Mesa California Tweed Head

japetus

Has anyone played this amp? I have been seeing a few around for some good deals. I like the power scaling options and I really like the idea of a loud tweedish sounding amp with tighter bass I could run through a 4x12 Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

I played thru it many times. One of my close friends has one. Never used it with a 4x12.
Tighter bass than what ? It doesn't seem like it has very tight bass to me. It does have more gain than the Deluxe Fenders I have used. It's not as loud as a Fender Twin Tweed.

The various power modes are as much about tone and feel as volume.

I played thru it many times. One of my close friends has one. Never used it with a 4x12.
Tighter bass than what ? It doesn't seem like it has very tight bass to me. It does have more gain than the Deluxe Fenders I have used. It's not as loud as a Fender Twin Tweed.

Did you happen to use and drive/distortion pedals with it?
If so , did the clean sound *blend* with the distorted sound?

I mean tight as in not sloppy. Just a good cranked up tweed tone maybe boosted with a fuzz or a light boost with my Tele. Kinda like Wallflowers tones or Petty tones just with my 4x12.

Last edited:
Did you happen to use and drive/distortion pedals with it?
If so , did the clean sound *blend* with the distorted sound?
I used a Rockett Icon with it. I wasn't using a clean sound on the amp. I only tried it a few minutes messing with lead sounds on a 1x12 combo. Seemed to work fine. I rarely use overdrive or distortion pedals. I'm not into them.

I mean tight as in not sloppy. Just a good cranked up tweed tone maybe boosted with a fuzz or a light boost with my Tele. Kinda like Wallflowers tones or Petty tones just with my 4x12.
I have only used the amp as a combo 1x12. Never tried it with a 4x12. It should do okay doing those type sounds. I didn't dial in that stuff. But it seems fine in that gain range. That stuff sounds more like Vox.... It's doesn't do Vox sounds. More A modified Fender thing.
I don't think of tweed as a tight sound. But if you keep the bass reasonable it stays focused.

Back