Looking for boutiquey high-gain distortion pedal

I see you ordered something already but, I'll chime in anyway.

MI Audio Crunch Box
I like the Blues Pro more but, the Crunch Box has more gain (although the Blues Pro has enough). Not a lot of money either!

psychodave":24xcgptr said:
Variable":24xcgptr said:
psychodave":24xcgptr said:
metalpedals.com

Which one?...

Bombshell. The pedal sounds amazing. Check out his video clips though a simple fender amp. At the Philly guitar show last year he sold out of his stock and had a huge crowd checking out the killer tones.

That's probably my next choice if the Barber doesn't work out; the clips are pretty killer. But I think the Barber is more what I'm looking for right now based on the clips I've heard.

ToneBone hot british and Damage Control solid metal both deliver the metal. The SM is picky on the amp, I used it in front of my Boogie MK1 and didn`t like it that much. In front of a Marshall, Fender Bassman, and my Caliber .50+, it`s nice.

Robotechnology":nj5g4nfh said:
I see you ordered something already but, I'll chime in anyway.

MI Audio Crunch Box
I like the Blues Pro more but, the Crunch Box has more gain (although the Blues Pro has enough). Not a lot of money either!

Yeah the CrunchBox is pretty sweet. A friend runs it into a Subway Rocket, and it's actually pretty damn impressive.

EWSEthan":loxbyeet said:
Suhr Riot will probably be a typical recommendation for what you want. However, I prefer the Digitech Hardwire Distortion (and Im a Suhr fanboy). When I A/Bd them I really though the Digitech sounded better. Im a tone snob so that was quite a shock to my ears. For less than $100, the Digitech is awesome.

I was there for the shootout.

That $50 Digitech is permanently in my emergency-gear-bag, aka my "Oh Sh*t Kit". If I ever have to plug into a house backline with a Fender Hotrod DeVille, I'll be A-OK with the Digitech SC2 Valve Distortion.

My findings: there are a TON of boutique pedals that do low-gain light-crunch incredibly well. But as you start moving towards high gain, they just miss the mark.

I still can't find a "boutique" pedal that sounds better than the SC2 for high gain. I'd be interested to try a dirt bomb though. I loved my old Barber pedals, although they were kinda lacking on the tonal extremeties for me - not enough bass or treble, very focused in the mids.

Devilinside":3o1ro1kk said:
The barber is an awesome pedal! I sold mine to guitarslinger and beginning to wonder if I should have kept it!

I was kind of wondering that. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I use the toggle on the most vintage, all the way to the left setting.

Devilinside":28wkma59 said:
The barber is an awesome pedal! I sold mine to guitarslinger and beginning to wonder if I should have kept it!
All the Barber stuff is badass. im a Barber fanboy for sure. :rock:

RockStarNick":37c6p2sk said:
EWSEthan":37c6p2sk said:
Suhr Riot will probably be a typical recommendation for what you want. However, I prefer the Digitech Hardwire Distortion (and Im a Suhr fanboy). When I A/Bd them I really though the Digitech sounded better. Im a tone snob so that was quite a shock to my ears. For less than $100, the Digitech is awesome.

I was there for the shootout.

That $50 Digitech is permanently in my emergency-gear-bag, aka my "Oh Sh*t Kit". If I ever have to plug into a house backline with a Fender Hotrod DeVille, I'll be A-OK with the Digitech SC2 Valve Distortion.

My findings: there are a TON of boutique pedals that do low-gain light-crunch incredibly well. But as you start moving towards high gain, they just miss the mark.

I still can't find a "boutique" pedal that sounds better than the SC2 for high gain. I'd be interested to try a dirt bomb though. I loved my old Barber pedals, although they were kinda lacking on the tonal extremeties for me - not enough bass or treble, very focused in the mids.
The Dirty Bomb is very versatile with tone, there is a mid switch to level, bump, or dip, and there's a bass tone pot inside the case, so you can dial up a lot. One thing I like most about it is how you can go from high gain with clarity to more compressed high gain really simply.

Emma Reezafratzitz or a maxon rod-880

Emma is solid state but doesn't sound like a pedal whereas the maxon rod 880 has a tube in it.

Both sound great. I have only tried out the reezafratzitz in person. It sounds amazing nontheless.

Well if you want to make the GUYTRON temporarily sound a LOT like some kind of Marshall the Tonebone Hot British is hard to beat, and won;'t make the GUYTRON sound narly and solid state like some pedals will.

ampjunkie":2cd1duj3 said:
spawnofthesith":2cd1duj3 said:
Wampler Triple wreck?

That one's great. The Pinnacle Limited is awesome too....

I just bought the Pinnacle Limited about a week ago and OMFG does it sound awesome!

Do yourself a favor and try one :thumbsup:

For metal, you really should try the Wampler Triple Wreck. It will make you cream your shorts if balls out metal tones are what you seek.

Back