Looking for a pick that doesn't aggravate arthritis

Dang...I just aged myself with that title. But, I'm having an issue in my right index finger lately (most likely early arthritis). I am wondering if there is a pick that is more ergonomically designed to reduce stress when chugging away?

Smashedguitarist

I have used hufferschmid picks.They give a kick ass sound too. But thing is, you can wear them down if you are agressive.

crankyrayhanky

I've been on Gravity picks for a while now. Started with a variety pick, eventually landed on this one:

I'm not sure if I have arthritis issues, but I do have some weak fingers and constantly drop picks. These heavier picks with the hole help me to hold on a lot better. Before these, I used some floppy thin picks lol

Good luck yo!

SpiderWars

What exactly is the pain? I get little nagging pains occasionally but if I take care of it, it has always gone away. By take care of it, I mean that I stop doing whatever it is that is aggravating it. Not stop playing, but the specific movements.

There are certain ways of playing that are just harder on the hands/joints. I try to NOT play that way so I can hopefully keep playing until I'm dead. Relaxing is a big part of that, I used to play so tensed up but I'm much more relaxed now. Just from making a consious effort to relax.

What exactly is the pain? I get little nagging pains occasionally but if I take care of it, it has always gone away. By take care of it, I mean that I stop doing whatever it is that is aggravating it. Not stop playing, but the specific movements.

There are certain ways of playing that are just harder on the hands/joints. I try to NOT play that way so I can hopefully keep playing until I'm dead. Relaxing is a big part of that, I used to play so tensed up but I'm much more relaxed now. Just from making a consious effort to relax.
The pain is specifically in my index finger knuckle, and I think it's from grasping the pick with tension and digging in.

SpiderWars

The pain is specifically in my index finger knuckle, and I think it's from grasping the pick with tension and digging in.
I get that one too. They way I hold the pick puts a sideload on the tip of the finger and repeated movement makes the knuckle hurt. For me it was about relaxing, not holding the pick so tightly, and learning how to get a really strong note with minimal tension/effort. I also try not to move that thumb/finger/pick combo, keep it still and move my wrist. I wasn't moving it visibly but I can feel a difference.

I get that one too. They way I hold the pick puts a sideload on the tip of the finger and repeated movement makes the knuckle hurt. For me it was about relaxing, not holding the pick so tightly, and learning how to get a really strong note with minimal tension/effort. I also try not to move that thumb/finger/pick combo, keep it still and move my wrist. I wasn't moving it visibly but I can feel a difference.
Thanks for the advice!

I think you're 100% right and I'm not sure a different pick size/shape/material would help.

Not knowing anything about the chug chug style I'd bet a doc would tell you:

"Reduce the amount of tension you're using and dig in less hard." :ROFLMAO:

Yeah...exactly! The conversation with a doc would probably go something like this: "What makes it hurt? ....then don't do that!"