Marshall SV20H vs SC20H vs DSL20HR vs 2525H (20w Marshalls)

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

Hey all,

I've been wanting to do this shootout for quite a while now so I'm super stoked to be sharing this with you guys. I'm a Marshall amp fan and I really love the 20 watt heads. That's why I have 4 of them. I have the following models:

-SV20H Studio Vintage 1959 SLP
-SC20H Studio Classic JCM 800
-2525H Silver Jubilee Studio (limited edition in split vinyl)
-DSL20HR

They each do their jobs very well and they are a joy to play through. The SV20H offers that classic Plexi sound and I really like how versatile the amp actually is with the jumper options etc. It took me a little while to nail how to work this amp because dialing in the EQ can be different from other amps, in my experience.

The SC20H has more bite and a bit more low-end than the SV20H. It really has that Marshall JCM800 bite and grind. With this one I like how you can dial in the thickness and body with the preamp gain and volume control of the guitar. Nice and sparkly overall.

The 2525H is perhaps a more versatile and differently voiced version of a JCM800. It certainly has more gain than the other 2 and the overall EQ character is unique. The dual channel option and pull rhythm clip add a LOT to the tonal versatility of the amp. I can recommend this one to anyone who wants something that 'does it all'.

The DSL20HR is more affordable than the other ones and it's also the amp with the most modern, saturated and 'fizzy' (not in a bad way) sound. It has less of that upper-mid push than the others and the amp has more gain and sag overall. I still think it sounds pretty great in the mix! Just different.

Anyway, here's the comparion. I would love to know your thoughts!

Marked for later. Have been looking to pick up one of the 20 watters. I already have a DSL100HR so the mini jube, JJ jr, and Bogner 3534 are on the list.

fek":2yagcdls said:
Marked for later. Have been looking to pick up one of the 20 watters. I already have a DSL100HR so the mini jube, JJ jr, and Bogner 3534 are on the list.

Which one would you choose of the 20 watters?

Finally got to watch the vid. Very well done! A little bit long but easy to skip around if needed.

For me, any of those would be fun to have. Since I already have a DSL, I would take the mini Jube or 800 next. But at the prices that they go for new I would probably try the JJ Jr. or Bogner 3534 first.

I would go for the jub from that lineup. Saying that though, my Splawn Supersport would slaughter any of those and aren't a whole lot more expensive IIRC. That is me though. And TBH, if I didn't have my SS, (which was a stupid good deal on on CL with a matching 2x12"), I would take a JJ Jr. over the Marshall's too, tbh.

But it was a nice clip. I do agree that it was a bit long. But I still enjoyed it.

Thanks for the clips. I have a SV20C and I really like it so far. Stupid loud even on the 5 watt setting.

Finally got to watch the vid. Very well done! A little bit long but easy to skip around if needed.

For me, any of those would be fun to have. Since I already have a DSL, I would take the mini Jube or 800 next. But at the prices that they go for new I would probably try the JJ Jr. or Bogner 3534 first.
I would go for the jub from that lineup. Saying that though, my Splawn Supersport would slaughter any of those and aren't a whole lot more expensive IIRC. That is me though. And TBH, if I didn't have my SS, (which was a stupid good deal on on CL with a matching 2x12"), I would take a JJ Jr. over the Marshall's too, tbh.

But it was a nice clip. I do agree that it was a bit long. But I still enjoyed it.
What kind of music do you play. The JJ is a darker amp. Never played the Splawn but not a fan of 6V6 tubes or EL84's in the JJ.

Never heard of the Bogner just looked it up looks cool. But no switch down to 5 watts.

What kind of music do you play. The JJ is a darker amp. Never played the Splawn but not a fan of 6V6 tubes or EL84's in the JJ.

general metal (2000's) and doom, not 80's, some thrash and a bit of blues. I am not a big EL84 fan either but the JJ is one of the better ones, the 6V6 hold the bottom end of the Splawn tighter and I feel like it has better low end (for a small bottle amp). I notice better clean headroom with the 6V6 as well than a typical EL84 amp of the same power.

if you are looking for power I would take 6L6/EL34 all day but that IMO is a different amp other than the aforementioned Marshall's. I would be most interested in the Jubilee of the Marshall low watt bunch in general.

general metal (2000's) and doom, not 80's, some thrash and a bit of blues. I am not a big EL84 fan either but the JJ is one of the better ones, the 6V6 hold the bottom end of the Splawn tighter and I feel like it has better low end (for a small bottle amp). I notice better clean headroom with the 6V6 as well than a typical EL84 amp of the same power.

if you are looking for power I would take 6L6/EL34 all day but that IMO is a different amp other than the aforementioned Marshall's. I would be most interested in the Jubilee of the Marshall low watt bunch in general.
Great response. I agree with everything you just said. I have the Mini Jubilee but I don't play metal just hard rock.

Back