MTS Judge Module.. Why so hard to find?

Kapo_Polenton

Ok, Squidoo is listed as having 5 in stock.. however they only ship within the USA and I am up north in the mighty prosperous canuck nation of Canada. How the heck is a brother supposed to get his hands on this?? Also, the fact that it can be found virtually nowhere coupled with the fact that Randall decided not to go into full production with the NBK 100 nuno module they had prototyped for the MTS line (what a mistake it sounds great, check youtube), am I wasting my time looking or hopign for new and exciting things from the modules? Are the modders the only option??

you can thank the douchebaggery from US Music Corp, and their abysmal failure with Randall.

I had one for a short period of time. It is a good mid gain tone that can be bright or dark depending on where the mode switch is set. It takes a boost well and sounds pretty good. The link below will take you to a thread where the guy I sold mine to sold it again. Maybe contact the buyer in case he decides to move it.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12538

I can help you out since I am "Squidoo".

I was just recording with my GTO module last night. IMO it is the best module so far in this series.

Thanks for the replies fellas! Chubtone I'll contact you..

and yes, total fail here for Randall. They are sitting on something great here. Such a great idea .. yes a lot of these modules are similar but so are a 5150, a soldano, and a bugera 6262 so really, isn't that the point? Similar because based off similar designs but different in the end product..

Kapo_Polenton":tpohor5p said:

and yes, total fail here for Randall. They are sitting on something great here. Such a great idea .. yes a lot of these modules are similar but so are a 5150, a soldano, and a bugera 6262 so really, isn't that the point? Similar because based off similar designs but different in the end product..

I don't want to come off as too much of a Randall cheerleader here but that company has gone through some large transitions recently. The new company that owns them has hired a new amp designer that is very into the MTS series and the concept of them. They have been owned by three companies in I believe the last three years and the company in the middle had no clue and just let a lot of things go to pot with the whole company. Things seem to be turning around and I notice a renewed enthusiasm with the sales reps and the inside guys. The head of amp design regularly emails me to get a feel for what is going on and to help solve any issues we are having. I would describe him as fantastic to deal with and my new sales rep is too.

Both of the guys that work for me own the MTS series heads and several modules. Heck, Jay has every module. But I have managed to avoid bringing one home for the last 5 years. I couldn't avoid it after this new GTO module was released. I absolutely love this module and it's modded Marshall vibe. I used to like the SL+ the best but this one I like WAY more.

MTS stuff sounds fantastic with the Charvel I grabbed.....in particular the GTO I got from Squid! :)

I have another Charvel (San Dimas) arriving tomorrow....love me some Candy! :D

EDIT: there was a GTO/Judge FS recently on MTSforum....darn, looks like it sold!

danhops":1enzg1h2 said:
I cant see this being much different than a Friedman Brown Eye modded module.

Long time since I owned a BE...but very similar for sure....think the BE/HBE has a little more low end from memory.

I was wondering about the RM4 as I can't get a M4 here in Aus.

I don't really care about the dual channels as I'd effectively have 4 channels with the RM4 but I was wondering if the Randall's do actually sound worse than the Egnaters like people frequently say.

I'd likely get all modded modules so wouldn't they sound the same?

Do they actually sound like a real amp? I've heard some dog aweful clips on YT and some great ones (the modded ones usually sound fantastic).

I'd be running it through a VHT 2/50/2 clone with OS trannies.

Curt, I just bought one from you on eBay a few minutes ago. I'm looking forward to it. I can see how it stacks up to the Egnater SL2X and SL modules.

Chubtone":lwxmf17l said:
Kapo_Polenton":lwxmf17l said:

I don't want to come off as too much of a Randall cheerleader here but that company has gone through some large transitions recently. The new company that owns them has hired a new amp designer that is very into the MTS series and the concept of them. They have been owned by three companies in I believe the last three years and the company in the middle had no clue and just let a lot of things go to pot with the whole company. Things seem to be turning around and I notice a renewed enthusiasm with the sales reps and the inside guys. The head of amp design regularly emails me to get a feel for what is going on and to help solve any issues we are having. I would describe him as fantastic to deal with and my new sales rep is too.

