I think something might be wrong with one of my Splawn cabs.

That is pretty much what I'm experiencing between my Creamback cab vs. the Blackback Cab (basically a 25 watt GB, just different colored plastic). The CB is just a little more "edgey" and brighter sounding.

As far as this comparison goes.. There is no comparison, the GB kills that Scumback IMHO. But, where are you going to find a quad of Pre-Rola GB's without dropping some serious coinage.. LOL
Alot of guys in the comments on youtube preferred the m55. For me it's a matter of taste. Where it gets more subjective is what amps you pairr certain speakers with. Anything brite or harsh or dark sounding won't pair well with a Quick Rod. But there are guys out there that like v30's with their QR!!

Alot of guys in the comments on youtube preferred the m55. For me it's a matter of taste. Where it gets more subjective is what amps you pairr certain speakers with. Anything brite or harsh or dark sounding won't pair well with a Quick Rod. But there are guys out there that like v30's with their QR!!

Agreed, very subjective. I just don't want to drop $400-$500 for a quad of speakers, only to find out I don't like them. I had been looking for some V30's, but I think I'm past that now. I've kind of been keeping my eye out for some 16 ohm Governor/Man O War's too, and maybe just replace what's in there with the same thing. I seem to remember a thread over at the Splawn forum that had a bunch of different speaker combo/head sound clips and from what I remember.. the Gov/Man O War sounded pretty good.

I had a 4x12 with gov and manowars x patterned. I prefered one of them over the other but don't remember which. But overall that cab sounded very good. It didn't sound as warm and big as my other cab which had greenies and creamies x patterned.
You could try putting up ad locally for someone to trade speakers with 16ohm for 8ohm. I got lucky with that one time. I traded 4 for 4 greenies chinese made just basically swapped ohms impedance.
Who knows maybe someone will offer you other brand you might prefer!

plus those blue framed Scumbacks were not consistent according to Jim. see if you can find a comparison against a black framed
Scumback M speaker revisit.
I really wanted to like the Creamback, I tried them with my JVM and my Splawn
couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

I'd say right now, I could use either of my cabs with the CB's or the BB's and be happy. If I were tasked with playing more modern stuff, I'd probably stick with the Creamback cab, and use the BB for more classic rock type stuff but I feel like they could interchange pretty easily with some EQ tweaking. I had a little fun with them last weekend, and opened the amps up a bit... First time I've walked away with a noticable ringing in my ears in a long time. LOL I'm thinking about investing in a decent wireless guitar rig, so I can stay out in the separated part of the basement.

When I got done, and went upstairs.. All my wife said was.. "Wow, you were really jamming down there!". LOL

I listened to most of them quickly and i like the gov/sbl the best. Too bad he didn't do manowar/sbl.......

I have loads of speakers but have only heard 1 Smallblock (It's stil in my StreetRod combo I've had about 10 years or more now) . . The Man-O-War and any type of Greenback speaker (like Scumbacks, original Greenbacks, original tan/cremebacks (from the 70's) , Splawn Small Blocks,etc) aren't even comparable. The Man-O-War is wayyyy brighter and wayyyy louder. That's my experience. I could see how the Governors and Man-O-Wars could be nice together as the Governor is very neutral and much duller than a Man-O War and they'd balance out nicely . Anyway, this might be an old thread but i stumbled on it and just wanted to mention those 2 speakers couldn't be more different

Eric

Little late here but you had your amp set at 16 ohms and the cab turned out to be 8 ohms ? Did you by any chance play thru the cab with your amp set to 8 ohms to see if there was a difference in sound ? A few years back I mistakenly had my SS set at 16 ohms playing thru an 8 ohm cab and the sound I was getting was exactly what you described bright and fizzy. Sounds like your gonna swap out the speakers but I was just curious

Little late here but you had your amp set at 16 ohms and the cab turned out to be 8 ohms ? Did you by any chance play thru the cab with your amp set to 8 ohms to see if there was a difference in sound ? A few years back I mistakenly had my SS set at 16 ohms playing thru an 8 ohm cab and the sound I was getting was exactly what you described bright and fizzy. Sounds like your gonna swap out the speakers but I was just curious

Under normal circumstances, I would just match the impedence of the head to the cab. In this case, I'm using an amp switcher to run several different heads into several different cabs. Unfortunately, this means that all my cabs have to be the same impedence so that's why I'm looking at switching speakers. Oddly enough, it works the other way too. LOL I have a Mesa Single Rec 50 watt head that I can't use in this switching setup, because the highest impedence tap it's got on it is 8 ohm. So, same thing but in reverse.

**Edit**

I think I may have misread what you were asking.. I didn't actually try the speaker with one of the heads set at 8 ohms, but I probably should. LOL The cab has been sitting with the back off of it since I opened it up to look at the writing. I'd left it open because I've got some local ads up looking for either some trades for 16 ohm speakers or to sell if someone wanted them.

Last edited:
In the Mesa manuals it says you mismatch 1 direction and your amp will be fine. Same with your Splawns.

I did some looking into that, and if I was understanding correctly.. you're safe if you run your amp into a higher impedence (by one magnitude). So, like running an 8 ohm amp in to a 16 ohm cab would be OK and sound a bit darker but going the other way is hard on the OT.

I ended up picking up a set of 16 ohm Celestion 25 watt Greenies tonight. Should be here by the end of the week, hopefully.

I did some looking into that, and if I was understanding correctly.. you're safe if you run your amp into a higher impedence (by one magnitude). So, like running an 8 ohm amp in to a 16 ohm cab would be OK and sound a bit darker but going the other way is hard on the OT.

I ended up picking up a set of 16 ohm Celestion 25 watt Greenies tonight. Should be here by the end of the week, hopefully.
Correct

This is complicated but good reference. BTW - I always match.

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/Amplitudes/2013/June/Speaker Impedance Matching and Hookup.pdf

Got my Celestion Greenies in yesterday, hoping to get them put in by this weekend.. or this weekend at the latest. That will give me a Splawn angled Creamback cab, a Marshall angled JCM800 w/Blackback cab and a Splawn straight Greenback Cab. Be curious to hear the difference in how they sound.

So, assuming that I'm going to be replacing these Eminence 8 ohms with something in the 16 ohm range. What suggestions do you have for replacements? Currently, I've got one Splawn cab with Creambacks in it, and a Marshall JCM800 cab with a a mix of 1975-1976 25 watt Blackbacks. The Creamback/Blackback cabs sound similar, with the Creamback cab having a bit more "edge" to it. So, I'm looking for something for something with a different voice.
I love the way the Celestion EVH speakers sound with my Quickrod.

Back