I want an Egnater amp but I'm scared!!!!! Insight please

Bucksears":1hh90ld5 said:
yeti":1hh90ld5 said:
again, you'd be fine if it has the "m" in the serial #.

I get what you're saying and I'm considering it.
Only channel that didn't impress me on the TM is the Clean 2. Sounds like it WANTS to get to AC/DC crunch-level, but doesn't quite get there. Might have to try that one on the lowest-wattage setting, and/or some higher gain tube in the right spot.

thx

yeah, it's more of a pagey channel, but does wake up with a boost. if 'you're looking for the ac/dc tone, that's in vintage 1 on vintage with the contour out and the gain around 10oclocl.

for what it's worth, stock groove tubes are shuguang 12ax7 tubes. they're about as high gain as you're going to get in there, unless you're willing to drop some NOS or VOS tubes in or buy into the current production snake oil that is out there. personally, id' just find a few VOS RFT tubes and slap them in v1-4 and be done with it, they sound the most toneful and still are high gain, at least to my ears.. a JJ in v5 does seem to make the contour respond a bit different than the stock groove tubes. and a sovtek 12ax7LPS for the PI is a great choice, as is the mullard cv4024. i'll spare you the descriptions, cause everyone hears stuff differently...but those last 2 suggestions are improvements over the groove tubes IMHO.

i also run a 12bz7 in my effects loop tube slot...as i use the patch cable method and the amps capabilities to clean boost itself. it seems to give a touch more gain than a 12ax7.

i've spent hours upon hours rolling tubes in this amp....day after day. taking notes, making sound clips.

it was tedious, but i learned a lot about what tonally works in this amp for my needs.

i settled on an electroharmonix standard 12ax7 for my reverb tube.

you can read here what i posted about tubes in this amp if you want to:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=129323&p=1504879&hilit=rft#p1504879

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=116817&p=1368708&hilit=rft#p1368708

search.php?keywords=ruby&terms=all&author=yeti&fid

have fun, good luck!

I've had 2 egnaters a renegade and a tweaker 40. The renegade I didn't really care for it was pretty lifeless even with a tube change but the tweaker was pretty sweet right off the shelf and I still own it!!

Egnater sucks! Their customer service suck. They have many issues that start at the factory which should turn into a factory recall but instead get put on the buyer. I had a renegade head that sounded great until it crapped out on me. Tried to take it in to have it fixed and my tech had customer service literally hang up on him. Amp was just at 3 yrs old and they wouldn't even offer to try and make things right. Then just to try and get my amp back I finally broke down and tried to buy the part and it was going to cost almost as much as an aftermarket upgrade! Started off as an Egnater fan... Ended up a hater! I wouldn't even recommend one to my most tone deaf worst enemy who had millions to throw at parts to keep it running! ( because rest assured it WILL break down! )

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO THE OP.

I initially bought a USED Tweaker 40 head from GC at the latter part of 2013 and the PT went out shortly thereafter, but within the 30-day return window. Instead of being completely jaded by the experience, I came to grips with some facts.

1. Buying used is a bet...sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.
2. Buying used from GC, especially something you have no idea what the previous owner did, and also an item that's been on the floor for people to, say, flip the power switch off and on repeatedly and God knows what else, adds to the probability of trouble.
3. I got lucky that it died within 30 days and could go recoup my money.
4. The Tweaker 40 is a very cool and powerful amp, and I knew I had to have one for the long haul.

So...I took what I paid for the used amplifier and dug about that same amount of $$$ again to put with it in order to buy a new Tweaker 40 head with a warranty. I did this because the tones are worth it, and I know what will happen to this amp beginning from the moment I took it out of the box. I use conditioned power and take care of the thing. Doesn't *guarantee* that I won't have a problem down the line, but that's what being the original purchaser with a warranty is there for.

I've seen the posts regarding blown transformers, issues with response time from customer service, and I was aware of all of that stuff before buying the new Tweaker. Bruce has admitted to issues with customer service and has been very open about it and has tried to address through changes in personnel and process. I'm sure he would be the first to admit that things are much better now, but are never perfect, and companies can always get better in this area. The product has his name on the front of it, and he is clearly trying to shore things up and get people taken care of. I wouldn't have a problem buying a Renegade, another Tweaker, one of the new pedals, or anything else in the product line.

So anyway, you asked for insight, and I've tried to provide whatever insight I have in the hope that it helps.

I would never buy used from GC. Sweetwater currently has several demo Tweakers available at reduced process. I would buy from them. Their customer service is top notch.

K

Jun 30 (2 days ago)

to begnater

Bruce,

I purchased a Renegade head, owned it for about 6 months and according to the tech it blew a power transformer. When he called your people to get a new one, as my amp was covered under factory warranty still, they even admitted to him that they had a known bad batch of transformers go threw the factory. When the tech asked for him to send out the replacement, the gentleman at the factory got defensive and cussed out the tech accusing him of just trying to get free parts. I really liked the sound of the amp and had a gig coming up so instead of trying to keep the fight going, and with him pretty pissed himself and not wanting to deal with your people anymore, I told him to just see how much the replacement would cost. When I was told it would be close to $160 with shipping and all I laughed and just had him order the Mercury Magnetics upgrade replacement for $30 more. After that was installed the amp worked for maybe 20-30 min more until crapping out on me again. On top of that experience the "tube blend" function which was one of the selling points of the amp to me never did work right once I got it home, but I just dealt with that cause again I was in a situation where I just simply needed my amp. I definitely agree with a comment I read somewhere about a major action needing to be taken by the people in some way. All of the comments I've read about transformers dying and then with the acknowledgment by one of your people that you knew there was a bad batch that went through the factory but yet nobody is willing to take care of it. I have since sold the amp for lack of patience, time and funds to deal with it. Sorry Bruce but the amp you made sounded good but is a complete piece of shit. As far as the people, I would have to venture to say the same about them. I e-mailed and e-mailed with absolutely no response and then to hear how they treated the tech, sad sad sad...

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM, <admin@rig-talk.com> wrote:

Hello hollowbody2,

The following is an e-mail sent to you by bruce egnater via your account on
"Rig-Talk". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you
find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following
address:

admin@rig-talk.com

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers). Please note that the
reply address to this e-mail has been set to that of bruce egnater.

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear HB,
I'm sorry about your bad experience. Can you please explain exactly
what happened with the amp and our customer service people?
Thanks
Bruce

Found you emails in my spam folder. They were rejected because of some wording in the text. Responded to you. Not much I can do since you already sold the amp but I can continue to address issues to improve. No need to continue here but please do respond to my email.
Thanks
Bruce

Back