Motley Crüe Carabi Album Tone

messenger

I love the guitar tone on Motley Crüe’s self titled album with Carabi. It’s massive. What amp captures this tone the best. I realize it’s probably multiple amps and studio processing and multi tracked. But as a stand alone amp and 4x12 what head would come closest in your opinion.

Yep! My fav Crüe album.
Darker than their other more poppy stuff, I would compare it in line with Van Halen’s Fair Warning album in their catalog… Darker but extremely cool guitar textures, (in my opinion), the songs are all fantastic.
I don’t know if it’s necessarily the guitar tone itself, or the way it was recorded, the guitars are right up front in your face and Rippin.

I think if they called something other than Crüe it might have been more popular. I think the different sound and singer alienated a lot of fans, and the name made it difficult for non fans to jump on board during the grunge era.
What’s crazy is it was on MTV after school every day when I came home . I was shocked it didn’t sell. Hooligans Holiday got some play . I had the Crue ring shirt too from that era .

Yep! My fav Crüe album.
Darker than their other more poppy stuff, I would compare it in line with Van Halen’s Fair Warning album in their catalog… Darker but extremely cool guitar textures, (in my opinion), the songs are all fantastic.
I don’t know if it’s necessarily the guitar tone itself, or the way it was recorded, the guitars are right up front in your face and Rippin.
Bob Rock!

What’s crazy is it was on MTV after school every day when I came home . I was shocked it didn’t sell. Hooligans Holiday got some play . I had the Crue ring shirt too from that era .
Yes…when I heard the first song, hooligans holiday, “Drop dead beauties stompin up a storm”, it made me 😂😂😂
I preferred Carabi‘s voice over Vince, but I realize I’m in the minority, compared to ‘real hardcore’ Crue fans…

Last edited:
I dig Corabi’s previous work in The Scream and listen to it often. That Crue album is seriously underrated. Killer SLO tone. I met John once when he was playing rhythm for the Warren version of Ratt, back in 2002/3…they had the singer from Love/Hate on vocals. He sounded better than Pearcy! John was a super nice dude and answered all our questions (my band all went to the show).

Yes…when I heard the first song, hooligans holiday, “Drop dead beauties stompin up a storm”, it made me 😂😂😂
I preferred Carabi‘s voice over Vince Neal, but I realize I’m in the minority, compared to ‘real hardcore’ Crue fans…
I liked both . That’s ok too !

LOVE that record, my second favorite Crue album after Dr. Feelgood. Such a departure from the polished sound they had on Feelgood, much more raw and heavy, Corabi's singing on it is just killer. Mick's tone was a blend of his trusty Jose modded Marshall and an SLO, Bob Rock talks about it here at 1:15:30

It's not that it is a bad album it just is that the sound of Motley Crue is those 3 guys together. I say 3 cause technically Nikki was a great writer but his bass parts could have been done by anyone. ( and might have been if you buy the whole Theatre of Pain stand in bass player conspiracy theory!) But that sound are those grating high Vince vocals against the drop tuning of Mick's guitars and Tommy's 4 on the floor and creative hi hat work. that said, after Feelgood, that album was the right sound to go for given the grunge scene and it holds up on it's own merit.

I dig Corabi’s previous work in The Scream and listen to it often. That Crue album is seriously underrated. Killer SLO tone. I met John once when he was playing rhythm for the Warren version of Ratt, back in 2002/3…they had the singer from Love/Hate on vocals. He sounded better than Pearcy! John was a super nice dude and answered all our questions (my band all went to the show).

He seems like a good dude. Also a straight shooter. I love that he openly questions a lot of Nikki's stories in the heroin diaries and calls out the obvious b.s where he see's a departure from reality and the truth.

I HATE literally everything about Motley Crue but this album's tone >>> crushes >>> any tone Bob Rock ever achieved for Metallica.

Well this just adds to my SLO Gas. Should have broke down and bought one years ago before prices went absolutely crazy.

Well this just adds to my SLO Gas. Should have broke down and bought one years ago before prices went absolutely crazy.
What about a modded Jet City or Splawn of some kind? I mean, are you heading out in a Corabi/Crue cover band tour or you just looking to cop some close'ish tones? Also look at that TC Electronics Relic pedal - that will help with the doubling.

Love Corabi/Crue BTW.
Not my fav Crue album because that goes to Shout or Theatre.

Last edited:
What about a modded Jet City or Splawn of some kind? I mean, are heading out in a Corabi/Crue cover band tour or you just looking to cop some close'ish tones? Also look at that TC Electronics Relic pedal - that will help with the doubling.

Love Corabi/Crue BTW.
Not my fav Crue album because that goes to Shout or Theatre.
Just LOVE the tones on that album. I’ve had SLO gas for YEARS. Was too cheap back in the day when you could find them used under $3k. Now they’re crazy.

Personally, I really don’t think his tone is amazing on this album because of the SLO, maybe to some degree, it’s the mix of it with his Jose Marshall and mostly, (in my opinion) the incredible job the guitar was recorded, EQ’d and the way it sits in the mix.

Back