JJ tubes suck ass, I was hoping you found a new source like the NOS...nothing like the fullness they produced back in the day. Those were the key to the VHT 2150. Anyone having the right tubes in it swear by them. As always Michael excellent work/clip!

Last edited:
If I had another Marshall and shipping wasn’t a pain, I’d send one to you to VH/1 it up.

Do you work on the SV20H mini heads?
No, I have not seen inside one of these SV20H mini heads yet.
I'll probably try branching out soon with my mods.
I've already designed my R/T mod and tube buffered effects loop to work in the old Hiwatt amp circuits but now it's time to move on to the next big thing. :)

JJ tubes suck ass, I was hoping you found a new source like the NOS...nothing like the fullness they produced back in the day. Those were the key to the VHT 2150. Anyone having the right tubes in it swear by them. As always Michael excellent work/clip!
Yeah, I'm sorry but I don't have a any new sources on NOS KT88 power tubes.
If you can find a full set of GE's they go for a ton of money, outta my league.
I apprentice you taking the time to watch and comment, thanks.

Where can u souce good KT88s these days
If you can find Sovtek KT88 they are quite reliable and built pretty well, the EHKT88's are pretty good too. I've read the Gold Lions are good but I have no experience with them. I never cared too much for the JJKT88 they always seemed to have a compressed bottom end to them but they sound alright in Michaels vid here.:2thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey Mike, I' love what the KT88's are bringing to the table, I can hear the broader frequency spectrum with them for sure. Bottom end sounds more defined with more clarity and and highs are nice and crisp without being too bright/brash/harsh.(y)

I love my 6550's and Sylvania 6CA7's so I'm kinda biased. I've been running SED Winged C 6550's for years in my 1979 2203 Marshall and I've never had one go bad or bias drift, they have been very good to me reliability and tonewise, a have few quads and some GE6550's so I'm pretty set.

Hey Mike, I' love what the KT88's are bringing to the table, I can hear the broader frequency spectrum with them for sure. Bottom end sounds more defined with more clarity and and highs are nice and crisp without being too bright/brash/harsh.(y)

I love my 6550's and Sylvania 6CA7's so I'm kinda biased. I've been running SED Winged C 6550's for years in my 1979 2203 Marshall and I've never had one go bad or bias drift, they have been very good to me reliability and tonewise, a have few quads and some GE6550's so I'm pretty set.
I usually work the amps around the preamp and power tubes that are in it.
I voice and mod the circuits to make what ever tubes that are in the amp sound good.
Most people do the opposite, they use the tubes to change the sound (tone) so they don't have to touch the circuits. :)

KT power tubes seem to be very "in" at the moment.

Without doubt my favorite amps out there today. Articulation, clarity, dynamics… for my ears, it just doesn’t get any better than this.

Sounds like it works.
Man..I love to jam "Mean Street" with you.
You've got that EVH grip' with just the right
juicy give' ...the gift that keeps on givin' thx
to AVH on the other end of those brotherly syncopations.
Oh yeah, now you got me pumped.

Back