Is the Axe FX III that much better than an XL+ II?

kmanick

I've been thinking about the future a little bit when I 'm done gigging and know I will go back to a Fractal modeler at some point.
I had a II for about 9 years and for just playing in the house it was awesome. didn't work for me gig wise so I went with my Splawn
but when I am done gigging I will be done.
So is the modeling that much better in the III? I'm seeing deals for II XL+'s with MFC foot pedals for $1,200-1400, so is it worth the the extra $$$ to go III
if I'm not going to gig it?

First, yes, the modeling is better.
Second, the AXE II is a great unit as well and if you don't need the latest and greatest or see the need for more processing power, then you could surely be happy with that.
Third, I've been using the AXE III and have Splawn heads as well. The AXE III does do the Marshall's quite well. There have been some updates and also the new DYNA CAB option in the AXE III is great.
Fourth, what's your FRFR speaker set-up? You'll need something regardless.

Finally, if you want FRACTAL, just want something to play at home, and don't need FULL processing power, why not consider an FM9??
All in one pedal version with AXE III firmware and a bit less processing power. Closer to the Axe II and MFC price range.

Best of luck

I've got a pair of Rokit 8's, I've been reading over on SS.org that the floor unit version don't sound as good as the rack versions. As I mentioned I had a II for a long time so I'm very familiar with it, just seems Like I'd have to drop and extra grand to get the III with the foot controller,
I had a CLR Neo back in the day as well, no issues getting another one of those (if those are still considered the "creme de la creme " of the FRFR speakers

I understand this is RigTalk, so it's not just about Fractal, I just use the Axe III and the FM9, so here's a little more.

Not sure who said the FM9 is a different sound...that's simply false. As I understand it, it's literally the same architecture, but whatever.
I LOVE my FM9 and use it when we fly to gigs. I get the same tones etc. Only issue is if the preset is HUGE on the AXE III and I'm recreating that preset on the FM9, I may have to adjust some things (it does have less CPU). However the core amp/cab is always the same.

Regardless, if you have experience with FRFR and are happy with what you use (Rockit), then you are good. As I said originally, the AXE III is the top of the heap and has more options than were/are available on other units, AXE II XL included. That doesn't mean you NEED that, but it's very nice. I've literally had every Fractal since the Ultra days. They do keep improving.
I also have a bunch of AMPS, but that's a different discussion :doh:

Personally, I do also like the proprietary foot controller. Plug in one XLR cable, immediate connection and sync, done. Do all ther editing on your computer and the foot controller will get the sync when it gets plugged in, no programming (very nice). Obviously you can have multiple expression pedals as well, yet you don't have multiple cables running from the AXE to your controller. XLR's are easier to find than midi cables usually (although again, you may not care as much if you are at home only).

In the end, it's your money and if you are looking for a FRACTAL that you can be happy with for LONGER term, then AXE III seems like a good option from where I sit, AND, the FM9 would be good as well. The updates are still coming out regularly for both, not so for the "legacy" units, so there's also that to consider as well.

Rock On

I’ve been able to do so much with the Axe FX II Mark II, I can’t imagine the sound being even better yet. Want to get a III one of these days soon! The amp blending and tone matching alone is incredible!!

It genuinely is a generational shift. I was never happy with the Axe II. But very happy with the Axe III - the amps are better, and so are many of the effects.

It genuinely is a generational shift. I was never happy with the Axe II. But very happy with the Axe III - the amps are better, and so are many of the effects.
Very cool…I’ve watched a lot of videos on YouTube with axe III and am very impressed with not only the tones people are getting, but how deep you can go to dial it in.

A less expensive alternative is to get a few guitar plugins and see if that works for you?

Earlier this year when I heard PolyChrome DSP McRockling Suite plugin was released, and at an introductory price, I got it and was very impressed with the sounds and the workflow. I'm not a tweaker who likes to go deep diving into low level parameters so it's great for me.

I decided to build a computer rig because of PolyChrome DSP. I also have several Neural DSP plugins, Helix Native, and Softube Marshall amp room...but mainly use PolyChrome DSP, Neural DSP Mesa IIC+/++ Suite, and Archetype Petrucci.

I already had audio interface, home computer, studio monitors, Volume, Wah and Expression pedals, and a KMI SoftStep2 MIDI controller so no added costs here. Also have powered PA with subs and mixer that I use with the dedicated guitar computer rig.

For the plugin software, most on sale, I'm in for a few to several hundred dollars. Building a dedicated computer rig (computer, audio interface, wireless mini-keyboard and touchscreen + VST host software (BlueCat Audio PatchWork to use different plugin patches, and have external controls and simplify MIDI program changes) was another several hundred dollars; not needed if you don't plan to use it outside of your house.

