If ya don't have a Hagen

Me":aiar6fnx said:
Btw, if anyone has experience of the Bogner XTC and various Diezels, would you say the Hagen is *anything* more like it than the Herbert (people talk about it being raw/open/less compressed?!?!)? Obviously not a very comparable amp on the face of it, but I have an XTC 20th anniversary. It's an absolutely beautiful amp, but just won't do what my Diezel Herbert does that I love it for, so I don't use it as much as I should. But if a Hagen was a *little* more like that amp than my Herbert, that'd be a driver for saving my pennies up. Making an amp "bluesier"/"spongier" or more classic sounding but while retaining that massive modern rich Diezel punch may be an oxymoron though. I just love a bit of what that amp gives me in terms of a certain 'woody'/'classic' sound in medium gain areas often, but the Herbert wins more on overall what I want/need. No access to try them all out though. Trying to describe sound is impossible, but maybe drawing parallels to other amps works? :)
Been through the whole mess of hi-gainers out there... Herbert didn't speak to me, but it speaks to many.
Still in the arsenal 20thXTC-EL34, 20thShiva, D-Moll, VH4, Hagen

What gets the most use?? Hagen and the 20thX

What do I love about the Hagen? Better yet - what's the difference between it and the VH4?? Well, the mids shelf is just a touch different, it's more sensitive an amp to playing, response, touch-dynamics, etc., it can sound incredibly open and grinding, but it can also become heavy and hostile, just like the VH4, with proper palm-mute applications. Its cleans are better, its crunch is better, I think the Ch.3 can do the the VH4, but the VH4 Ch.3 can't do the Hagen, and the 4th Channel isn't just MOAR GAIN, although it can be, it can be used as a solo channel, a boosted Ch.3 channel, a scooped "mid-cut" style channel, anything really...it's a bloody versatile amp. THe VH4, I spend 90% on Ch.3 - the Hagen? I spend 90% on Ch.1, 2 and 3, and 10% on the 4th. INCREDIBLE amp, and really sounds best loud!! Not pipsqueak bedroom levels - although it *can* do Madison Square Bedroom, it just tends to fizz up a smidge when both the MV and CVs are only opened a hair. It's more brutal sounding than the VH4. Why haven't I mentioned the Herbert here?? Herbert to me is a glorious amp, but I found it was too much with 6 power-tubes, and the mid-cut thing was never really "my thing". So I'm not gonna keep a heavy ticket amp like that around to collect dust. Why do I keep the VH4 in the stable?? Sentimental I suppose...but the Hagen and me are a definite team. Never gets lost in a band mix, ALWAYS sounds best loud, and offers both the open grind the likes of a raw Uberschall, but also tightens up like the VH4 with good right hand technique. Loves all kinds of pups, but really shines with moderate output magnets.

I love my 20thXTC - and I will state - Bogners, especially the 20thA X and Sheevs, NO Diezel can sound like them, but??? No Shiva or XTC can sound like a Diezel. You've got great taste in amps man. Great taste.

And just as an aside - Diezel Hagen Ch.2 slaughtered my former beloved JJ100, and the 20thShiva when dialled in right will slay the Butterslax - BIG claims - I know - but truth is what I hear and I've played all these amps side-by-side, at varying volumes, solo and with a band or just another player (guitarist or bassist) and always always always love how they sound.

D-Moll is a great grab and go option for all manner of shit - I play it out a lot - and have never had complaints - it's built like a brick shithouse and IMHO, it is a Herbert mini. Simple. It's versatile. I prefer its cleans over the VH4. But we're not talking the D-Moll here....it's Hagen talk. I'd say the Hagen is a slightly refined VH4'esque style amp, more than a Herbert'esque style amp. But the VH4 still retains its own voicings, I just don't find it NEARLY as versatile as the Hagen. And Hagen Likes Loud!!!

The Bogner 20thA-XTC is a masterpiece.

