Mark V 35 Mark IV Mode vs. Mark IV

The Mark V emulation isn’t as good as a genuine Mark IV. However, on the Mark IV you have to pull the gain switch to make it sound great.

I used Extreme rarely on my 35, it just seems too over the top.
That's not my experience with the V:25; the Xtreme mode actually has LESS gain than the Mark IV mode. It's just voiced a lot differently, with more low-end, openness and overall thickness.
The Mark IV mode is brighter, more raw and aggressive.

Having owned a real Mark IV, its lead channel was indeed better, bigger and bolder, but it's comparing 90W big glass/big iron apples with 25W EL84 oranges. One thing that the IV didn't have, was that awesome Crunch mode. if R2 was just that, I would have never sold my IV.

That's not my experience with the V:25; the Xtreme mode actually has LESS gain than the Mark IV mode. It's just voiced a lot differently, with more low-end, openness and overall thickness.

Having owned a real Mark IV, its lead channel was indeed better, bigger and bolder, but it's comparing 90W big glass/big iron apples with 25W EL84 oranges. One thing that the IV didn't have, was that awesome Crunch mode. if R2 was just that, I would have never sold my IV.
Seems like Extreme Mode is just a Mark IV with the presence Pushed In, cause that is exactly how it sounds, more open, more bass, different voicing, takes a boost better. With it Pulled it's more like a typical Mark IIC+ voicing.

Reactions: LCW

I have R2 Dialed in great on my IV. Trick is pull the presence and the pull fat and crank the gain, at least thatès the trick with the IVb... sounds very much like a lower gain version of the lead channel, and the crunch tones are there at loud volumes.

I don't notice much difference.They replaced a lot of stuff. It may be a bit brighter but may be my imagination too. It sounds great.

Do you mind sharing the list of what they replaced? I am assuming some vactrols were replaced as well.

Do you mind sharing the list of what they replaced? I am assuming some vactrols were replaced as well.
I'm not sure, I just asked them to go through it and fix whatever it needed. It was pretty noisy and dirty. Mike asked if I wanted just the bad caps changed or all of them. I went with all of them since the price was pretty reasonable. 3 pages of invoice below.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50625686748_ba99a3595f_b.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50625687758_9ffc4863be_b.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50626532527_aabbdba857_b.jpg
Mike Bendinelli: AC grnd switch smashed in, replace. Replace busted off Slave/di pot. Replace corroded Rev RCA jacks. Upgrade .1/400 caps at V5 to .1/630 volt. The one remaining orig 8200 mf cap on low volt supply was breaking loose allowing crackling and hum, replaced. The 047 org drop cap C234 to master pot was shorted putting dc volts on the master and loading down the V2B plate voltage. Replaced the AC cord, contact on plug split open. Replaced the electrolytic caps thru out, except the 2- 8200mf caps already replaced. Remove as clean out the LD pres and the OUTPUT pot, pull switches very crunchy. Cleaned all the other pots jacks and pre sockets as needed. Tubes all serviceable, tested all with bench FTSW and Reverb tank. Revived the red LED for ch 3. Labor 2.75 hrs.

I have R2 Dialed in great on my IV. Trick is pull the presence and the pull fat and crank the gain, at least thatès the trick with the IVb... sounds very much like a lower gain version of the lead channel, and the crunch tones are there at loud volumes.
Mine was a IVa, maybe that's the difference. I heard plenty folks agree that R2 was lacklustre and needed a boost if you wanted to make use of it in a hardrock/metal rhythm tone. This is not the case with the V:25's Crunch Mode. That has plenty of gain by itself to do EVH.

I'm not sure, I just asked them to go through it and fix whatever it needed. It was pretty noisy and dirty. Mike asked if I wanted just the bad caps changed or all of them. I went with all of them since the price was pretty reasonable. 3 pages of invoice below.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50625686748_ba99a3595f_b.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50625687758_9ffc4863be_b.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50626532527_aabbdba857_b.jpg
Mike Bendinelli: AC grnd switch smashed in, replace. Replace busted off Slave/di pot. Replace corroded Rev RCA jacks. Upgrade .1/400 caps at V5 to .1/630 volt. The one remaining orig 8200 mf cap on low volt supply was breaking loose allowing crackling and hum, replaced. The 047 org drop cap C234 to master pot was shorted putting dc volts on the master and loading down the V2B plate voltage. Replaced the AC cord, contact on plug split open. Replaced the electrolytic caps thru out, except the 2- 8200mf caps already replaced. Remove as clean out the LD pres and the OUTPUT pot, pull switches very crunchy. Cleaned all the other pots jacks and pre sockets as needed. Tubes all serviceable, tested all with bench FTSW and Reverb tank. Revived the red LED for ch 3. Labor 2.75 hrs.

Awesome, that is helpful. The Caps at V5 changing them to 630V is something I would have missed. I will also check that the C234 cap is not leaking DC on mine, just in case. I am going to replace all the electrolytic caps, but my amps always get last priority, so it will be a while.

I don’t particularly think LD2 Red on the Triaxis sounds like a Mk IV. In terms of IV vs V, I prefer the raw tone of the IV, but the V wins hands down on versatility. Just depends on your need.

Mark IV has a better high gain sound, Mark V is better for everything else.

Agree with this too.
I think the key issue with the V lead channel is the preamp gain control is fixed internally at 5 or so, they only give you the lead gain control to work with. A mod to add a concentric pot for control of both gains would be ideal.

A friend of mine has a 5:35 and I was excited to try it out. I found it stiff and overly bright. Obviously I know these are amps that you gotta spend a lot of time dialing in but I was not that impressed with it, especially when considering the price they sell for.

I don’t particularly think LD2 Red on the Triaxis sounds like a Mk IV. In terms of IV vs V, I prefer the raw tone of the IV, but the V wins hands down on versatility. Just depends on your need.
Anyone know what channel Hetfield used on his Triaxis? was it the channel that is supposed to sound like a Mark? or what? I dug his live tone during the 90's - early 2000's.

Anyone know what channel Hetfield used on his Triaxis? was it the channel that is supposed to sound like a Mark? or what? I dug his live tone during the 90's - early 2000's.
Keep in mind that James used modded units, and also a custom external 5-band equalizer to better approximate the Mark tones rather than the Triaxis limited Dynamic Voice control.

That said, he appeared to use Lead 2 Yellow, the Mark IIC+ channel, for his high gain sounds.

Also Rhythm Green, the Mark I channel, for clean sounds.

Keep in mind that these were also often blended with other amps.

Attachments

• jamesmesaracksm-507x750.jpg
    jamesmesaracksm-507x750.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back