How cranked to sound good?

johnpace2

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about the newer 100 Watt metal (the white one) in the classifieds and I was wondering how loud they have to be to sound good? I know these aren't bedroom amps, but can they be played at reasonable volumes and sound good?

I know it's a subjective question, but no one caries these locally and I've never been able to try one in person.

Thanks!
John

John:

I think the amps start to come alive at or after '4' on the Lead Master. That's a reasonably loud dB level (certainly not for "bedroom" use, or while someone's sleeping in the next room), but for reference, I would probably run it at '5' or slightly higher at rehearsal or at a gig.

Under '4' you can get some decent, low volume tones for noodling at home. I find the Masters actually have a reasonable taper, at least on the MCII they do.

I'm sure you would have no issues with these amps. Yes, they sound better the louder you crank them up, but they don't have to be "blowing out the windows" to sound great.

That amp is so badass! If had any sense i'd jump on it myself.

MTL has just enough more gain than the MC i had, that it's actually not too bad at bedroom.

That one having a loop is a big plus, and the reason i want it. I love my MTL, but loop would be nice.

I have a custom MC50 (mods by Rick) that's got a hellacious amount of gain and can sound good with master near 2-3, it's loud for a 50 watt amp. Did you get that White MTL? That amp looked amazing

rlord1974":3agjga2b said:
John:

I think the amps start to come alive at or after '4' on the Lead Master. That's a reasonably loud dB level (certainly not for "bedroom" use, or while someone's sleeping in the next room), but for reference, I would probably run it at '5' or slightly higher at rehearsal or at a gig.

Under '4' you can get some decent, low volume tones for noodling at home. I find the Masters actually have a reasonable taper, at least on the MCII they do.

I'm sure you would have no issues with these amps. Yes, they sound better the louder you crank them up, but they don't have to be "blowing out the windows" to sound great.

I have a Wizard Metal from '93 and it's pretty loud when with the master at 9:00. At that setting it's nowwhere near low volume home playing. The taper on the earlier pots must be different.

I have an older MC50. It can sound good at a not quite bedroom level. At a gig or "bar" level....I can't find anything that sounds better. I keep trying...but can't find it. :rock:

All of my MC I's made in 2010 are at gig level volume at 9am! like a fender or a roccaforte its at volume very quickly!

Back