Mesa Boogie Rectifier gurus

BrentSP

Skimming over the 3 channel recto schematic and SLO 100 schematic, channel 2 vintage mode is exactly the same to the SLO that I’ve found other than the gain pot is 250k recto and 500k SLO. Why do these two amps sound worlds apart from each other? Trannys, different brand of components is a given but values are the same. Am I missing something? I’d like to find and mod a 1st gen 3 Chan to a 3 channel SLO spec where I don’t have a need for a boost.

Skimming over the 3 channel recto schematic and SLO 100 schematic, channel 2 vintage mode is exactly the same to the SLO that I’ve found other than the gain pot is 250k recto and 500k SLO. Why do these two amps sound worlds apart from each other? Trannys, different brand of components is a given but values are the same. Am I missing something? I’d like to find and mod a 1st gen 3 Chan to a 3 channel SLO spec where I don’t have a need for a boost.
I've always been curious about this too. The 2 amps could not come across more differently.

I actually prefer the voice of the recto personally. Never owned a slo. But plenty rectos. Played the slo few times. But never really rocked one in a jam session
Having owned many rectos and SLOs I don’t necessarily prefer it over the SLO but I definitely like the rectos with a boost. Both great amps indeed.

I'm gonna be the hater.

I don't jive with boogies at all, but especially the Recto, and absolutely love the SLO. (Esp for leads)

From what I understand, the trannies, power section, and component choice are what makes them different, and holy crap what a difference.

I too am in the field of loving the Recto and disliking the SLO. Had a 2015 SLO modded out from Soldano ( depth etc etc ) And could never jive with it. Have had three rectos and loved them all ( tremoverb, rev f and now multi-watt ) The multi-watt is a permanent amp in my collection.

Much prefer the Rectifier over the SLO.

Using the same schematic is never going to get the same results. This is true with all amps. Even if you used identical parts it would sound different. No two individual sound identical....even if made the same day by the same people. The SLO and Rectifier use very different parts. Most important things like the transformer are going to make them sound and react different.

Much prefer the Rectifier over the SLO.

Using the same schematic is never going to get the same results. This is true with all amps. Even if you used identical parts it would sound different. No two individual sound identical....even if made the same day by the same people. The SLO and Rectifier use very different parts. Most important things like the transformer are going to make them sound and react different.
Sometimes. Ever played a C3 SLO clone with DeYoungs?

Last edited:
Skimming over the 3 channel recto schematic and SLO 100 schematic, channel 2 vintage mode is exactly the same to the SLO that I’ve found other than the gain pot is 250k recto and 500k SLO. Why do these two amps sound worlds apart from each other? Trannys, different brand of components is a given but values are the same. Am I missing something? I’d like to find and mod a 1st gen 3 Chan to a 3 channel SLO spec where I don’t
You need to check out the Boogie Board, there's a sticky about "Want Pre 500 tone? Here's how" under the Rectifier section; in it you will find ways to mod your 3 channel to Rev C specs or close. I did just a few to my F Triple (all easily reversible) and now it is tighter and brighter with more focused gain, and better clarity..equal to my C+. All I did was jump 3 resistors, bypass 1 LDR and change the Red Presence pot, and both gain pots.
I like SLOs and Rectifiers both....

Picked up another SLO 100 serial #182423 so it’s one of the last ones he made before selling out to BAD. Also sent my Recto to John Tokarski of JT Amps. He use to be a Boogie tech and managed Boogie Hollywood for over 20yrs. Knows the recto in and out. I asked him this question about both amps. @DanTravis62 is correct. It’s the power supply and power amp that are drastically different. The boogie power amp is equivalent to a worn out trampoline where as the SLO is structured for a tight, open, clear high headroom stiff brick wall.
Btw JT Recto mod is incredible.

^
I’d agree with this.
The SLO power section simply will not compress.
The Boogie power section will.
Makes a massive difference to the tone and feel.
The Recto is a cool amp, I’ve only owned a Multiwatt but for that tight high gain dropped D sound I was going for with it, I much preferred my SLO.

Back