NGD!!!!!!! 1976 Norlin Les Paul Custom 😎

10.7lbs is not too bad. A good side 3inch padded strap does wonders for mine which is 9.8lbs. I tried my friends 90s studio lite and while it’s a great guitar, just didn’t have the punch of my 73 norlin. Love how a les Paul hits you in the chest.

I took a massive hit on my fender that I let go of to help grab this one and honestly it doesn’t phase me one bit - a Norlin LPC is something I’ve dreamed of. When I started playing Les Paul’s roughly 4 years ago, the strat just sounded weak and anemic in comparison. I mainly started on strats because that’s all I could afford and it aligned with the EVH stuff I started on.

The Alpine white norlins are absurd. There's a 74 for sale that has a very visible crack at the neck pocket and the guy is asking $7,300. That's crack-head money. I'd rather take a mid-90s - mid-20s Lpc for half that any day. Being "old" doesn't just automatically make them better.
They can keep them at the costs they're going for now. I’d rather have a newer LPC with the latest build qualities I’ve seen than an old one. Maple necks are great but they aren’t everything.

Last edited:
That is awesome, congrats! One of the best sounding instruments I ever had the change to play was an '80 LPC with 81/60 combo. Enjoy!

Just plugged it in and oh my god. That’s it - that top end grind you hear all over ozzy albums.

I have an appointment on Saturday first thing to drop it off and get a full refret and a new bone nut cut for it. I will record a clip after I’ve got it setup for how I like.

The neck is THIN. Way thinner than my 60’s standard at 1-3. It’s certainly not chunky but that’s alright - I expected 60’s style and it’s easy to play.

Neck has a lot of stick to it just as my others did when new. I’ll have to knock it off with 0000 steel wool.

She sounds great for a guitar with dead strings and no fret life left. Thanks again for all of the comments guys it’s a wonderful feeling to own and play one of these masterpieces :rock:

Just plugged it in and oh my god. That’s it - that top end grind you hear all over ozzy albums.

I have an appointment on Saturday first thing to drop it off and get a full refret and a new bone nut cut for it. I will record a clip after I’ve got it setup for how I like.

The neck is THIN. Way thinner than my 60’s standard at 1-3. It’s certainly not chunky but that’s alright - I expected 60’s style and it’s easy to play.

Neck has a lot of stick to it just as my others did when new. I’ll have to knock it off with 0000 steel wool.

She sounds great for a guitar with dead strings and no fret life left. Thanks again for all of the comments guys it’s a wonderful feeling to own and play one of these masterpieces :rock:

SS frets will be incredible on that!!

Took it to the Luthier today.

The bridge saddles have (overall) lost the radius across the bridge - it’s flattened due to wear and tear. Since a new bridge was needed, I went ahead and ordered a new gold gotoh stop tail bar to go with it as it otherwise wouldn’t look right.

Frets will be .110x.057 jescar stainless across the fretboard. I’m hopeful the guitar will take a back bow to allow proper setup - we adjusted the rod and the neck didn’t really move - it looks like it hasn’t been played in years but at once it had the hell played out of it. It’s beyond in need of a refret.

I’ll keep y’all updated. The luthier was excited to take on the project and excited to see the end result.

Once you put big frets, modern hardware, and pups of choice, those Norlin LPC’s are rock/metal machines.

Much thanks dudes! It’s been a few weeks, still at the luthier. Said it would be done around the second week of October. I’m super excited to play it!

10.7 lbs. Most are around 10.2 lbs. I know of one alpine white 79 that was 12.2 lbs and the owner listed it since it didn’t sound as good as his 72
The heavier the better for me I had a Zack Wylde Bullseye that weighed 12 pounds right on the nose and that guitar screamed! Big time congratulations very nice!

6663730E-994B-454D-9E6E-CD233635018E.jpeg
Congratulations on a badass guitar. I wish we could compare it side by side with my Aria. This one weighs at least 11 lbs.. I bought it for $300 about 10 years ago and forgot that I had it until last winter when I was looking for a LP case I found this in one. A Het Set put in it, a new bridge/tailpiece and a good set up and it’s one of the best guitars I’ve played. I’m sure your score will be killer. I may copycat and re-fret this one too

Last edited:
Back