Portable dedicated guitar computer plugin rig (I have another computer (touchscreen laptop) dedicated to keyboard, synth and organ plugins:)

computer-audio-interface.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

touchscreen2.JPG

I’ve been able to do so much with the Axe FX II Mark II, I can’t imagine the sound being even better yet. Want to get a III one of these days soon! The amp blending and tone matching alone is incredible!!

I never used a II, but I know where I started on the III with dialing stuff in and I was still adding either an EQ or multi band comp to get the end results back then (5 years ago or so), the point it's at now is pretty ridiculous and this is a great example of it-

I went to go make my own Jose modded 6CA7 one day, so I load a basic preset up with my usual signal chain-
Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 5.21.29 PM.png

Note the amp settings are all at noon, everything is bone stock settings.

Then I picked the cab, one of the new DynaCabs. This is also where the mic loaded up when I loaded the cab-
Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 5.22.31 PM.png

I started playing so I could start tweaking everything and ended up just playing for probably 30 minutes before I realized I hadn't touched a single knob yet.

While it's not a "OMFG THAT'S SUCH AN AMAZING TONE!", that's a really fucking good starting place for what I was going to do with it.

I've also got the III and FM9, there's no sonic difference between the two. I saw that discussion and without understanding how Fractal incorporates all the amps/effects across the cores, it's a pointless discussion. The architecture isn't the same between the III/FM9/FM3 so it can keep the tones the same through each device, it just limits you on CPU as you drop down in feature size. You might have to sacrifice super high quality delays for slightly less than super high quality delays, but your amp tones will be exactly the same. Or you can't use two pitch blocks on anything but the III.

And FWIW, this is where I ended up with the Jose 6CA7 after maybe 20-30 minutes of dicking around with the deeper parameters. The Saturation switch is an auto-Jose mod, then you can fine tune the Sag, Variac, Negative Feedback, etc. This little pet project definitely showed both sides of a Fractal in the "You really don't have to dig deep anymore" and "It's fucking fun when you WANT to dig deep"

A less expensive alternative is to get a few guitar plugins and see if that works for you?

Earlier this year when I heard PolyChrome DSP McRockling Suite plugin was released, and at an introductory price, I got it and was very impressed with the sounds and the workflow. I'm not a tweaker who likes to go deep diving into low level parameters so it's great for me.

I decided to build a computer rig because of PolyChrome DSP. I also have several Neural DSP plugins, Helix Native, and Softube Marshall amp room...but mainly use PolyChrome DSP, Neural DSP Mesa IIC+/++ Suite, and Archetype Petrucci.

I already had audio interface, home computer, studio monitors, Volume, Wah and Expression pedals, and a KMI SoftStep2 MIDI controller so no added costs here. Also have powered PA with subs and mixer that I use with the dedicated guitar computer rig.

For the plugin software, most on sale, I'm in for a few to several hundred dollars. Building a dedicated computer rig (computer, audio interface, wireless mini-keyboard and touchscreen + VST host software (BlueCat Audio PatchWork to use different plugin patches, and have external controls and simplify MIDI program changes) was another several hundred dollars; not needed if you don't plan to use it outside of your house.

Portable dedicated guitar computer plugin rig (I have another computer (touchscreen laptop) dedicated to keyboard, synth and organ plugins:)

View attachment 275406

View attachment 275409

View attachment 275412
Niceness man…very intricate work! I like it!

Reactions: rsm
I never used a II, but I know where I started on the III with dialing stuff in and I was still adding either an EQ or multi band comp to get the end results back then (5 years ago or so), the point it's at now is pretty ridiculous and this is a great example of it-

I went to go make my own Jose modded 6CA7 one day, so I load a basic preset up with my usual signal chain-
View attachment 275415

Note the amp settings are all at noon, everything is bone stock settings.

Then I picked the cab, one of the new DynaCabs. This is also where the mic loaded up when I loaded the cab-
View attachment 275418

I started playing so I could start tweaking everything and ended up just playing for probably 30 minutes before I realized I hadn't touched a single knob yet.

While it's not a "OMFG THAT'S SUCH AN AMAZING TONE!", that's a really fucking good starting place for what I was going to do with it.

I've also got the III and FM9, there's no sonic difference between the two. I saw that discussion and without understanding how Fractal incorporates all the amps/effects across the cores, it's a pointless discussion. The architecture isn't the same between the III/FM9/FM3 so it can keep the tones the same through each device, it just limits you on CPU as you drop down in feature size. You might have to sacrifice super high quality delays for slightly less than super high quality delays, but your amp tones will be exactly the same. Or you can't use two pitch blocks on anything but the III.

