Looking at a Bogner Shiva...appears to be modded

Matt300ZXT

Guitar Center has a used Shiva EL34 powered amp in their inventory that looks tempting that has been modded. I noticed there is an extra small knob on the front between Volume 2 and Master Volume and one of the 4 jacks on the back that are setup sorta like the Plexis, the top right one of the 4 is plugged off, like the jack on the inside of the amp was removed and it's just a piece of metal in the way.

Are there some common mods for these amps that this amp may have had done? The price looks attractive as it'd be an easy way to get into a high end amp but if they don't know anything about the amp, who modded it, etc, it may be a nightmare in there that someone did at home and potentially screwed something up.

The ones with reverb had an extra jack and knobs on the back that were just plugged up on the no-reverb versions.

And Bogner I think use to offer a variable-boost mod to the amps (which I think is now standard?). I'll bet that's what the extra knob is.

Last edited:
I believe the mod you see on that is the John Petrucci world domination mode mod. It allows you to hypnotize the audience who will then do as you say.

That’s how Petrucci has achieved such wild success. The mod was created when Reinhold summoned the ghost of Carl Jung and Ivan Pavlov and together they achieved tonal harmony along with subliminal mind control. They decided that Petrucci would become their test subject and the mod worked spectacularly.

Guitar Center has a used Shiva EL34 powered amp in their inventory that looks tempting that has been modded. I noticed there is an extra small knob on the front between Volume 2 and Master Volume and one of the 4 jacks on the back that are setup sorta like the Plexis, the top right one of the 4 is plugged off, like the jack on the inside of the amp was removed and it's just a piece of metal in the way.

Are there some common mods for these amps that this amp may have had done? The price looks attractive as it'd be an easy way to get into a high end amp but if they don't know anything about the amp, who modded it, etc, it may be a nightmare in there that someone did at home and potentially screwed something up.
That's the one in Madison? The good news is you have 45 days to return it.....

Meh, I called about it. They've had it since September. The guy on the phone knew nothing about it, he said no one there knew anything about it. Obviously I know they test amps when they come in for sale so it should at least function but they have no idea about the amp and he says no one there has played it either. It also doesn't come with the footswitch. The amp was a good price before they started knocking money off of it, but if it's been there that long, the extra volume knob on the front and having no footswitch must be turning everyone off locally for a reason.

Take a couple pictures of the front and back control panels and then send them attn: Joe (he still worked there as of 6 months ago)
If anyone's gonna know, it's him.

sales@bogneramps.us

I believe the mod you see on that is the John Petrucci world domination mode mod. It allows you to hypnotize the audience who will then do as you say.

That’s how Petrucci has achieved such wild success. The mod was created when Reinhold summoned the ghost of Carl Jung and Ivan Pavlov and together they achieved tonal harmony along with subliminal mind control. They decided that Petrucci would become their test subject and the mod worked spectacularly.
Best Response Ever! Thanks for the Laugh.

Meh, I called about it. They've had it since September. The guy on the phone knew nothing about it, he said no one there knew anything about it. Obviously I know they test amps when they come in for sale so it should at least function but they have no idea about the amp and he says no one there has played it either. It also doesn't come with the footswitch. The amp was a good price before they started knocking money off of it, but if it's been there that long, the extra volume knob on the front and having no footswitch must be turning everyone off locally for a reason.
Just so you know their "official" test for amps traded in is plugging the amp in and making sure the pilot light comes on.... Traded one of mine and they were not even going to connect it to a cabinet and had no idea they could ruin a tube amp by not having it connected to a load...

Just so you know their "official" test for amps traded in is plugging the amp in and making sure the pilot light comes on.... Traded one of mine and they were not even going to connect it to a cabinet and had no idea they could ruin a tube amp by not having it connected to a load...
Damn, things must have changed drastically since I worked for GC. We hooked it up, jammed on it, tested all the knobs/switches. I guess that's why GC has another used Shiva and the ad says scratchy pots. Itd almost be worth submitting a lowball offer and just taking it to a local tech for a basic pot cleaning service.

Back