My next Suhr..mahogany w/maple board>ok?

veji

Here are the specs of my next Modern. I currently have a Modern with a maple neck/Maple board with basswood/maple top
i would like another one with a thicker/meatier tone.. also w/maple FB(i love maple FB) can't live w/o it
let me know what you guy think?

Body Wood: Mahogany, 2-Piece

Finish: Brown Burst
Fingerboard Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Radius: 10" - 14"
Frets: Jumbo Stainless Steel
Fret Number: 24 Frets
Face Dots: Abalone
Side Dots: Abalone
Nut: Floyd
Nut Width: 1.650"
Neck Pickup: Aldrich HB, Black

Bridge Pickup: Aldrich, HB, Black

Bridge: Gotoh Floyd recessed(blocked)
Hardware Color: Chrome Hardware
Knobs: Chrome

I thought I read that according to john suhr mahogany is best suited to a mahogany neck and mahogany with maple neck was his least favorite combo. My personally suggestion is Alder/maple its been a proven versatile combo definitely nice and beefy the koa top could add class and another dimension to the overall sound probably accentuate the lows and highs while the alder brings the thick midrange

So I should use koa top, alder back, maple neck and board? How's that combo?

swamp ash/ alder/ basswood all sound good with a maple neck they are proven combos. not saying the hog sounds bad with the the a maple neck but i think you can do better. Koa has a similar tone to a maple top but a little more aggressive.

I have 3 Suhrs.

I have to say the meatiness, or what I equate to lower mids, is a good bit in the amp and cab I use.

The satin mahogany cheap one may fit the bill. I like to have the top end sizzle of a maple neck and board, so I did not get one. I can't say that they sounded that much thicker, just lost some top end. The tone difference in the thickness was nothing I couldn't get thru an EQ change.

If I want meaty tone, I pick up a Les Paul. :)

I have not tried to get my super strats sounding too much like a Les Paul, kinda gets away from what they do best, IMO.

Maybe actives would solve the problem.

Back