And FWIW, this is where I ended up with the Jose 6CA7 after maybe 20-30 minutes of dicking around with the deeper parameters. The Saturation switch is an auto-Jose mod, then you can fine tune the Sag, Variac, Negative Feedback, etc. This little pet project definitely showed both sides of a Fractal in the "You really don't have to dig deep anymore" and "It's fucking fun when you WANT to dig deep"

I mean, it’s great from the start, but once you get it dialed in, truly legit! I found some good tones, mainly crunchy stuff I was working on with Mark 2C++ blended with Diezel VH4 channel 3. I think I’ve been working on it for like 3 or 4 years. Lol. I’m sure it would be even more juicy with the Axe III 😎

View attachment 275406

View attachment 275409

View attachment 275412
I do like the idea of being able to just purchase what you will use…really good idea actually.

Reactions: rsm
I mean, it’s great from the start, but once you get it dialed in, truly legit! I found some good tones, mainly crunchy stuff I was working on with Mark 2C++ blended with Diezel VH4 channel 3. I think I’ve been working on it for like 3 or 4 years. Lol. I’m sure it would be even more juicy with the Axe III 😎

The IC++ is my favorite model and has been on every metal recording I’ve done in the last 3 years or so. I occasionally start digging on a different high gain amp, but I always go back to the IIC++.

This was all IIC++ for both guitar tracks-

And this one is a IIC++ and a Dual Rec. They’re each hard panned and going into different cabs, when I do the double track, I swap the panning so each amp ends up on each side, but with different takes.

And both presets are just the heads in cabs! (Outside of the whammy/delay stuff I have programmed in)

I’ve tried a few times to get something going with the Diezels, I just cannot get enough cut/no flub to work with how I play. I really need to hear/play through one in person. I feel like that’s an amp that’s gotta be understood better before I can dial in a good sounding model of t.

The IC++ is my favorite model and has been on every metal recording I’ve done in the last 3 years or so. I occasionally start digging on a different high gain amp, but I always go back to the IIC++.

This was all IIC++ for both guitar tracks-

And this one is a IIC++ and a Dual Rec. They’re each hard panned and going into different cabs, when I do the double track, I swap the panning so each amp ends up on each side, but with different takes.

And both presets are just the heads in cabs! (Outside of the whammy/delay stuff I have programmed in)

I’ve tried a few times to get something going with the Diezels, I just cannot get enough cut/no flub to work with how I play. I really need to hear/play through one in person. I feel like that’s an amp that’s gotta be understood better before I can dial in a good sounding model of t.

Dude, you tone and playing are both awesome! The songs are both well done also…love the style!

I like that blend with the Dual rec in there…gives it a far bottom end. To me blending is the only way to go.

I’ll try and get a file uploaded here so I can show you what I’ve been working on regarding tone. Doesn’t want to upload under attach file, so I’ll have to give sound cloud a try. Just haven’t used it before.

Dude, you tone and playing are both awesome! The songs are both well done also…love the style!

I like that blend with the Dual rec in there…gives it a far bottom end. To me blending is the only way to go.

I’ll try and get a file uploaded here so I can show you what I’ve been working on regarding tone. Doesn’t want to upload under attach file, so I’ll have to give sound cloud a try. Just haven’t used it before.

Thanks, man!

This is the finished product of the first vid, I do everything myself in my studio. I ended up using the IIC++/Recto preset for both guitar tracks and I used that Jose 6CA7 for the solo.

Soundcloud is convenient but it does compress the shit out of files and neuters the top end considerably. Dropbox can do a high quality upload, but ya gotta pay for an account.

Thanks, man!

This is the finished product of the first vid, I do everything myself in my studio. I ended up using the IIC++/Recto preset for both guitar tracks and I used that Jose 6CA7 for the solo.

Soundcloud is convenient but it does compress the shit out of files and neuters the top end considerably. Dropbox can do a high quality upload, but ya gotta pay for an account.

Badass man! Seriously awesome…tone is sick!

Do you have any material on Spotify? That’s mainly what I use to listen to music.

I will try and upload this file through SoundCloud here…hopefully it works. lol. Don’t mind the sloppy playing, it’s me running a tone test so I’m just playing a bunch of random shit. Metallic riffs and some of my own, trying to hear all the nuances I’m looking for. This is on my axe II with 2C++ blended with VH4.

https://on.soundcloud.com/Nb12RVrFNJbpQmCXA

Badass man! Seriously awesome…tone is sick!

Do you have any material on Spotify? That’s mainly what I use to listen to music.

I will try and upload this file through SoundCloud here…hopefully it works. lol. Don’t mind the sloppy playing, it’s me running a tone test so I’m just playing a bunch of random shit. Metallic riffs and some of my own, trying to hear all the nuances I’m looking for. This is on my axe II with 2C++ blended with VH4.

https://on.soundcloud.com/Nb12RVrFNJbpQmCXA

Looks like it just added a link. I’ll have to figure out how to load it the way you did.

Nice!!! I love the raw aspect of it, it’s the aspect that makes ya feel like ya gotta tame it with your hands when playing….just without the squealing feedback!

I don’t have anything on Spotify yet, but I’ll be changing that this year.

Back