Marshall style amp build with Chris Merren transformers

jasonP

Thanks Dave for recomending me to him. Totally custom winds his own transformers. Great guy to deal with.

Built a Marshall style amp with these transformers and just loving it. Feels just right and sounds awesome. I would totally recomend him to anybody looking to do custom builds or Marshall style.
P4290014.jpg

P4290011.jpg

cyndicate":1zb5lk3d said:
Sweet build! What circuit is that based on? Looks really clean :rock:

Could you get the filter cap values too? Thanks!

cyndicate":2udhfvek said:
Sweet build! What circuit is that based on? Looks really clean :rock:

Thanks everyone! It is not super high gain, more mid gain 80's type and way more harmonics then my slo clone. Sounds like you are playing 2 or 3 notes at once sometimes, just has a lot going on. Pretty cool.

I based the filtering off a 68. So 100/100 mains, 33 for pi and pre-amp, 10 uf for the extra gain stage.
I used a little bit of the VM to help me along, but with some value changes.... Used larry's ppmiv with the vox cut control from Randal Akien. Depth, presence on the back. 800 style master to adjust drive into the PI. Also added bright switch for bright control on the gain, this is super nice for cleans, one of the better sounding cleans I've heard. Then a contour switch for either more upper mids or lower, just basically shifts the mid range around. Rectifier tube loop both series and parallel switchable.

Also I got the dual voltage power from Chris. Pretty awesome. Goes from 460-470v to 500v. So spongy and softer sounding to bold and tight. I will never build an amp for myself with out this feature.

Next amp will be again a Marshall style but aluminum chassis. Dual 100's for the mains and rest 50/50 with 20uf for the extra pre-amp tube. This next amp is going to be a beefed up 800 with no ppimv. Basically all out 80's higher gain. Jose style. Should be fun. Going to use Chris again for the transformers and maybe try his 2" stack and see how that works out.

Thanks! Jason

Back