• Thread starter Deleted member 43831
  • Start date
Yeah, Petrucci used to have nimble, quick, and slender little fingers, now he has big ole meatpaws that interfere with the movement of his fingers. His range of motion is severely restricted and his heavily muscled fingers get in the way of one another.

He’s been mostly the same size for a while though which isn’t too difficult to maintain. Growing is where playing suffers as your always lethargic, with sausage fingers, and get a pump from walking. Probably more to do with age or complacency than lifting.

EFAD6ACB-50B9-469A-AD6B-189C4D7DA57C.jpeg

I'm not sure if or how much of a detriment it is but I don't think it helps and has risk of being a detriment. Just from injury.

Might be bad analogies but Tom Brady and Michael Jordan weren't big/bulky guys but we're dominant ninjas in their sports. Just by practicing and working super hard at what they do. I always wondered why; as focused/diligent/motivated that they were, why didn't they bulk up? Probably because they either thought it would be a detriment OR they saw no benefit yet with a risk.

I have never been ‘big’ but I have worked out regularly for over 30 years. I still alternate between 5 and 6 workouts a week on different 6-week circuits. Nowadays, everything is body weight - pushups, pull-ups, lunges, crunches and lots of burpees. Pull-up day definitely leaves my hands and forearms pretty worthless for a good hour or 2 after the workout. Which is fine, because I typically do not have time to sit and play til early evening or after dinner. But I can definitely see that lots of grip based exercises like pull-ups, chin-ups, heavy barbell and dumbbell rows could F with dexterity.

I will also say I go through phases totally unrelated to exercise where I feel like my playing is just hitting a wall - low inspiration / motivation and it definitely shows in my playing. Other times (especially if I am trying to tackle a new tune or digging into a fresh practice routine) everything feels really exciting and I’m super motivated and play better.

Maybe JP just sort of ‘peaked’ on guitar a while back and lost some of the early fire?? Still plenty talented and with decades of practice to pull off his repertoire - but maybe not like when it all felt fresh and brand new and was the single most important thing going on in his life.

Lynch (not a fan at all) said heavy lifting was bad for his tendons and negatively affected his dexterity during the height of his bodybuilding phase. Young skinny Zakk Wylde (also not a fan) seemed to be a better player before he really bulked up.

Thank you for making us aware of who you are a fan of and who you aren’t. That was extremely relevant to this conversation.

I don't like JPs playing at all

But seriously what a silly idea lol

"BeInG HeAlThY bAD"

Only on guitar forums
I get what you're saying....Of course you don't have to be a bodybuilder to be healthy....staying in shape/good health/sleep/diet is VERY good for your playing and concentration...but bodybuilding....I have been afraid to try for this very reason this thread is talking about, I think it's legit....or the fear of it(effecting my playing) is enough to put me off on it. As to the players mentioned in this thread, nothing but good things to say from me.

Thank you for making us aware of who you are a fan of and who you aren’t. That was extremely relevant to this conversation.
Why didn’t you single out the post before mine, where Dan made the same proclamation? And who exactly did I say I was a fan of ?

I have never been ‘big’ but I have worked out regularly for over 30 years. I still alternate between 5 and 6 workouts a week on different 6-week circuits. Nowadays, everything is body weight - pushups, pull-ups, lunges, crunches and lots of burpees. Pull-up day definitely leaves my hands and forearms pretty worthless for a good hour or 2 after the workout. Which is fine, because I typically do not have time to sit and play til early evening or after dinner. But I can definitely see that lots of grip based exercises like pull-ups, chin-ups, heavy barbell and dumbbell rows could F with dexterity.

I will also say I go through phases totally unrelated to exercise where I feel like my playing is just hitting a wall - low inspiration / motivation and it definitely shows in my playing. Other times (especially if I am trying to tackle a new tune or digging into a fresh practice routine) everything feels really exciting and I’m super motivated and play better.

Maybe JP just sort of ‘peaked’ on guitar a while back and lost some of the early fire?? Still plenty talented and with decades of practice to pull off his repertoire - but maybe not like when it all felt fresh and brand new and was the single most important thing going on in his life.
Same here. I was never hard core but the heavier I lifted, the worse my playing was, given the same amount of playing time. I’m sure some people are more susceptible than others.

Reactions: PDC
Now, Lynch is a fit guy but he's not a bodybuilder like JP or Wylde. I also used to go to gym regularly and it took days after heavy lifts before I was back to normal ...
Lynch was big into body building for a while and got pretty huge.

Revolution Magazine: Are you still bodybuilding?

Lynch: No, that's one of the silliest things I've ever done. I felt so anti-musical. Even the guys from VH1 were making fun of me. It also makes it difficult to play. But no, I just work out now to stay in shape.

Back