In Room Mic of Speaker Shootout (Celestion, Scumback, Weber)

scottosan

@LPMojoGL and I decided to shoot out some new speakers for his 1984 50w JCM800. I decided to conceal the identity of the speakers for some fun.

******I suggest actually viewing from YouTube and with full range speakers. I did 9 time stamps in the video description. 1 at the rolled down volume, 1 rolled up and 1 boosted for each. It's easier to quickly compare. This is easier than comparing to memory, as you can quick switch back and forth. The differences are pretty significant.***

In no particular order, we compared:

Stock Modern Lead 70’s 2x8 ohms
Weber Legacy J55LD 2x8 ohm (basically old blue frame scumback)
Scumback BM75 2x16ohms black frame

Signal Chain: Classic Vibe Strat-> Sunset Strip Pickup ->My FrankenScreamer(Red LED, 808 Mode) for boosted parts -> high input JCM800

Well that messed up my order, I guess I'll flip A and C so:

Stock
Weber
Scumback

Which was my first-listen order, just the way you wrote them.

I think we should wait to say who has what right for a while. :)
If I say you have 2 right or all wrong we'd be able to deduce the order. Where's the fun in that.

I will say, I'm really happy with the way speakers are changing the sound. The cab size isn't the best, kind of stuffy, but certain speakers are shining. I've also tried V30 and Redback.
I plan to have a shootout, under mic in a mix and with room camera, and post it. It's gonna be a while before I can get it done. But it's gonna be good!

I had the 1x12 of this back in the day, with the stock G12-65. LOVED that amp/speaker.

Ron! This is hands down the best Marshall I've had. It stays clear when cleaned up, no mud. It has all shades of crunch with plenty of tight, grindy gain that doesn't need a boost for most things.
I LOVE it. It is my favorite Marshall. I'll never sell this one. And if I do, Scott already got dibs, lololol. It's that good!

I think we should wait to say who has what right for a while. :)
If I say you have 2 right or all wrong we'd be able to deduce the order. Where's the fun in that.
Yeah once one is known you just to flip the other two and done. I will say I'm surprised how well the stock speakers hang with the other two.

And that Marshall does sound killer. The rolled back tones were especially good. It's so addicting to have that expressiveness right there at your volume control.

Yeah once one is known you just to flip the other two and done. I will say I'm surprised how well the stock speakers hang with the other two.

And that Marshall does sound killer. The rolled back tones were especially good. It's so addicting to have that expressiveness right there at your volume control.
Dude! You're so right. I sit there and hit a D chord, and let it ring out, just griiiinds.
All the shades of grit, from clean to that grind, are gold. I hope it never changes. I was thinking about adding a Metro loop, which I could do without permanently altering the amp, but I don't want to do anything that will.change the way this things sounds and feels.
Except better speakers. Lol.

Back