Mods to My JJ 100

jeff5

I love my JJ 100, it has defeated several other amps that I have tried side by side. Every time I do this, I go back to my JJ and sell the other stuff. However, I'm thinking of ways to make it even better. Dave and I have traded some e-mails on this but I'd like the forum's ideas too and maybe some feedback on what you guys have done.

Mods I know can be done:
-Depth/thump mod
-Separate gain knob for JJ channel (it already has a separate MV with footswitch able BE/JBE)

Clean Channel Ideas
I like the channel a lot but would like some gain to it. I would actually love if it could go from pristine clean like it is now to basically AC/DC/Plexi levels of gain.

BE Channel Ideas
I'd love to get a bit more gain out of this channel. (Yes I know I can use a pedal but sometimes I don't want to =D) I also wouldn't mind some different voicings, maybe like a Smallbox voicing or something like that. Just for versatility.

JBE Channel Ideas
This channel is almost perfect but wouldn't mind a bit more gain. I also would love to have a Butterslax switch to turn this into the 3rd channel of the Butterslax. (Not sure if the JJ amp architecture allows for this)

These are things floating around in my head. I know I can e-mail Dave too, but thought I'd get some ideas an input from you all as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

The common theme is that you want more gain in every channel. Maybe there is one common mod that will accomplish that. I'm not familiar with the JJ so I don't know what would be involved.

The JJ100 actually has a spot on the board to populate the components for the HBE gain stage. It's the same board in the BE100, and Butterslax. You basically have half a 12ax7 doing nothing. There's where you get more gain.

As for getting more gain on the clean, you can do that too. The clean taps between the 100k+220k plate load resistors on the first gain stage. You can reconfigure that for more gain, tap it right at the plate instead of the junction of the 100k+220k.

Nice thread. I love my JJ-100 with the JBE MV volume knob mod. I definitely want a Thump knob, but feel the JBE channel doesn't need it, but BE channel could use it. I tend to boost my BE channel with a Spark Boost that has the bass and treble controls on it, and I boost the bass on the pedal to give me a bit more. I would love to see a JJ-100 DLX, so maybe you have something like this:

-C45
-3 way Voice
-3 way Frequency
-3 way response
-Thump knob
-JBE Gain and Volume Knob
-BE, Clean, JBE selectable on the footswitch

If you want BE, JJ, Slax all in one, perhaps just get the BE100 DLX?

The really cool thing is that pretty much almost anything is possible with Dave Friedman. Just email him!

Back