Is the 100 watt Marshall rig nearing extinction ?

Samhain

Banned
content_marshall-jmp-2203-story-1.jpeg

Ive seen the writing on the wall since 2005.
What say ye ?

Between 1) Nostalgia, and 2) the fact that even the very best modelers can only get really, really close, I’m offering a qualified ‘no.’ Even at a small club gig, nothing looks cooler in the backline than a 4x12 with a full size head and a Variac perched on top.

Last edited:
Shouldn't they at least be put on some escalating scale of endangered species before going extinct? I'd like to think with the right kind of conservation effort our community can keep them going at least until tube manufacturing totally dies...

Shouldn't they at least be put on some escalating scale of endangered species before going extinct? I'd like to think with the right kind of conservation effort our community can keep them going at least until tube manufacturing totally dies...
Been endangered for some time. I just saw an old bandmate put all his gear up for sale. He's been active 40 years but i guess covid has done him in with the band scene.
I know im pretty much done with the band thing and for sure done playing the bars.
Im not ready to sell everything yet tho.

I used to rock a 100 watter with a 4x12 when I played live. You know, when there was live music still. All jokes aside, the 100 watter is iconic and not going anywhere and I generally prefer 100 watt power sections when I track. Probably all bullshit in my head but thats why they will keep selling anyway.

Pissing off sound “engineers” since 1963.

I’ve got a Marshall full stack and I’ve never been happier with my tone. I wouldn’t mind going AXE FX III for live use but after power amps, rack, and other supporting hardware, the Marshall stack is cheaper dry tone for dry tone.

I love my Marshall :rock:

Last edited:
I used to rock a 100 watter with a 4x12 when I played live. You know, when there was live music still. All jokes aside, the 100 watter is iconic and not going anywhere and I generally prefer 100 watt power sections when I track. Probably all bullshit in my head but thats why they will keep selling anyway.

There is definitely a difference in low end response, at least to my ears.

But I play music where that low end response is key, so YMMV

There is definitely a difference in low end response, at least to my ears.

But I play music where that low end response is key, so YMMV
100%. I definitely think the low end response is different. I only have one 50 watter now that I think about it. I think the 100 watt amp is too iconic to get rid of, even if the demand is less than before. Demand for 2203x is high--even on the used market.

100%. I definitely think the low end response is different. I only have one 50 watter now that I think about it. I think the 100 watt amp is too iconic to get rid of, even if the demand is less than before. Demand for 2203x is high--even on the used market.
Absolutely. I'd keep it - value on those is just gonna keep going up.

Back