My last missing Joe Holmes Tone Secret - Pre Rola Greenbacks

EddyLenz

Hey Guys,

Yes, I know... Everyone has probably heard about the magic of the old Pulsonic Greenbacks by now, so it's not really a secret anymore lol.

I've been chasing Joe's tone for around 7-8 years, which was when I first heard Farmikos and found out he played for Ozzy and DLR.
In that time, I've had around 5 different Super Leads with other people's and then my own Jose mods (actually a big part of why I got so into tinkering with amps), I got myself a 1972 Strat and had it modded, I got a Lexicon pcm41, a full 80s stereo rack like he was using with a Boss SE70, 2x SDE3000, and an H&H V800... I now got hold of the last big missing component of his tone.

4x Pre Rola Pulsonic Greenbacks

One of them sounds particularly awesome, which is the one that I miced for this demo.
Unfortunately, I don't have a cab for them yet so I put them in my 1991 1960BX until I can find a pre 1973 B cab to put them in.
I know that the cab itself is also a big part of the sound but this is the best I can do for now.
The tone chasing is never gonna end, I guess haha.

I'm also still not quite happy with the 72 Strat and might have it refretted again because I feel like it's buzzing a lot on the E and A strings although it has been to multiple luthiers already...

Nice. Warmth with bite. None of that ratty, brittle and smeared quality that plagues certain Greenback reissues.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 180843.jpg

Vplexicab.jpg

Have you ever tried early 70’s greenbacks like from 72 to early 73? I ask because I find them to sound a bit better than the prerola greenbacks with all of that same great tone.

The 90’s reissues, I’m assuming that were the 6402 cones?

Yep, unfortunately they're a bitch to find and stupid expensive and unless you find a set you can try you have no guarantee they'll actually sound good. I appreciate your dedication but that is one rabbit hole I have no desire to go down

Vid sounds awesome

The tone was great and great playing as well! 👌
Thanks!

Have you ever tried early 70’s greenbacks like from 72 to early 73? I ask because I find them to sound a bit better than the prerola greenbacks with all of that same great tone.

The 90’s reissues, I’m assuming that were the 6402 cones?
Nope, but as long as they still have Pulsonic cones, the 72/3 shouldn't sound different compared to 69/70, right?
With how different the 4 speakers I have sound, I think there's just a big variability in all the old speakers.
Yeah, I think my 91 Greenbacks have the 6402 cones.

Yep, unfortunately they're a bitch to find and stupid expensive and unless you find a set you can try you have no guarantee they'll actually sound good. I appreciate your dedication but that is one rabbit hole I have no desire to go down

Vid sounds awesome
Yeah, for sure!
3 out of the 4 speakers I got sound great but not really what I personally like, as they're more scooped and have more top end.
I got really lucky that the 4th speaker is perfect for my taste.

Appreciate the video.
Great tone, and, fantastic playing, Eddy…

It would be interesting to hear the 6402 cone A/B’d with the pulsonic…

So is that Jose the variant with the extra gain stage in front of each of the Plexi channels with the .022uF couplers?
Yes, but different couplers.

Appreciate the video.
Great tone, and, fantastic playing, Eddy…

It would be interesting to hear the 6402 cone A/B’d with the pulsonic…
Thanks! When I get a cab for the Pulsonics, I'll make a comparison before I take them out of the 1991 cab.

Back