NAD: Landry Lexi

Frehley12

Let me first say that doing business with Bill Landry has been a pleasure. I sent him examples of tones I was seeking. He responded by making 2 personal videos of himself playing a Lexi addressing my tone quest. Each one was about 15min. The 2nd one nailed the tone I was seeking. Who would even do that? No one! The effort he put into this just floored me.

In doing so, Bill made "tweaks" to the original design. Mine has a depth control knob and voice switch on the back. He told me that future builds will now include these.

The amp is just killer in every sense. A SIMPLE 2 channel amp that delivers the goods. It responds well to your guitar's volume knob making it very versatile. Clean, crunch, juicy leads, or tight rhythms they are all in here. It's addictive to play. There are so many ways to set this amp to your liking and the shared EQ does not hinder your tone quest at all. The reverb is surprisingly good too. The loop is FLAWLESS!

I have an EVH 4x12 with greenbacks, a Marshall Jubilee 4x12 with V30's, and a Marshall Jcm800 4x12 with G12-65s. It sounds the best with the greenbacks. Bill's YT videos have him playing the Lexi through greenbacks.

Can this 100w beast be played in a bedroom at low volumes and sound great? Absolutely!!!

Attachments

• 20220728_164600.jpg
    20220728_164600.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220728_164626.jpg
    20220728_164626.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220728_165127.jpg
    20220728_165127.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 47
That's rad that your input and suggestions have actually influenced his future builds! Clips sound great too, congrats!

I've looked at these, they seem interesting. I'd need to hit it with a boost though, clips sound thin. But, I hit much harder, that could be part of it..

Let me tell you the amp is not thin. I'm just a newbie at recording. Just a phone. Boosting it (JCM800 style) is on my list too, especially on Gain I.

Nice!!! Bill is a great guy, I used to own an LS30 and I had several phone conversations with him while I had it (no issues just questions)
Bill loves to talk to his customers.
the other guitarist in the band I play in also had one as the same time I did (we were going to rename the band "Landry" LOL!
The LS30 just didn't have the "kerrang " we were looking for that the Splawn does, (he ended up with a Suhr PT15) it was just a bit too polite for what I was looking for.
Too bad too because I loved everything else about that head. This amps sounds like it may have a bit more of what I was looking for.
Enjoy!!!

Let me tell you the amp is not thin. I'm just a newbie at recording. Just a phone. Boosting it (JCM800 style) is on my list too, especially on Gain I.
I gathered as much. I know these amps are underrated. I talked to Bill in the past, and almost bought one. They do sound good, I just wasn't sure how tight and percussive they get. Alot of "Plexi" amps tend to be a bit woofy for my tastes.

There is a little sag but not loose either. To me it's just the right amount. It is juicy and I think that is what makes it so fun and addicting to play. I look forward to boosting it.

Back