New Run Fortin TS9 arrived!

I have an SD-1 as well, and find the Fortin rolls off some of that high end the SD-1 certainly has more of, even backing off the tone. I find the Fortin to have more punch, and firms up the low end without the slicing it up.

The SD-1 certainly has its place. The Fortin does as well. Certainly warmer, punchier, IMO. I think it's probably more suitable with modern 6L6 flavors.

I have an SD-1 as well, and find the Fortin rolls off some of that high end the SD-1 certainly has more of, even backing off the tone. I find the Fortin to have more punch, and firms up the low end without the slicing it up.

The SD-1 certainly has its place. The Fortin does as well. Certainly warmer, punchier, IMO. I think it's probably more suitable with modern 6L6 flavors.
Definitely a good fit with more modern leaning amps. Not so good with say my 1972 SuperLead. I thought it was really killer with my Bad Lander. Only tried it loaded with 34’s, but I could see it possibly even doing better if I put 6L6’s or 5881’s in there. Will have to try that later

Honest question. Have any of you guys used an EQ pedal out front? An EQ that has a level/volume knob to increase the drive? Seems that would work best and likely be cheapest in the long run.
Yes that can work very well too, but in a different way (not imo better or worse). Not the same flavor/result, but maybe close enough for a general ballpark approximation of other pedals. Especially not the same as my drive pedals that have germanium involved like the Thorpy Heavy Water, Coppersound Broadway, actual Range Master, and Klon

Last edited:
Honest question. Have any of you guys used an EQ pedal out front? An EQ that has a level/volume knob to increase the drive? Seems that would work best and likely be cheapest in the long run.
Yep. Used a cheap Dano FnChips, and had a GE10(way better than the 8). The Fortin does something that neither EQ pedal can do. The GE 10 is great; but I would dial it in to sound exactly like what I already owned, an OD1X.
The Fortins mids are just juicier/more aggressive than anything I could dial in either EQ pedal.
That said the OD1X is still my go to. The Fortin is cool too, for a change up.

Yep. Used a cheap Dano FnChips, and had a GE10(way better than the 8). The Fortin does something that neither EQ pedal can do. The GE 10 is great; but I would dial it in to sound exactly like what I already owned, an OD1X.
The Fortins mids are just juicier/more aggressive than anything I could dial in either EQ pedal.
That said the OD1X is still my go to. The Fortin is cool too, for a change up.
Yes, the 2 I kept are the GE10 & old blue mxr 6 band, but haven't touched them in years now. I've not had a single boost yet of the 150+ I've been through match (or really come close to rivaling) the aggressive, juicy mids of the Fortin (especially the 808 version), not even the Furman PQ3. My klon is still my go to (not fair though lol) and 2nd fave the new Tamura modded TS. I think those who don't mind more hollow sounds will probably hear nothing special in these Fortin TS's because I'll admit it otherwise isn't too special to me, but that's quite a thing it has for what it does well

I used to use a Boss GE-7 into both a DSL50, and JVM. Honestly, it did REALLY well with the JVM, (hitting OD2 Orange).

Another good one is the Wampler EQuator.

Right now, the Flux Drive is my mainstay. It's a superb pedal. It's an aggressive, yet clean boost that adds a bit of good sauce, and the bass and treble knobs can boost or cut as subtle as you want. Honestly, like I've said before, it's a more aggressive, more precise Spark Boost. I fucking love that pedal.

Last edited:
I have the FAOD9, signed by Mike, #3 This pedal has some serious upper mid punch, slays every amp I use it on, Hexdrive is also badass!

Attachments

• 173358837_1827248614120256_8208637076048796407_n.jpg
    173358837_1827248614120256_8208637076048796407_n.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 278461167_2101866503325131_4249477062248921115_n.jpg
    278461167_2101866503325131_4249477062248921115_n.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 39
Got my FTS9 in the mail! I've spent the last couple days doing some pretty heavy testing with different guitars, amps & speakers. I like the pedal a lot, and there are certain combinations that it kills- like with anything going into my G12T-75 cab. It's a game changer for that cab. It has a ton of clarity while still being very aggressive. That said, for most gear pairings I still like the OD1X a bit more. However, they are totally different in what they do so I'm going to leave them both on the board for a while & see how it goes in the band mix.

