Ideas for DOUBLING guitar

OUTLAW1969

What is your favorite way, or effect, to "double" your guitar for added thickness and texture (aside from multi-tracking)? I need ideas for an effect that I can use live, instead of double tracking. I have my usual methods, but just checking to see if I am missing something that you guys might know of.... THANKS.

Slight delay? De-tuner?

J.B. you are more than free to jump in here, because this is all your fault!!! :LOL: :LOL:

OUTLAW1969":cffe7 said:
What is your favorite way, or effect, to "double" your guitar for added thickness and texture (aside from multi-tracking)? I need ideas for an effect that I can use live, instead of double tracking. I have my usual methods, but just checking to see if I am missing something that you guys might know of.... THANKS.

Slight delay? De-tuner?

J.B. you are more than free to jump in here, because this is all your fault!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Multiple amp setup/slaving maybe?

more cabs :LOL: :LOL:

although I go crazy on layering and embilshments when recording, live is a different thing althogether. I'm one who things that delayed train of thought takes too much balls away from the original. I'm weired in that I can't stand delays on distorted rhythm and rarely for solos.

Slaving or like a wet/dry/wet setup makes things sound huge. Some people have done it with just 1x12's on the side of the 4x12 and they seem to make that work for them quite well. It sounds massive with some detune or chorus in stereo along with the dry sound, you can get some stereo delay in there as well. Just has so much depth that I will never go back to playing with no effects or a dry sound.

Run two amps at once, each going into their own 4x12 cabinet.

On one amp, use a slight very slow chorus effect, and a very quick delay (quicker than slapback) to thicken up the tone.
One the other amp, use some slight reverb and maybe a slight detuning effect.

At least that's what I'll be doing.

I believe I read that John Petruicci uses a 7ms delay on one of his channels so either left or right and the other one is straight up. At least thats the basis for his stereo rig.

If you're the only guitarists, a stack/cab on each side of the stage should do. Otherwise, if it's something you plan to use at all times, I can't really think of anything else that wouldn't sound weird to me.

OneArmedScissor":28350 said:
If you're the only guitarists, a stack/cab on each side of the stage should do. Otherwise, if it's something you plan to use at all times, I can't really think of anything else that wouldn't sound weird to me.

The delay one channel %100 wet thing really does give stereo separation with no weird effects to my ear. Give it a try.

SgtThump":10ecb said:
I've never done this live, but I'd like to have two half-stacks with a stereo delay feeding my guitar to both amp heads. The delay would have a VERY slight difference between the left and right delay settings. Not real noticeable, but enough to sound like a doubled guitar track (kinda.) I bet that would rock!

Chris

That is quite genius, though it would have to be a 0.00000000000000000001 sized delay :LOL: :LOL:

redrol":6fd06 said:
OneArmedScissor":6fd06 said:

The delay one channel %100 wet thing really does give stereo separation with no weird effects to my ear. Give it a try.

Yup, that's the same thing I do as well with my setup and it works GREAT. You can really hear and FEEL the difference if you run a 100% wet signal about 7ms or a bit higher. If you're the only guitar player and need to make the sound more interesting, this setup works very well.

OUTLAW1969":dacf1 said:

Slight delay? De-tuner?

Haha! :D Sorry man. When I record a single track that I can't double, like a lead, I clone or copy the track, add delay to one side, and pan them left and right.

To do something like that live, I guess you'd have to two amps with one dry and one with some delay. What would be really cool, is if you had two stereo cabs and put each amp through both cabs (one on each side of each cab). Other than that, I dunno man. :D

I use a lightly-mixed chorus effect in front of my amp, which enriches the tone more and gives it a cool complex texture, without sounding too gimmicky or swashy.

The stereo rig thing is pretty cool but I find I actually enjoy my sound more when it's just in mono. Just seems to sound bigger on its own. The stereo thing does sound immense, but can get a little unfocused.

Running a pair of different amps that compliment each other tonally is a good way to get a ridiculously huge sound.

When I had a VH4, I ran it with my UltraLead, and the result was absolutely ridiculous.

Yea, I bought a cameron Marshall and a custom shop charvel from OUTLAW1969..I was about to write and say hello where have ya been? :LOL: :LOL:

danyeo":3czhtfa1 said:
Holy 3 year bump batman.

Back