LET'S TALK ABOUT ESP'S SECRET "EPIPHONE KILLER"...

ESP has had a production facility in China since the early 90s. As in their own, not a subcontractor. What were they making there before the LTD basses? Edwards were MIC (including paint) and finished in Japan since about 02(sans platinum which are MIJ), and supposedly no longer since covid era, but why advertise platinum is MIJ and not do that with Edwards if true? Grassroots are 100% MIC, previously MIK. 99% certain that ALL Greco, Burny, Fernandes were MIK or Taiwan from the late 80s through early 00s. No serial or a Sticker? Not MIJ. 84-88 serial? Fujigen. Before that was Matsumoku.

Anyways, if you're after a cheap LP, Agiles (World Korea) are the way to go these days, imo. They make them with every neck profile you can think of, 50s, 60s, multi radius, classic radius, 24.75" and 25.5"(even baritones) modern heel joints or classic. Solid Maple tops, etc... Top model is around $600.
Interesting. When I started buying Greco/Edwards a few yrs back, I had just received a 90s Edwards Sykes. Cool guitar; a little 'less' an LP clone than the 84 Greco I had prior. When reading up on the Edwards history, I read that the MiC but finished in Japan thing didn't start until 2011-13 or so. I ended up with a much earlier Edwards in the end but was almost ready to grab a much newer version. Not that there's anything wrong with the MiC/finished in Japan Edwards.

Interesting. When I started buying Greco/Edwards a few yrs back, I had just received a 90s Edwards Sykes. Cool guitar; a little 'less' an LP clone than the 84 Greco I had prior. When reading up on the Edwards history, I read that the MiC but finished in Japan thing didn't start until 2011-13 or so. I ended up with a much earlier Edwards in the end but was almost ready to grab a much newer version. Not that there's anything wrong with the MiC/finished in Japan Edwards.

IIRC from speaking with ESP directly, there are instances of nitro finishes being done in Japan, but wasn't clear on whether or not this was just the top coat or the entire painting process. It's interesting about the 11-13 thing as I don't recall getting specific clarification on that timeline, but I have read people claiming that this was actually an era of all MIJ. My information was directly from ESP themselves around 2019, so there may be other details I've forgotten off the top of my head, and can't 100% confirm anything since without contacting them and asking.

IIRC from speaking with ESP directly, there are instances of nitro finishes being done in Japan, but wasn't clear on whether or not this was just the top coat or the entire painting process. It's interesting about the 11-13 thing as I don't recall getting specific clarification on that timeline, but I have read people claiming that this was actually an era of all MIJ. My information was directly from ESP themselves around 2019, so there may be other details I've forgotten off the top of my head, and can't 100% confirm anything since without contacting them and asking.
If ESP has had a factory in China since the 90s, I'd bet money you are correct. There's a few websites that guys go round and round on solving the 'mystery' of some of these MiJ LP clones. The late 90s Edwards I had, the date was in the neck pup cavity. But no serial# on the back of the headstock like 99% of the MiJ LPs.

Back