New Dream Theater: đź‘˝ NUTS!

Mangini is on fire here but he still doesn’t have the portnoy grove and feel. Mangini is more robotic.

I am not a drummer but I agree. Mangini is a wicked player but I prefer Portnoy's feel.

When I watch live DT vids with Mangini, I cringe a little bit watching him play with his cymbals hanging above his head. Dont know why it bothers me but it does.

The new song is solid though. Listened to it last night through the small PA in my room.

Sound is good, but I think that the song will have to grow on me. I have always like Mangini since I heard him on the Punchline album.

Portnoy’s signature snare sound always drew me in, but the double kick got tired after hearing it so much on every song.

Manginis snare is softer or more subdued sounding to me, but I think his playing is just as tasty and I appreciate the mixing it up on the kick more.

Glad they are still putting out quality stuff though!

Veddy, veddy-good, no doubt.

We'll have to wait 'til October to hear how the full album holds up but dayum, if this is anything to go by it's gonna be epic. :yes:

Man, there is so much to admire and respect about DT's musicianship but the music comes across as so nerdy to me that I just can't get into it.

Man, there is so much to admire and respect about DT's musicianship but the music comes across as so nerdy to me that I just can't get into it.

was just gonna say this same thing.. as good as that was i dont feel the need to go back and listen again. i kinda feel bad about it lol

Its kinda like King Diamond. You learn to tune out the singer, and listen to the music.
hahahaha
it's a learned skill!!
as much as i loved rush over time geddy's voice really did start to grate on me.
especially after he referred to his voice as sounding like mickey mouse in an interview
that kinda killed Rush for me after that
dammit!

Has anyone ever sat down and counted how many individual notes that Petrucci, Rudess, and Myung play combined in any random Dream Theater 'epic'?

I can't even begin to guess.
100,000? A million?

Its kinda like King Diamond. You learn to tune out the singer, and listen to the music.
can't dig the DT singer; however, I do dig the many voices of KD. Sorry to derail the thread. I love to crank "A Mansion in Darkness" in the car at at a stoplight, look straight ahead with a straight face to see people looking like "WTF?" :)

Back