ISP Decimator G-String question

Bishop5150

I just orderd a ISP Decimator G-String. I've been using the noise gate on my G-System but I hear this is a great piece of gear. I was wondering where I should place it in my chain. The Decimator In and Out section will be run through my amps loop. But I was wondering about the Guitar In section. The part that handles the tracking. Currently I run my XDS-X2 wirleless in to my Crybaby 95Q Wah then into the input of my G-System. Where should I place the Decimator? Between the wireless and wah? Or the wah and the G-System? Or try it both ways? I heard that the Decimator is buffered as well and wondered if that would make a difference in the placement of it.

Thanks ahead of time and have a great Memorial Day weekend everybody.

Death by Uberschall":21sas45u said:
Plug your guitar/wireless receiver into the G-String first. :thumbsup:

Why not the loop? I was under the impression the G string had the capability, like the NS-2 to be run infront of and in the loop of the amp?

I would run it like this...

Guitar--> X2--> ISP--> Crybaby Wah--> G-system-->Amp.

And place it at the end of the chain in the FX Loop.

Keebz":269pweby said:

That seems strange to me as I run my gate in the loop before the EQ and Delay. If you have a delay, a gate can cut off the delays.

Tawlks":35bum09z said:
Death by Uberschall":35bum09z said:

Why not the loop? I was under the impression the G string had the capability, like the NS-2 to be run infront of and in the loop of the amp?
There are ins/outs for the guitar and the loop on the G-String. Both need to be used for the unit to work correctly. But the guitar should plug into the G-string before anything else. You want the guitar signal to be the trigger for the noise reduction, not the hiss from a wah or another pedal. The loop side of the G-String is what closes off the signal, but the guitar is what controls it. Your cleanest guitar signal is straight from the guitar.

Death by Uberschall":1ue2w1hq said:
Tawlks":1ue2w1hq said:
Death by Uberschall":1ue2w1hq said:

There are ins/outs for the guitar and the loop on the G-String. Both need to be used for the unit to work correctly. But the guitar should plug into the G-string before anything else. You want the guitar signal to be the trigger for the noise reduction, not the hiss from a wah or another pedal. The loop side of the G-String is what closes off the signal, but the guitar is what controls it. Your cleanest guitar signal is straight from the guitar.

That made alot of sense, thanks for the explanation.

When using a high gain amp would you reccomend running a noise gate like th Ns-2 in front or in the loop?

Keebz":2qmpqcjv said:

Put it first in the loop as any delay, reverb, etc will get cut off instead of decaying naturally.

Tawlks":1k2x05ef said:
Death by Uberschall":1k2x05ef said:
Tawlks":1k2x05ef said:
Death by Uberschall":1k2x05ef said:

When using a high gain amp would you reccomend running a noise gate like th Ns-2 in front or in the loop?
It depends on if the hiss is from the guitar or the preamp section. If the amp only hisses when the guitar is plugged in, then between the guitar and amp.

Death by Uberschall":1nfkcllf said:
Tawlks":1nfkcllf said:
Tawlks":1nfkcllf said:

It depends on if the hiss is from the guitar or the preamp section. If the amp only hisses when the guitar is plugged in, then between the guitar and amp.

My guitar is pretty much silent, well shielded, EMGs. I only get a bit of hiss from my SD-1 but I don't have that on all that much. it's a 5150 so the preamp is the culprit of most of the hiss.

Thanks man.

Thanks guys. I'll put the Guitar In (tracking section) right after my wirless so it gets the cleanest signal. I was going to wire the Decimator In and Out section in between my 5150 III amp Fx send and the G-System. That way it wouldn't effect my delay repeats on the amps FX return side. This is where the G's noise gate is located anyway and is what I've been using. What are you guys thoughts on the Decimator G-String? Anybody have a G-system and a ISP and compared the two noise gates? I feel certain that the ISP is a much better unit in that area. The G's noise gate works good. I have no noise but I think it has a negative effect somewhat on my tone and I've heard the ISP is exremely transparent. I'm hoping so anyway since that's the thought process I used to justify spending more cash in the never ending quest for descent tone. :doh:

heres a vid of guy who uses it with his G system and a mark IV. Skip to the end and he explains how his is connected.

Death by Uberschall":38pmkv6k said:
Keebz":38pmkv6k said:

Put it first in the loop as any delay, reverb, etc will get cut off instead of decaying naturally.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: Yes thats correct. I wasn't thinking.

victim5150":2hr3s6i5 said:
Thanks guys. I'll put the Guitar In (tracking section) right after my wirless so it gets the cleanest signal. I was going to wire the Decimator In and Out section in between my 5150 III amp Fx send and the G-System. That way it wouldn't effect my delay repeats on the amps FX return side. This is where the G's noise gate is located anyway and is what I've been using. What are you guys thoughts on the Decimator G-String? Anybody have a G-system and a ISP and compared the two noise gates? I feel certain that the ISP is a much better unit in that area. The G's noise gate works good. I have no noise but I think it has a negative effect somewhat on my tone and I've heard the ISP is exremely transparent. I'm hoping so anyway since that's the thought process I used to justify spending more cash in the never ending quest for descent tone. :doh:
ISP makes the G-String. I've had the Decimator and now I have the G-String, both work great. I never noticed any change in tone with mine. If you set beyond what it takes to quiet down your rig it might take away some hi end. Just set to where you hear no noise, then back it off to the point where you just start to hear something and your done. A high gain amp doesn't have to be completely silent, just controlled.

Death by Uberschall":3b1sd1dr said:
victim5150":3b1sd1dr said:

ISP makes the G-String.

But not the G System

Back