How Old are Ya Guys?

Age + username + occupation + other metadata a quick Google session can uncover = doxxed.
The first 3 alone can be obtained from just this forum.
You old guys need to be a bit more careful with the potentially identifying information you so willingly share on the net.

Age + username + occupation + other metadata a quick Google session can uncover = doxxed.
You old guys need to be a bit more careful with the potentially identifying information you so willingly share on the net.
That's why I personally do not provide that level of specifics and I think I only have this username one other place - GGF.

Us old guys have been willingly giving out our basic info online for 30 years now. Stopping now won't change the damage we did in the past!

But seriously, I do *try* to limit what info I post online; started being cognizant of that 6-7 years ago.

Damn, wouldn't want anyone finding out I rip rod on cam for Bitcoin for a living.

Was reading a thread earlier. Said Lot of us live in nostalgic mind frame.
I’m 51. So yeah I’m gonna be a 70s 80s guy.
Barely know anything from the 90s on up.

Just want some feedback. Not saying nothing bad came from 90s plus.
Any one can post for sure. 4 year old child to 100 year old.

Just curious on folks ages.
I'm 72, been playing since I was 8yo. I've been pro since I was 22, so 50 years of pro playing. I've played all sorts of stuff from 50s to present day.

Here's the demographics so far:

RigTalkGraph.JPG

What is interesting is that the bell curve sits around 1970 - people who would have been in high school during the mid to late 1980s, rather than who may have been performing in bands (outside of high school garage bands) during the 1980s. Is this forum more about nostalgia for adolescence?

There are a few distinct groups:
  • 1950s to early 1960s: only a few people. Late 'Baby Boomers'
  • Mid 1960s: average about 4-5 people per birth year, early 'Gen X'
  • Late 1960s to mid 1970s: the main group, squarely in 'Gen X'
  • Late 1970s to early 1980s: about 4-5 people per birth year, a cross between late 'Gen X', 'Xennials', and early 'Millennials' influenced by older siblings or cousins from 'Gen X'
  • Early 1980s to early 1990s: about 2-3 people per birth year, sometimes skipping, 'Millennials'
  • Mid-late 1990s: the smallest demographic, in fact only 2 people born in 1997, Late 'Millennials' and 'Gen Z/iGen'.

I was born in 1969, played my first high school gigs in '83 (14) and first bar gigs and local festivals in '84 (15). I was probably a bit younger than most of the people around, but there were a lot of high school aged dudes playing out at that point. Drinking age was 18 still, and nobody cared if you were underage - no penalties against the bar as I recall, and I think we were actually legal on stage at 16. I'd just help haul gear in from the ally and then just stay there for the evening. No problem. No big deal. (I was tall too, so that definitely helped.)

Anyhow, lots of guys by 16/17 locally, mixed in with lots of 20-somethings. It wasn't segregated by age.

How many people here still actively seek out new music? I read as article says that the average person stops listening to new music in their early 30’s. I find it sad. It leaves success of new artists in the hands of the kids. With all the attention deficits we don’t have a chance.

Back