Hungarian Minor with ^6?

PeteLaramee

What is the name of this scale? I've been playing with it for a while, but I can't find the name. It's the Hungarian minor with a raised 6.

Example...in A minor
A - B - C - D# - E - F# - G# - A

I guess you could consider it a Melodic Minor with a raised 4. So, what would you call it?

:poke:

War Admiral":3udbz9hp said:
Its a Lydian b3 IV Harmonic Major ;) The F# is a natural 6th, its not raised.
Actually - yes, I just meant raising it from where it was in that scale...to the natural 6th. :thumbsup:

Having said that - you lost me. :LOL: :LOL: I see if you flat the 3 of the A Lydian you get this same scale, but how can it be called a major if it has the minor 3rd? I knew I should've paid more attention to these explanations in theory class. :yes: :LOL: :LOL: I was hoping there would be a more exotic name for it...like "the Melodic Gypsy Minor" or something like that. :LOL: :LOL:

Its not a major scale...its a minor scale just like dorian is the II mode in any major scale. Get it? Any IV mode of a major scale is lydian...so the IV mode of the Harmonic Major is also Lydian but in the Harmonic Major intervals, the third of the Lydian mode is a minor third...unlike the normal Major scale where it is a major third.

War Admiral":3p42lojb said:
Its a Lydian b3 which is the IV mode of the Harmonic Major scale ;) The F# is a natural 6th, its not raised.
Not with major 7 in there... mode IV of E harm. min... is A-B-C-D#-E-F#-G

War Admiral":16b2jjm0 said:
Its not a major scale...its a minor scale just like dorian is the II mode in any major scale. Get it? Any IV mode of a major scale is lydian...so the IV mode of the Harmonic Major is also Lydian but in the Harmonic Major intervals, the third of the Lydian mode is a minor third...unlike the normal Major scale where it is a major third.

Ok - now that makes perfect sense to me. I didn't know Any IV mode of a major scale is lydian... !!! I thought it only referred to the IV of the Natural Major...and all the Dorian, Locrian, Phrygian, etc names only refered to the diatonic scales. Shit, where were you in 1989?

...ah...who am I kidding? I would've been just as hungover no matter who was teaching those classes. :cry: :LOL: :LOL:

PeteLaramee":1wpsum9c said:
War Admiral":1wpsum9c said:

Ok - now that makes perfect sense to me. I didn't know Any IV mode of a major scale is lydian... !!! I thought it only referred to the IV of the Natural Major...and all the Dorian, Locrian, Phrygian, etc names only refered to the diatonic scales. Shit, where were you in 1989?

...ah...who am I kidding? I would've been just as hungover no matter who was teaching those classes. :cry: :LOL: :LOL:
Glad I could help man!! I was pretty drunk back then too...lol! :LOL: :LOL:

War Admiral":128kc5gk said:
PeteLaramee":128kc5gk said:
War Admiral":128kc5gk said:

I see you're in Quebec. I was in Vermont at the time so I was often drunk on Canadian beer. I used to drink Labatts and Molson at that time. :thumbsup:

PeteLaramee":39in9ytx said:
War Admiral":39in9ytx said:
PeteLaramee":39in9ytx said:
War Admiral":39in9ytx said:

I see you're in Quebec. I was in Vermont at the time so I was often drunk on Canadian beer. I used to drink Labatts and Molson at that time. :thumbsup:
Labatt and Molson...for me here that means Budweiser and Coors Light respectively!! Great stuff....damn I'm getting thirsty now. :aww: :D

degenaro":2zi3cqfy said:
War Admiral":2zi3cqfy said:
Its a Lydian b3 which is the IV mode of the Harmonic Major scale ;) The F# is a natural 6th, its not raised.
Not with major 7 in there... mode IV of E harm. min... is A-B-C-D#-E-F#-G
The IV of the E harmonic major. I was thrown off too.

War Admiral":seyz4nfv said:
who was talking about E harmonic minor? I still stand by my original post...look it up.
Reading comprehension failure on my part...yes it is harmonic major...

Back