5d said:
Juggernaut":35hsmh5d said:

Understand intervals

I agree here. I have been playing for 26 years, but it was only 4 years ago before I started learning stuff about theory. I basically started all over again. I bought some books from MIT that really opened my eyes. Harmony & Theory, Rhythm guitar, solo guitar, music reading are a few of the books I have picked up and have been studying at my own pace.
This is how I learned what amiller posted as basic theory. If you do not know that, then you need to start from the beginning. It will all start to come clearer. I have a few shock and ah moments learning some things in theory. If you already have some chops, you can only get better.

Back