KT88's in Nitro

War_in_D

Hey all.. New member to Rig Talk. Joined the Splawn Forum here a little while back, and it looks like everyone that was posting over there has migrated here.

Scott currently has my Nitro at his shop, getting the "fully loaded" mods added to it and I had a thought about having it changed over to KT88's while it's there. I found a thread here where the majority of folks seem to think that KT88's improve the Nitro considerably but then I've also seen a few postings online where after the "honeymoon" was over with the 88's, they went back to EL34's.. So, what do you all think?

Hey all.. New member to Rig Talk. Joined the Splawn Forum here a little while back, and it looks like everyone that was posting over there has migrated here.

Scott currently has my Nitro at his shop, getting the "fully loaded" mods added to it and I had a thought about having it changed over to KT88's while it's there. I found a thread here where the majority of folks seem to think that KT88's improve the Nitro considerably but then I've also seen a few postings online where after the "honeymoon" was over with the 88's, they went back to EL34's.. So, what do you all think?
Welcome to the forum!

I like the EL34's, sound nice and organic. Haven't tried KT88's tho.

Welcome to Rig-Talk

I believe it is a 1 resistor change so you can always get someone to put it back for you if don't like it. From what I have read - I'd probably keep it at EL34s but many dudes I know love their KT88s.

Welcome to Rig-Talk

I believe it is a 1 resistor change so you can always get someone to put it back for you if don't like it. From what I have read - I'd probably keep it at EL34s but many dudes I know love their KT88s.

Thanks for the info! I may try to call Scott and see what he thinks about it. I like the way the amp sounded before I sent it over for the mods, but some of the clips I've heard of Nitro's with the KT88's in them sound pretty good.

See if you can track down skullfxr. He has like 4 Splawns and many amps with KT88s. Also, I just realized your user handle is Warren as in Warren DeMartini. Nice :yes:

Last edited:
There's a thread showing the mod where you can add a resistor to make it work with KT88s. I wonder if Scott could put the resistor on a small board with a switch to switch the resistor in and out...that way you could easily switch back an forth between el34s and KT88s.

There's a thread showing the mod where you can add a resistor to make it work with KT88s. I wonder if Scott could put the resistor on a small board with a switch to switch the resistor in and out...that way you could easily switch back an forth between el34s and KT88s.
THAT.. is a great idea. I wonder if that could be done? I need to try and call Scott tomorrow. Thanks!

Not only can it be done but it has been documented. You don't need to call Scott for this unless you really feel it necessary.

Here are a few threads that might help.

https://splawnfans.proboards.com/board/11/splawn-nitro?q=piggy+back+resistor

That's the thread I was referring to. Did someone put the resistor on a board and wire the board to the R30 resistor. The 47k resistor is mounted to the board with a switch that can take it in and out. I think I remember someone doing something like that...but not sure if it was with a Splawn or some other amp. I didn't see it in the threads you linked.

THAT.. is a great idea. I wonder if that could be done? I need to try and call Scott tomorrow. Thanks!
Let us know what he says. I had been thinking about ordering another QR and that was one thing I'd like done. My favorite QR I ever owned had KT88s...so I'd probably order it that way, but I'd want the switch to be able to put in el34s from time to time.

Let us know what he says. I had been thinking about ordering another QR and that was one thing I'd like done. My favorite QR I ever owned had KT88s...so I'd probably order it that way, but I'd want the switch to be able to put in el34s from time to time.

Hey all.. Just got off the phone with Scott. He said it "could" be done, but didn't recommend it. Especially since my Nitro is getting the B+ switch installed along with the other "fully loaded" options. He said if something were to happen with that EL34/KT88 switch, it could lead to big issues, etc.. and from a reliability standpoint, he recommended to have it one way or the other. So we spoke for a while about how it would change the sound, etc.. and since I've already got a EL34 Quickrod, he thought I'd probably like the KT88 Nitro just from a "variety" standpoint and said that running a QR with 34's and Nitro with 88's in tandem a great combo if you can do that sort of thing.. I told him my wife would probably run me out of the house if I even tried it. LOL So, now I have decision to make.. To KT88, or not to KT88.. that is the question.

Last edited:
Hey all.. Just got off the phone with Scott. He said it "could" be done, but didn't recommend it. Especially since my Nitro is getting the B+ switch installed along with the other "fully loaded" options. He said if something were to happen with that EL34/KT88 switch, it could lead to big issues, etc.. and from a reliability standpoint, he recommended to have it one way or the other. So we spoke for a while about how it would change the sound, etc.. and since I've already got a EL34 Quickrod, he thought I'd probably like the KT88 Nitro just from a "variety" standpoint and said that running a QR with 34's and Nitro with 88's in tandem a great combo if you can do that sort of thing.. I told him my wife would probably run me out of the house if I even tried it. LOL So, now I have decision to make.. To KT88, or not to KT88.. that is the question.
To me it sounds like the decision to make is running the QR and Nitro in stereo or keeping the wife :giggle::ROFLMAO:

To me it sounds like the decision to make is running the QR and Nitro in stereo or keeping the wife :giggle::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Well, my wife as always told me that as long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care what I buy (when it comes to gear, anyway)! Sooo, I think she may be a keeper.

Yep. I'd say your decision is pretty clear. :yes:
Yeah, I'm thinking KT88's.. Scott seemed to think I would like it, so I trust his opinion on it. I've got to get some tubes bought and shipped over to him so he can see how "hot" they are and put in the correct resistor to get them to bias, he mentioned that with what's going on in China and now the sanctions put on Russia.. His sources are saying that tubes are going to be in scarce supply pretty quick. So, take that for what's it worth if you're planning on buying tubes any time soon. Now may be the time to get them before things dry up.

Back