Load impedance question

Briman24

I have a little 25 watt peavey bravo and the speaker that is in it is 16ohm but on the back of amp there is only jack for 4ohm or 8ohm. Which should i use?

Concur.

And the other way around would be the bad one. aka 8ohm speaker / 16 ohm tap
Yup i got it. I used to know all this impedance stuff but it has been so long since i changed speakers or cabs lol. Getting old and forget things. I was pretty sure but wanted to be absolutely certain so i ask the knowledgeable rig talk boys!!

Yup i got it. I used to know all this impedance stuff but it has been so long since i changed speakers or cabs lol. Getting old and forget things. I was pretty sure but wanted to be absolutely certain so i ask the knowledgeable rig talk boys!!
Assuming the Bravo is a solid state amp? I guess I should have looked. If it was tube amp then we could get into a big debate about how 1 way mismatches are "sometimes" ok blah bla blah :)

I have been using just the speaker with my wet dry wet set up. I recently got a new 2x12 marshall cab and replaced the bravo with it.
So i put the bravo up for sale today locally and it sold in 20 mins!!
I forgot that i changed the jack on end of speaker cable on it for female and went to solder male back on before guy gets here and while doing that i noticed the speaker (eminence private jack) is 16 ohms.
Long story short i was plugging the private jack up to my stereo power amp and now will now use marshall 2x12 .

Last edited:
I was panicking because i soldered on a pancake style jack and it kept grounding out once i put the pancake cover on. So i put some electrical tape in between. Not enough time to re cut the wire and set it better inside the pancake. The guy was on way.

That little bravo is a great amp! Like a little 25 watt jcm800 with a decent clean chanel. The tubes in it are horizontal so when you look at back of cab it looks like a solid state. You can find them for cheap!

I just have too many amps now so instead of it collecting dust, sold to someone who will use it and enjoy it.

Last edited:
What my long story confused you? Lol
Kind of.
No biggie
So did you sell the Peavey with a replacement speaker and now you are concerned something could go wrong? Did you play it like that for a long time? I think with a tube amp with decent transformers a one way mismatch is ok but it will/could put undo stress on the tubes/output transformer. In either direction.

I sold the bravo an hour ago. The speaker was always in there. The previous owner put it in. I used the amp very little over 2 years i owned it. I did use it for just the speaker as part of my wet dry wet setup. By this i mean i plugged my stereo power amp into the speaker only (not using the amplifier part of bravo).

My wet dry wet setup is JCM800 2203 speaker out to david bray box which then splits with one going back to 4x12 marshall cab (dry) and the other line out goes to time based effects and then to my stereo power amp. Then the stereo power amp goes left out to 2x12 and right side out to another 2x12.
All time based effects come out of left and right cabs. Dry cab in middle. Sounds huge and in stereo with ping ponging delays etc. If you have never experienced this......you must try it!! Massive sound!

I used to have same setup with my purple Splawn Quick Rod. Remember that amp?

Attachments

• 20180608_221034.jpg
    20180608_221034.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: PDC
I sold the bravo an hour ago. The speaker was always in there. The previous owner put it in. I used the amp very little over 2 years i owned it. I did use it for just the speaker as part of my wet dry wet setup. By this i mean i plugged my stereo power amp into the speaker only (not using the amplifier part of bravo).

My wet dry wet setup is JCM800 2203 speaker out to david bray box which then splits with one going back to 4x12 marshall cab (dry) and the other line out goes to time based effects and then to my stereo power amp. Then the stereo power amp goes left out to 2x12 and right side out to another 2x12.
All time based effects come out of left and right cabs. Dry cab in middle. Sounds huge and in stereo with ping ponging delays etc. If you have never experienced this......you must try it!! Massive sound!

Yeah. Now I understand better.
Yeah. I remember that purple people eater :D Seem like forever ago.

So back to the Bravo - I would have to say the safe thing to do is to replace the 16 ohm Private Jack with an 8 ohms speaker. I would.

Now if was for some occasional rocking and not stressing the amp too much I wouldn't be worried about it. If it was a Splawn amp, I wouldn't be worried about it. If I wasn't selling the amp, I wouldn't be worried about it.

If the buyer knows what's up and knows the potential risks then its cool. Hell, the amp could out live all of us and be cranked every day and nothing would happen but I personally wouldn't take that risk. If it were a solid state amp, you'd be completely fine in one direction like we discussed above and completely fucked in other direction. Tranny tap higher than speaker load I mean.

Back