Here are my reviews:
https://en.audiofanzine.com/tube-guitar ... 12852.html

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100283

Peace
Unkle Mo :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Me":27zvv8o9 said:
Btw, if anyone has experience of the Bogner XTC and various Diezels, would you say the Hagen is *anything* more like it than the Herbert (people talk about it being raw/open/less compressed?!?!)? Obviously not a very comparable amp on the face of it, but I have an XTC 20th anniversary. It's an absolutely beautiful amp, but just won't do what my Diezel Herbert does that I love it for, so I don't use it as much as I should. But if a Hagen was a *little* more like that amp than my Herbert, that'd be a driver for saving my pennies up. Making an amp "bluesier"/"spongier" or more classic sounding but while retaining that massive modern rich Diezel punch may be an oxymoron though. I just love a bit of what that amp gives me in terms of a certain 'woody'/'classic' sound in medium gain areas often, but the Herbert wins more on overall what I want/need. No access to try them all out though. Trying to describe sound is impossible, but maybe drawing parallels to other amps works? :)

I have 11 amps (including a Bogner 101B) and the last arrived is the Hagen.

I also tried a VH4 before the Hagen and I was thinking days about buying it but something stopped me.
When the Hagen arrived I understood that simply the VH4 wasn't for me: the Hagen is my honeymoon now: the quintessencial modern amp with a gain coulour from the past. To my ears it has more gain on top than the VH4 and extended low end.

Sure the Herbert is more extreme but the Hagen is really well balanced and *could* imaginably be considered like a modern version/extension to the Ecstasy.

You're all a terrible bunch of bastards, with all this peer-pressure and pushing me into it, what could I do? It's like hanging out in a den of junkies. :thumbsdown: :doh: :cry:

Going to pick one up tonight (along with a 212RL with the hemp cone tone tubbies). If my boiler breaks and my amps are the only source of heating I have 'til the spring I blame *all* of you, but I'll remember Mo started it all and it's really his fault for bringing this up! :gethim: :LOL: :LOL:

JulesDB":2b43024q said:
Me":2b43024q said:

I have 11 amps (including a Bogner 101B) and the last arrived is the Hagen.

I also tried a VH4 before the Hagen and I was thinking days about buying it but something stopped me.
When the Hagen arrived I understood that simply the VH4 wasn't for me: the Hagen is my honeymoon now: the quintessencial modern amp with a gain coulour from the past. To my ears it has more gain on top than the VH4 and extended low end.

Sure the Herbert is more extreme but the Hagen is really well balanced and *could* imaginably be considered like a modern version/extension to the Ecstasy.

Any settings suggestions for channel 3/4 for metal tones (specifically death metal). I see you said it was quite reactive to pickup changes, I've found that also. Find it gets really bassy if your pickups have a lot of low end.

Me":1j14uq62 said:
You're all a terrible bunch of bastards, with all this peer-pressure and pushing me into it, what could I do? It's like hanging out in a den of junkies. :thumbsdown: :doh: :cry:

Going to pick one up tonight (along with a 212RL with the hemp cone tone tubbies). If my boiler breaks and my amps are the only source of heating I have 'til the spring I blame *all* of you, but I'll remember Mo started it all and it's really his fault for bringing this up! :gethim: :LOL: :LOL:

You will not regret the Hagen, it's excellent.
It'll heat your whole house too :LOL: :LOL:

Oh yeah, and it IS Uncle Mo's fault...Between the XTC love and the Hagen love...Mo's posts have been helpful in pushing me into financial ruin, yet incredible happiness at the same time :rock:

The hemp cones are also cool. Best to you mate!!

Me":3375u0d1 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys:

Fuck yes, I'll GLADLY take the blame!!

Hagen's a bit finnicky with speakers - just sayin' - no experience with the TTs but it loves G12K100s for neutral EQ and the usual V30 for kick. It takes time to dial in - but once ya do...well, you tell us.

But yes, I'll happily take the blame.
Stoked to read what you think of it when it lands and you settle in with it.
Peace Out and CONGRATZ!!!
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Unkle Mo

Nick2027xl":23xezncj said:
Any settings suggestions for channel 3/4 for metal tones (specifically death metal). I see you said it was quite reactive to pickup changes, I've found that also. Find it gets really bassy if your pickups have a lot of low end.
Follow your ears man....lay off the bass but the depth can stay engaged; roll back the mids, keep presence and treble at 2-3 o'clock, maybe a hair more for the treble, depending on your volume channel, gain on Ch.3 at 1-2 o'clock with CV at noon or more, and MV higher than 10 o'clock; Ch.4 is rolled back on the gain, maybe 10-11 o'clock, same principle with the channel volume in tandem with the master volume. Channel vols past noon open the circuit up and remove the squish, opening up the MV tops the roof off. If you keep channel down and MV down, it's squishy and a bit fizzled....ya gots to open either the Channel or the MV (or both) to get the sizzle.

