Is this an Original Floyd Rose?

chumbucket

I picked up this black nickel Floyd that was never installed, but used, under the pretense that it was an original German Floyd Rose. It doesn't have the Made In Germany stamp on it but it does have a faint circled "S" logo stamped in it that looks like the Schaller S. The "S" is really hard to photgraph. There are some other differences too but I'm just not sure. Check out these pics and let me know what you think. The black nickel one is on the right in the pics.

Attachments

• Floyd Top.jpg
    Floyd Top.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 735
  • Floyd Bottom Back.jpg
    Floyd Bottom Back.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 629
  • Floyd Bottom.jpg
    Floyd Bottom.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 547
  • Floyd Back.jpg
    Floyd Back.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 992
  • Floyd S.jpg
    Floyd S.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
I picked up this black nickel Floyd that was never installed, but used, under the pretense that it was an original German Floyd Rose. It doesn't have the Made In Germany stamp on it but it does have a faint circled "S" logo stamped in it that looks like the Schaller S. The "S" is really hard to photgraph. There are some other differences too but I'm just not sure. Check out these pics and let me know what you think. The black nickel one is on the right in the pics.
I believe that's a Korean FR 1000. If you look at the back of the saddles, it's got a beveled edge instead of square like your other one. That's the tell...I have OFR's I put on my USA Charvels so I have the FR 1000 sitting here with the same beveled edge. But they are fine bridges, I haven't noticed any change in tone or feel since swapping them out. Just OCD with OFRs I guess.

I believe that's a Korean FR 1000. If you look at the back of the saddles, it's got a beveled edge instead of square like your other one. That's the tell...I have OFR's I put on my USA Charvels so I have the FR 1000 sitting here with the same beveled edge. But they are fine bridges, I haven't noticed any change in tone or feel since swapping them out. Just OCD with OFRs I guess.

Thanks.
So the 1000 series are just Specials but they don't get the branding on the top of the bridge because they're OEM?

Last edited:
Thanks.
So the 1000 series are just Specials but they don't get the branding on the top of the brdige because they're OEM?
I believe the 1000 are a nice step up from the Specials; those are not very good. The FR 1000 is solid steel like the OFR but made in Korea instead of Germany. If you look at a Schaller, they are nice but they have a separate knife edge which can chip and cause problems. I had one on a USA Hamer from 91, bought new and 20 yrs later chipped. The OFR and FR 1000 are solid molded metal. Most prefer the quality of the German steel vs Korean but I have no idea if that is justified or not.

For what it’s worth, the 1000 should have no stamp ms. The special has a circled S.

Attachments

• C5812E15-4BDA-412D-AA03-320908F4A0AD.jpeg
    C5812E15-4BDA-412D-AA03-320908F4A0AD.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 157
Old thread but yeah the one on the right is korean 1000 series. Very vood quality. I have not noticed any tonal difference vs german ones.
The specials are all stamped special on top and the quality is poorer. Fine tuners stiff and not smooth, saddles soft and all threads strip easily etc etc

Back