More pickup advice needed

MarcoR

I didn’t want to hijack richedie’s thread so I’ll start a new one.

I need recommendations for a strat with two humbuckers. I have two strats, one with a Suhr DSH+ bridge and SD59 neck.

The other is the one I want new pups for. Currently it has 3 SD mini humbuckers; (Hotrail bridge, vintage rail middle and lil’ 59 neck).

It has universal routing so I want to switch it to two humbuckers like my other guitar. It doesn’t sound bad to me as is but with the way you guys talk about Seymour Duncans, I’m starting to question it and wonder how much better it could sound.

Plus, the mini’s are not even close to being as loud as real humbuckers. The two guitars vary greatly in volume; yet while I want the volume to be more consistent, I’d still like some variety in tone between the two.

So what should I try???

I like vintage tones but I think I’m more modern although I probably sound 80’s.
I’m not a super high gain freak and my two favorite modules are the B’man and EG3/4. The pups have to be splitable and would still use a 5 way switch.

I would e-mail Wade at Motor City and tell him exactly what you are looking for and I think he'll make a good recommendation for you.

I'd recommend the MCP Afwayus, 2nd Degree Black Belts (based on Jason and other's descriptions), and the BKP Crawlers.

Eric

Do the MCP come without covers? I checked out the site; some cool looks but more of an LP style. I wonder what that would look like on a Strat? Not that I care about looks over the sound.
:scared:

MarcoR":2qu0ekmw said:
Do the MCP come without covers? I checked out the site; some cool looks but more of an LP style. I wonder what that would look like on a Strat? Not that I care about looks over the sound.
:scared:

He can do anything you want. Black, white, zebra, chrome, nickel, black, crazy off the wall looks...emg type look...etc.

Ahhh, Eric beat me to it, but at least I'm answering before Jason :LOL: :LOL: I also recommend Afwayu (modern) for one axe and 2nd Degree blackbelt (hot PAF) for the other. They are PLENTY different from each other. Tone for days out of each!

aeroic":2tpcs6vt said:
He can do anything you want. Black, white, zebra, chrome, nickel, black, crazy off the wall looks...emg type look...etc.

Excelent!

MichaelG":2tpcs6vt said:
Ahhh, Eric beat me to it, but at least I'm answering before Jason :LOL: :LOL: I also recommend Afwayu (modern) for one axe and 2nd Degree blackbelt (hot PAF) for the other. They are PLENTY different from each other. Tone for days out of each!

That sounds like a great idea!

Hmmm. I think I will do the 2nd Degree BB thing but what about the Detroiter? No specs on the web site. I know the 2DBB is about 9.5K.

MichaelG":3tjgo4aj said:
Funny shit guys,as I was swapping pickups for a buddy in my old explorer I sold him :LOL: :LOL: He had a Duncan Distortion thats about 25 yrs old and I have to say that it burns there new stuff as I still have a newer DD and it's not in the same boat :no: but he took out some Rio grande's(crunchbox set) and all I can say is BLAH!!!They sucked.This being said I broke out the stash of goods for him and he had to change his shorts :LOL: :LOL: He fucking loved the 2nd Degree as it's very versatile and open minded and just creamed over the Solutions :rock:

For vintage to modern tones, a real sleeper is the Suhr SSV+. Good amount of drive, great in the mids and super open and big sounding. Very much along the lines of another great pickup, the WCR Godwood. Both pickups do the whole vintage and up thing really well. So does the Bare Knuckle Emerald, very raw and forward with great bite...super pissed off sounding.

Heard so much great stuff about Motor City, so I just ordered over $1000 worth of 'em! Should have them within a couple of weeks.

luxxtone":2r3to2tj said:
For vintage to modern tones, a real sleeper is the Suhr SSV+. Good amount of drive, great in the mids and super open and big sounding. Very much along the lines of another great pickup, the WCR Godwood. Both pickups do the whole vintage and up thing really well. So does the Bare Knuckle Emerald, very raw and forward with great bite...super pissed off sounding.

Heard so much great stuff about Motor City, so I just ordered over $1000 worth of 'em! Should have them within a couple of weeks.
:LOL: :LOL:
I really think the shootout did justice as I've heard/owned some of them models in there and it really gives you an Idea.Just wish he had more time,as I think there were some more really great choices in there that got pushed aside because of time.Them BKs and WCRs had some soul too :thumbsup:

luxxtone":exg3qnd3 said:

My Suhr's squeel. Great sound but not so happy about the microphonics.

3 Mile Stone":2g9ressd said:
luxxtone":2g9ressd said:

Really????? I have a set in my Modern and my Warmoth tele, and I don't have that issue :(

3 Mile Stone":14rolfk7 said:
luxxtone":14rolfk7 said:

I've never had that problem with ANY Suhr's before? You may have something wrong in your wiring or your rig. Those pickups are usually dead quiet even in high-gain situations. Did you put covers on them yourself or anything like that? Weird.

3 Mile Stone":11cvewdg said:
luxxtone":11cvewdg said:

I had an SSV in my pro series and no squeal,but I really did not like it at all,kinda bland.

I don't know, maybe it's the nickel covers? Came that way. It's an SSH. It's not horrible bad but i have to work it to keep it under control. I don't really play all that high gain either. Weird.

Don't forget about Guitar Force pickups. Kevin and Wade are friends and I believe have even collaborated on pickups. His stuff is equally as good. I know I have used both.

The torque kills in an LP, kills!

3 Mile Stone":3kx278bn said:
I don't know, maybe it's the nickel covers? Came that way. It's an SSH. It's not horrible bad but i have to work it to keep it under control. I don't really play all that high gain either. Weird.

It's possible that the covers were not entirely wax potted when they were installed? Pretty rare from Suhr, but it is possible. I've heard pickups do that before, the cover actually has a high-pitch squeal/ringing when there is a tiny air gap between the pickup and the cover. If you put your amp on kinda loud, tap on the cover itself with your pick and see if it does that high ringing sound. If it does, that may be the issue and you can probably talk to Suhr about it.

luxxtone":1le9rkrs said:
3 Mile Stone":1le9rkrs said:

It's possible that the covers were not entirely wax potted when they were installed? Pretty rare from Suhr, but it is possible. I've heard pickups do that before, the cover actually has a high-pitch squeal/ringing when there is a tiny air gap between the pickup and the cover. If you put your amp on kinda loud, tap on the cover itself with your pick and see if it does that high ringing sound. If it does, that may be the issue and you can probably talk to Suhr about it.

Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines. I have considered getting another just to see, but might as well move towards another brand if I was heading there anyway. Not sure, not in a hurry either. Motor City is very appealing right now.

Back