Both are easily equipped to do death metal albeit I'll have a hard time gathering your exact tone in mind. I trust the Hagen is capable and yes, it's very sensitive to pups and their respective heights.

Lemme know if ya need anything else, happy to help
Mojo :rock:

GtarLover":3812vi8j said:
It'll heat your whole house too :LOL: :LOL:

Oh yeah, and it IS Uncle Mo's fault...Between the XTC love and the Hagen love...Mo's posts have been helpful in pushing me into financial ruin, yet incredible happiness at the same time :rock:

The hemp cones are also cool. Best to you mate!!
Getting a lot of heat around here :gethim: :gethim: :gethim: :gethim: :gethim: but ya know what?? So long as you're fucking LOVING your amps, Hagen in particular, and if that recommendation kinda sorta maybe came from me?? I'm guilty as charged and happy as hell for y'all :thumbsup: :rock: :2thumbsup: :salute:

You cats are awesome!! Get out there, roll up the levels, and blast some nuclear shit from those cabs a la Hagen :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Unkle Mo

I’ll agree with the K100’s
I have a pair of Diezel cabs with those and another pair with V30’s for flavor.
The mix is sweet, IMO. Of course YMMV

Side Note:
Love ya Mo, always appreciate your straight talk and advice.
I own my XTC 20th because of you as well and I’m not unhappy :thumbsup: :rock:
Well maybe not “because” of you, yet based on some of your excellent reviews. Killer amp as well.

GtarLover":2403pv25 said:
I’ll agree with the K100’s
I have a pair of Diezel cabs with those and another pair with V30’s for flavor.
The mix is sweet, IMO. Of course YMMV

Side Note:
Love ya Mo, always appreciate your straight talk and advice.
I own my XTC 20th because of you as well and I’m not unhappy :thumbsup: :rock:
Well maybe not “because” of you, yet based on some of your excellent reviews. Killer amp as well.
Super apreciated man, very kind words!! Thank you :2thumbsup: :rawk:

20thA-XTC is glorious for sure... That boosted blue?!?!?! :shocked: :inlove: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

But as this IS a DIEZEL forum, all I can say about the Hagen is it's ALL channels, ALL the time - they're all glorious and dole out whatever inspirational grunts one needs at that time. The clean to clean with a bit of hair - my gawd man...gives me shivers. Channel 2..?!?!?! HELLO HEAVIES!!! Ch.3 - VH4 with so much more - and channel 4?? Whatever the hell ya want it to be (and if yer finding it's a bit hissy, plunking a 5751 in your preamp lineup can help tremendously...but overall, it's super smooth running as is)

And now I'm off to play - My Hagen!! :rock:

LOVE YA CATS!!
Unkle Mo

Mailman1971":26l56b3e said:
Maybe someday. Still got my Herbert MKII
:D
EOS x2 Baby!

Each & Every Day {...} :D

Attachments

• David & Company.jpg
    David & Company.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 307
GtarLover":e8wmpeyf said:
A few weeks in and I'm definitely not regretting it yet.

On the other hand my credit card bill isn't due 'til sometime next week... :LOL: :LOL:

Me":b9c0u246 said:
GtarLover":b9c0u246 said:
A few weeks in and I'm definitely not regretting it yet.

On the other hand my credit card bill isn't due 'til sometime next week... :LOL: :LOL:

Just keep swimming, I mean playing :LOL: :LOL:
Glad you are enjoying brother!!

Diezel :rock:

I`m also right now in the market for a used Hagen to complement my BE100DLX and my XTC20th. :rock:

Since I had the amp already a few years back, are there any updates or improvements regarding a 2011 version and a totally new one from 2020?

Thank you

Stefan

I`m also right now in the market for a used Hagen to complement my BE100DLX and my XTC20th. :rock:

Since I had the amp already a few years back, are there any updates or improvements regarding a 2011 version and a totally new one from 2020?

Thank you

Stefan
Nope. Hagen is the same Hagen as the earlier Hagen. Only the tubes that come stock are different - and that's just a reliability/consistency call from Diezel HQ.

The Hagen is beastly. The stock KT77s are excellent - but some "may" prefer the mid-grunt of EL34s. What I dig about the 77s is they pronounce the lows that the Hagen delivers in spades. What I dig about the EL34s is they give that 250-400Hz midzone just a little extra oomph, but honestly?? When this amp gets cooking well past 10 o'clock on the MV and 1 o'clock on the channel volumes?? Differences are miniscule.

Back