This is a really good description.

Came back here to post, after having these side by side for a while now, the SD1 and the Fortin TS9, your description is spot on.

The Fortin is basically an SD1 with some fairy dust. The differences are very subtle but damn they're very good.

The Fortin is better to me hands down but they're so damn similar that I'm torn. I cant bring myself to sell the Fortin just yet because it sounds great and better but the price tag is a lot vs the SD1.

This thread really just makes me wanna try a Flux and a Plumes tbh.

Came back here to post, after having these side by side for a while now, the SD1 and the Fortin TS9, your description is spot on.

The Fortin is basically an SD1 with some fairy dust. The differences are very subtle but damn they're very good.
Well they say the devil is in the details

The Fortin is better to me hands down but they're so damn similar that I'm torn. I cant bring myself to sell the Fortin just yet because it sounds great and better but the price tag is a lot vs the SD1.

This thread really just makes me wanna try a Flux and a Plumes tbh.
I didn't care for the Plumes at all, honestly. It kinda reminds me of a cheaper OCD, where the lows were much rounder, not as tight. Much like the Golden Pearl as well. The Flux hasn't left my board since I got it. I used the Fortin TS9 to test drive it of course, and determined its a keeper pedal, but the Flux is just so good at really sculpting your tone. And the drive adds a bit of grunt when you crack it open just slightly. The bass and treble knobs cut/boost exactly as advertised, and work VERY well!

Just got my Fortin TS9 (new run). Really like it so far into my JCM 800 Studio, has awesome output (just right, not too much) and a pleasing eq curve. Sounds great for rhythm and fluid solos. Very quiet too with high fidelity. I like it a lot more than the Hex drive that sounded a little too modern to me.

Compared to my 80’s Japan SD-1, it’s definitely a lot more output, and maybe smoother on top, with a much more punchy and clear sound. I’ve never used a green TS pedal before but I’m running the knobs same as I would an SD-1, full level, drive around 8 o’clock, tone middle.

I assume this pedal is the same as the first run (except that was a Maxon while this is an Ibanez?). No experience with the Fortin 808 but the videos of it did not sound good to me.

Just got my Fortin TS9 (new run). Really like it so far into my JCM 800 Studio, has awesome output (just right, not too much) and a pleasing eq curve. Sounds great for rhythm and fluid solos. Very quiet too with high fidelity. I like it a lot more than the Hex drive that sounded a little too modern to me.

Compared to my 80’s Japan SD-1, it’s definitely a lot more output, and maybe smoother on top, with a much more punchy and clear sound. I’ve never used a green TS pedal before but I’m running the knobs same as I would an SD-1, full level, drive around 8 o’clock, tone middle.

I assume this pedal is the same as the first run (except that was a Maxon while this is an Ibanez?). No experience with the Fortin 808 but the videos of it did not sound good to me.
The 808 has insane amounts of gain, and also noisy as hell, at low levels.

I own the Fortin mod maxon od9, Fortin ibanez ts9 and 2 of the Fortin 808 variants Also had, but sold the Maxon 808 variant they sold for a short while. The Fortin Ibanez 808 is indeed the noisier pedal but you can get much more saturation out of an amp with it. Excellent if you have an amp with "vintage" high gain levels. Overall, the Ibanez Ts9 is the best one for me also, sounds cleaner, great mids and plenty of volume. The maxon version is kind of the same but a bit warmer. Of course certain amps respond better to one or the other.

I own the Fortin mod maxon od9, Fortin ibanez ts9 and 2 of the Fortin 808 variants Also had, but sold the Maxon 808 variant they sold for a short while. The Fortin Ibanez 808 is indeed the noisier pedal but you can get much more saturation out of an amp with it. Excellent if you have an amp with "vintage" high gain levels. Overall, the Ibanez Ts9 is the best one for me also, sounds cleaner, great mids and plenty of volume. The maxon version is kind of the same but a bit warmer. Of course certain amps respond better to one or the other.
TBH been considering the 808. I have the TS9 and I find it hard to remove from the chain over my SD1 but more saturation would be great.

I need to test some different preamp tubes but with MY amp the Fortin TS9 gives me JUST enough. There's no headroom but it is just enough, wouldn't mind having a little more to play around with.

Back