Ideas for practice space

griffiti

Looking for ideas for a great space for band rehearsals. One crazy idea I had was to rent a storage shed? Probably way too hot. Ideas?

griffiti":2msvfo2c said:
Looking for ideas for a great space for band rehearsals. One crazy idea I had was to rent a storage shed? Probably way too hot. Ideas?

ask the owner if they will allow it... i did that for about 3 months. it is crowded as fuck though once you get the drumset setup, and if it rains you need to watch out for a flooding floor. we got flooded in once, that was definately not fun.

the next idea was to ask a church to borrow/pay for their common ground area to practice when the building is not in use.

i also did that for a while. the conditions sucked though - the terms of conditions were no heat, no air, no lighting from the building, and not getting on stage/using PA. the only thing we were allowed were the power outlets to run our stuff and to bring our own lighting.

it also sucked packing our shit 4x a week (or more), but it gave us a place to play.

the other idea is to invest in those build-it-yourself car covers, wall it in yourself, and power it yourself. pissy neighbors? just means you need more wood/foam to invest.

not having a practice space is the entire reason i really dont play anymore. if you cant play, you cant play. im on the verge of giving up on music until i have the cash to spend to make it a reality - which right now in my life just is not going to happen in this economy.

that sucks dude i used to practice with my old band in my basement and my other guitarists garage....once it got really cold or hot we'd move to my basement wer the elements werent an issue

my neighbors used to bitch but i didnt care at all....fuck em i thought we sounded good and tight :D

i guess i dont know how it is not to have a place to play that must suck

i say find someone that has a basement and plays an instrument, take them in the band and there you go you have a place to play :rock:

Big Rich":yn4ri54a said:
i say find someone that has a basement and plays an instrument, take them in the band and there you go you have a place to play :rock:

but then you run into getting your shit robbed from you... i had a friend get a gun pulled on him and his guitars being stolen.

thats the catch 10 - not getting shot over stupid shit - or going to places where its unsafe or people you have NO clue who they are.

We rent a space from a warehouse/small company/garage building. No noise complaints since all the neighbors are noisy too.

Here in Nashville there are 3 main options. 1)Pro facilities. they provide PA staging lighting etc... but they are rent at an hourly rate and you have to setup/tear down for every rehersal.

2) Storage facilities. If you can find a climate controlled one that may workout.
3) Band members/friends home. Most cost effective by far.

as someone mentioned above, try to find a climate contrlled storage facility. thats what we have used for the last few years. if the managers cool, it works out. they can get more as a rehearsal space than for just storage.. costs us about 170 a month.

griffiti":jyzlyx9g said:

The singer from the band I just left who also plays drums in a band called Black Emerald... they have a teacher at the college who owns a farm and they've basicly rented out a shed at the end of his garden for a fixed monthly fee, and it's theirs pretty much, matress on the door and the walls are pretty thick and they can play whenver they like aslong as it's tidy.

We used our drummer and guitarrist (brothers) house when we played together, we also used a practice studio, which was great if you can put up with all Line 6 gear and shit drumkits, but the PA was fantastic and lots of good space to use and cool environment, expensive though.

I'm gonna take my family's basement as no one uses it for anything, I also play drums (and bass for that matter) so I'll have a drumkit, guitar rig and an 80w bass amp (when I buy it) down there, so that's all I'm gonna need.. other than PA. May buy a 100w keyboard amp or something.

Just a few thoughts.

Do they not have dedicated rehearsal spaces/facilities in your area? Man we have an overflowing amount. I'm always getting emails and stuff from local lists to move to a "new and improved" rehearsal space.

I manage a bar thats about 10,000 square feet and has a 30 ft' stage and its only open 3 nights a week. I have they keys to the front door and and the owner is a really good friend of mine so he's more than happy to let me use the space when the bar isn't open. :D

griffiti":op1ujdfn said:
Looking for ideas for a great space for band rehearsals

my spare bedroom is great. nothing like rolling out of bed, taking a shit, brewing a pot of coffee and getting right to work on a cold new england morning. Neighbors?? maybe im an asshole but i honestly dont give a shit. theres a drummer that lives a few houses down on the other side of the street that if im outside i can hear playing but it certainly isnt anything thats gonna cause a problem and i live on a busy street anyway so the cars and trucks and fire engines going by at 45mph constantly drowns out most of it. we never play past 5 or 6 oclock anyway so i dont see it being an issue. fuck having to pay to play somewhere

Back