NAD - 93 Wizard Metal

Erock

Picked up a Wizard Metal 100 from Inca(Rick), and figured I would make a NAD post here. BTW, thanks Rick, the thing was packed for war, and minty fresh. :thumbsup:

I'm diggin it, but it's taking me a bit to dial in. I picked it up for my hair metal cravings, but still not completely satisfied with the recorded tone. For such a simple EQ, there are TONS of ways to dial it. I've found myself tweaking like crazy, lol. It has a gain boost pull mod on the output, depth mod built into the circuit, solo boost pull mod on the bass knob, and an FX loop added with bypass switch and send/receive levels. Almost too many tweaking options. I guess the power section was also modded to be more like the current Modern Classic, all the work being done by Rick at Wizard.

Got a question for you Metal owners. What exactly is the Z gain doing to the lead channel? It controls the volume levels when in clean, but it also seems to affect the sizzle/gain voicing on the lead channel when in lead mode. Fully opened up, it seems to remove it's effect? Not really sure what I'm doing with that. The combination of the Z gain, bright control, treble, and presence are presenting me a lot of different ways to dial sizzle and topend, almost too many. I'm finding the amp seems brighter than my MC, which I thought would be the opposite. Any tips for dialing this thing in would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Here's the obligatory clip and pic.
http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=9468

10-19-10323.jpg

ericsabbath":11tvzw6w said:
damn you, Eric :D

sounds a lot more 80ish than your MC :yes:

haha, hey Xara!

yeah man, it's an 80's monster for sure. I think the riff is helping the 80's vibe though, lol. It has quite a bit more gain and lowend than my MC, really an aggressive sounding amp in the room. It's almost a bit much for the Rock20's, it holds the bottom end better with my V30x K100 cab, but the Rock20's give it a wicked grind in the mids that I really dig for the 80's tones.

Sounds great Eric and congrats on a great amp. It was George Heads old amp I think and he had some personal tweaks for this amp, done by Rick. Send him a PM, and he can tell you all about this amp.

Yeah i think that was georges old amp, he did have wizard do a bunch of mods the way he wanted them, so its not the same as the stock wizard metal that most people own, the clip is awsome btw.

thanks guys, and yeah it was Georges, I saw that clip when I was looking at it the first time a year ago, lol. George is a heck of a player. It's a great sounding amp in the room, although it really needs some volume to get cooking. I will ask George about the Z gain control, I just wanted to see if it was normal for all metals, or if the mods had changed something.

rocker":1d0md1bz said:
Sounds great Eric and congrats on a great amp. It was George Heads old amp I think and he had some personal tweaks for this amp, done by Rick. Send him a PM, and he can tell you all about this amp.

oh hey Rocker, any word on the MTL and MCII? I saw you ordered both in another thread. I can't wait to hear those things! I almost don't want to hear how awesome they sound, because I will have to sell everything I own to afford one, lol.

Erock":tib4kp3p said:
rocker":tib4kp3p said:

oh hey Rocker, any word on the MTL and MCII? I saw you ordered both in another thread. I can't wait to hear those things! I almost don't want to hear how awesome they sound, because I will have to sell everything I own to afford one, lol.
I will get em soon, this month maybe. I'm so looking forward to get them, the wait is killing me. :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure they will sound killer.

What a Killer array of Amps you got E,
I'm completely jealous!!
I love the clip, I thinks It sounds incredibly
Thick with a Nasty Grind. I'm biased towards this
amp anyway!!! You're the Man, Rock
that Beast Bro.
2cyll5t.jpg
2cyll5t.jpg
2cyll5t.jpg
2cyll5t.jpg

Rick

Inca Roads":2o81gxa6 said:
What a Killer array of Amps you got E,
I'm completely jealous!!
I love the clip, I thinks It sounds incredibly
Thick with a Nasty Grind. I'm biased towards this
amp anyway!!! You're the Man, Rock
that Beast Bro.
2cyll5t.jpg
2cyll5t.jpg
2cyll5t.jpg
2cyll5t.jpg

Rick
haha, thanks brother. BTW, thanks for the flawless transaction. Put your name in the good deals sticky. :thumbsup:

Nico":2o81gxa6 said:
that sounds great! Congrats!
thanks Nico :thumbsup:

Erock once again you have completely floored me with your tastful playing and great great tone. Did I mention your great tone? Awesome!!

Jim

wheelman":14v1j67y said:
I love it! Those rock 20's are special too IMO.
thanks man, and yeah, those Rock20 are pretty kickass speakers!

yngzaklynch":14v1j67y said:
Erock once again you have completely floored me with your tastful playing and great great tone. Did I mention your great tone? Awesome!!

Jim
haha, thanks Jim, really appreciate that. I only wish I had your chops, I'd be rippin it up all over this clip. :LOL: :LOL:

Back