Both of the guys that work for me own the MTS series heads and several modules. Heck, Jay has every module. But I have managed to avoid bringing one home for the last 5 years. I couldn't avoid it after this new GTO module was released. I absolutely love this module and it's modded Marshall vibe. I used to like the SL+ the best but this one I like WAY more.

Man I hope you're right, cuz I'm not seeing it from a Customer Service or Marketing perspective. You've seen the overall vibe on the MTS forum: depressing....thankfully the modders like Salvation, Gigmods and Jaded Faith are keeping MTS alive (great stuff coming out of them), but not much from Randall. The Nuno module (which I hear sounds great) was dropped, the Ian mods are limited release, etc. It's such a killer platform it's mystifying why they haven't gone full bore pushing this thing.

bstaley":2jevsz2q said:
Curt, I just bought one from you on eBay a few minutes ago. I'm looking forward to it. I can see how it stacks up to the Egnater SL2X and SL modules.

It's lower gain. George and Dave designed it to be run with the Cusak Screamer in front of it. I liked it but simply prefer the modded modules I have better. Maybe I am just more used to them. Either way, a deal came up that I couldn't refuse so I moved it.

Axe-Man":11gmca6a said:

I don't really care about the dual channels as I'd effectively have 4 channels with the RM4 but I was wondering if the Randall's do actually sound worse than the Egnaters like people frequently say.

Do they actually sound like a real amp? I've heard some dog aweful clips on YT and some great ones (the modded ones usually sound fantastic).

There's not a bad module in the signature series IMO...although I didn't care for the KH-2, too bassy for me but can get some killer thrash tones.

The regular modules....eh, the only one I keep around is the Ultra...everything else has been modded.....I even reduced the input cap (lower bass) in the Ultra.

I've put some dog awful clips on YT :)

Axe-Man":3la7ycsm said:

The Randall's don't sound worse, they sound different. The Egnater's IMO are more refined, somewhat smoother overall and not as in your face aggressive. Both companies modules do sound much like the amps they are supposed to but not a dead ringer. You can't capture the entire picture of an amplifier (preamp+Poweramp+OT+PT,etc) in a preamp module.
I own or have owned most of the modules from both companies and truth be told some of the Egnater sound awesome, some not so much (to me). Same with the Randall versions.

The modders tweaking these modules out are doing a great job in further refining this concept and bringing more variety to the line. The versatility available in this concept is quite cool. I hope the respective companies put some more effort behind the lines, because it is very cool.

With that power amp, I'm pretty sure you're going to like what you hear.

The Randall's don't sound worse, they sound different. The Egnater's IMO are more refined, somewhat smoother overall and not as in your face aggressive. Both companies modules do sound much like the amps they are supposed to but not a dead ringer. You can't capture the entire picture of an amplifier (preamp+Poweramp+OT+PT,etc) in a preamp module.
I own or have owned most of the modules from both companies and truth be told some of the Egnater sound awesome, some not so much (to me). Same with the Randall versions.

Agreed.. they aren't bang on but they are close enough. Furthermore, once you record with them, the "not spot on" really gets lost in the mix and you have a great amp. Chubtone is going to get me a Judge module. I'll then send my SL+ to gigmods down the line and get it turned into a SLODANO. Always wanted one of those amps. Speaking of boosting, the judge probably was designed with this in mind but most of our 80's rock gods were doing this anyway. I was just reading about Nuno using a turbo overdrive to boost a Soldano on the 3 sides album. Sounded pretty incredible to me. I'm done looking for amp alone to give me what i like I think. I always use an OD to tighten the tone.

FUZZboat":1amzyxl8 said:
NOTE: looks like hes running thru a RM20 which has EL84's - bet it sounds killer with EL34/5881

This is my buddy Ethan playing his RM22 and the GTO module. This is with no boost pedal at all and I think he sounds great with it. He's such a good customer on the MTS stuff, but in all honesty I think he may be done buying modules. The GTO is totally "it" for him. I feel exactly the same way. Others will disagree because we are all looking for different things. So when I say this GTO module is a grand slam home run, I can understand where someone else might not like it. I put that little clip of me playing it the day it came in up on the ebay auction and that's with no boost either.

I'm going to have to try boosting it too.

Back