Metallica - Black Album tones

JakeAC5253

Nobody ever really talks about Metallica here, I'm not really an uberfan myself, but hey let's be honest, the tones they got on the Black Album were pretty damn heavy, even to this day. Anybody have any details on what went into the making of these tracks other than EMG 81's? I'm pretty sure they were using Mesa's by then.

OldSkoolNJ":67djt5jw said:
JakeAC5253":67djt5jw said:
Nobody ever really talks about Metallica here, I'm not really an uberfan myself, but hey let's be honest, the tones they got on the Black Album were pretty damn heavy, even to this day. Anybody have any details on what went into the making of these tracks other than EMG 81's? I'm pretty sure they were using Mesa's by then.

:thumbsup: http://www.montyjay.com/jamesamps.html
http://www.montyjay.com/kirkamps.html

These are definitely great references. On the black album they used Mark IIC+s like usual. MANY guitar tracks (up to 9 at some points). Lots of studio magic. Not something you can get out of a single head or probably even a stereo rig. But ya, that is some damn great tone for sure :rock:

And we should talk more about Metallica. Without a doubt, my favorite band.

OldSkoolNJ":17gtkrxn said:
JakeAC5253":17gtkrxn said:

:thumbsup: http://www.montyjay.com/jamesamps.html
http://www.montyjay.com/kirkamps.html

Sicck.

Cabs: Boogie for clean, cutting stuff, Marshalls with 30 watt Celestion Vintage 30s for warmth.

Where can one acquire 30w Vintage 30's?

I think that was Hetfield mistaking that since they were named vintage 30''s, that they were 30 watts...
Any Vintage 30 that I have ever had was 60 watts..

All you need to replicate his clean sound is a Roland JC120 Combo..

I thought it was still the Mark IIC+ as well. They just dialed in more mids than their earlier albums, and obviously the studio magic...

Shask":1mlcm7ax said:
I thought it was still the Mark IIC+ as well. They just dialed in more mids than their earlier albums, and obviously the studio magic...
That was always my assumption too... Dunno what albums setting this is but it is his..

OldSkoolNJ":3qna0r7h said:
Shask":3qna0r7h said:
That was always my assumption too... Dunno what albums setting this is but it is his..

its showing absolutley no mids on that amp!

They didn't use Recto's for that album,MK IIC+ MK4 Marshall,triaxis.
400's watch the video "year and a half in the life of Metallica"
Hetfield was also using a Danelectro baritone for some of the heavier riffs.
And yes that tone is untouchable and heavy,love that sound,to bad they didn't record puppets and justice with those tones..

locoed":3ex5yo9g said:
And yes that tone is untouchable and heavy,love that sound,to bad they didn't record puppets and justice with those tones..

+1 to your post.
Yeah I have that video too! I remember watching it and thinking holy fuck, "Sad but true" guitar tone is just killing.

locoed":15h64rtc said:

I watched that video hundreds of times! Wore out my VHS when I was 16. :LOL: :LOL: I should buy the DVD and fire it up for a trip down memory lane. :thumbsup:

Besides all the amps and tracks used - don't forget to throw Bob Rock into the equation. I've read some interviews with him on the topic of that tone. Bottom line was that he was playing/experimenting A LOT with room acoustics and mic placements.

You can say what you want about the music on Load and ReLoad, but if we're talking tone... Those are the most amazing of them all. Those, and the Garange Days/Garage Inc-stuff.

155":mbh3g1rn said:
OldSkoolNJ":mbh3g1rn said:
Shask":mbh3g1rn said:

I ran those settings on my Mark IIC+ last week and its a tremendous amount of bass, they had to have been running it with another amp there is just no way it was by itself like that.

EXPcustom":ecs5r6lv said:
155":ecs5r6lv said:
OldSkoolNJ":ecs5r6lv said:
Shask":ecs5r6lv said:

I ran those settings on my Mark IIC+ last week and its a tremendous amount of bass, they had to have been running it with another amp there is just no way it was by itself like that.

What about the Aphex paremetric eq in the loop?

OldSkoolNJ":1rbuphdj said:
EXPcustom":1rbuphdj said:
155":1rbuphdj said:
OldSkoolNJ":1rbuphdj said:
Shask":1rbuphdj said:

What about the Aphex paremetric eq in the loop?

Good idea, I will buy one and report back. :LOL: :LOL:

Back