Naylor head stops by for a cup of coffee

ratter

I picked up a Naylor Duel 60 head on a whim. It's one of those amps that I've always been curious about but never tried. Man, what a killer medium-gain amp. Dare I say it, I think it's better than my beloved Budda Superdrives at that kind of tone. It reminded me a LOT of the Budda, but with more range in the eq controls. You have the ability to dial in a brighter spankier tone than you can with a Budda, which was my main complaint with the SD80, or you can keep it dark and it will be warm but not muddy. You can drop the mids and get a very BF-ish clean sound on the clean side too. It's one of those amps that is hard to get a bad sound out of. You can dial it too bright if you're not careful (the presence goes WAY up there if you dial it too high), but that's about it. All handwired, beautiful guts. Great master volume.

Such as it is, between it and my Marshall, I'm going to keep the Marshall. It was a tough decision, which I think says a lot for the Naylor. I don't play enough these days to justify keeping too much gear, or I'd gladly keep both. But if anybody out there is looking for a medium gain head in the vein of a Budda, Shiva, etc., the Naylors are definitely worth checking out. I guess there aren't too many of them out there so they sort of fly under the radar...

If I ever get the urge for that tone again, I'm going to get another Naylor, not another Budda!

Hey Mikey. Happy New Year!

I've always wanted to try out one of the Naylors,...I always hear great things about them, and your description fits what other have said. Since the range on the eq is so broad I'll guess it sounds equally good with single coils as it does with humbuckers?

The Naylors are really good, and along with that the Reverends are as well. The Kingsnake, Goblin, and Hellhound all have good stuff going on.

cibyl":82e6e said:
Hey Mikey. Happy New Year!

I've always wanted to try out one of the Naylors,...I always hear great things about them, and your description fits what other have said. Since the range on the eq is so broad I'll guess it sounds equally good with single coils as it does with humbuckers?

Hey Bill, yeah man, it really likes single coils. It can do what the Budda does in the sense that it sounds sustainy yet without too much gain. Like it fools you into hearing more gain than there is. Better clean than the Budda, by a hair. The Budda lead channel has a slight bit more gain on tap, though, so if you run the lead gain on the Budda at say 2 or 3:00 or higher, the Naylor might not have enough gain for you.

One thing the Budda has over the Naylor is the cathode bias. The Naylor is fixed bias, so it's not as convenient to switch power tubes.

In the end it came down to which I would miss more, and which would be harder to replace. The Marshall wins by a nose. I just posted the Naylor for sale on TGP....

Back