NGD!!!!!!! 1976 Norlin Les Paul Custom 😎

Aren’t the norlins frets wide and really short.
Like really short?
Yep you’ll have to have a new nut cut as well when refretting. To do it right you’re basically undoing the poor quality they were known for. I’m going with a bone nut.

View attachment 90587Congratulations on a badass guitar. I wish we could compare it side by side with my Aria. This one weighs at least 11 lbs.. I bought it for $300 about 10 years ago and forgot that I had it until last winter when I was looking for a LP case I found this in one. A Het Set put in it, a new bridge/tailpiece and a good set up and it’s one of the best guitars I’ve played. I’m sure your score will be killer. I may copycat and re-fret this one too

Man that is one sweet guitar. I imagine it sounds and plays every bit as much as well as any Norlin LPC. If you refret it I highly recommend jescar.

I honestly really like the Shaw PAFs that are in it. I might run it as is without EMGs for a while. I rolled back my volume knob and went from Ozzy to ZZ top in my Marshall instantly. I was absolutely shocked it was the same pickup.

This ones 10.7 but it’s all in the body and not in the neck. The neck is thinner than standard profile of today, I know because I have a standard I can compare it against. it’s amazing how much of a metal axe this thing really is, you really couldn’t get away with such a thin profile taper with a mahogany neck. Shes a badass guitar and definitely upper mids oriented. I’m hoping to balance it out with the bone nut and thicker gauge strings.

Man that is one sweet guitar. I imagine it sounds and plays every bit as much as well as any Norlin LPC. If you refret it I highly recommend jescar.

I honestly really like the Shaw PAFs that are in it. I might run it as is without EMGs for a while. I rolled back my volume knob and went from Ozzy to ZZ top in my Marshall instantly. I was absolutely shocked it was the same pickup.

This ones 10.7 but it’s all in the body and not in the neck. The neck is thinner than standard profile of today, I know because I have a standard I can compare it against. it’s amazing how much of a metal axe this thing really is, you really couldn’t get away with such a thin profile taper with a mahogany neck. Shes a badass guitar and definitely upper mids oriented. I’m hoping to balance it out with the bone nut and thicker gauge strings.
I’d keep those pickups. I only put the EMGs in it because my buddy is endorsed and I got them for free. The Het Set is more passive sounding than the 81.

Had a73 black custom with nickel hardware and Tom Holmes pickups and like a dumbass traded for an xtc that I sold a month later.:doh:

I know this is blasphemy to some of you metal guys, but if you put EMGs in a LP, it’s going to sound like any other guitar with EMGs in it. Totally robs the guitar of its character.
I only have EMG’s in two guitars. They sound nothing alike. One is a bolt on with an 81 and a LP copy with a Het Set. Totally different.

I only have EMG’s in two guitars. They sound nothing alike. One is a bolt on with an 81 and a LP copy with a Het Set. Totally different.
You have two different flavors of active pickups. I’ll bet they’re not that far off tonally from each other. I’ll venture both guitars have different scale lengths (?), which will make them sound different more so than the type of EMGs that are in each, imho. I see why metal guys dig EMGs, they have their place. Not dogging them. But the nature of active pickups, how they work, isn’t ideal for letting a guitar’s natural tone through.

You have two different flavors of active pickups. I’ll bet they’re not that far off tonally from each other. I’ll venture both guitars have different scale lengths (?), which will make them sound different more so than the type of EMGs that are in each, imho. I see why metal guys dig EMGs, they have their place. Not dogging them. But the nature of active pickups, how they work, isn’t ideal for letting a guitar’s natural tone through.
I argued that point with an amp maker years ago, Im taking he was tone deaf.

I have passives in my other 14 guitars and prefer them. The Het Set sounds really good in the LP . My buddy has them in a Jackson Warrior. Same amp, boost, cord, player, pick etc. They sound different. I’m not talking JB to XN2 different but you can hear the differences between the two guitars.

A Norlin era Les Paul? Ewwww GROSS! No one should ever have to play a Norlin era LP. I have one and it gives me a rash just to touch it.

No one good would ever play a Norlin era Les Paul....

Well, except for Randy Rhoads, but I mean besides Rhoads, no one good would ever play a Norlin LP...

Well, except for John Sykes, but besides Sykes and Rhoads, that's it....

Except for John Norum, but besides Rhoads, Sykes and Norum, no one good would ever play a Norlin era Les Paul...

Well ,except for Zakk Wylde.

So basically, besides my favorite Les Paul players of all time, no one good would ever play a Norlin era Les Paul. :)

And I can make this same joke about CBS era strats, besides Hendrix, Malmsteen, Blackmore, Uli Roth and Robin Trower, no one great would ever play a CBS era strat. I have one of those too. Disgusting.

LOLOLOLOL

Had a73 black custom with nickel hardware and Tom Holmes pickups and like a dumbass traded for an xtc that I sold a month later.:doh:
Double ouch 🤕

My Bogner is going nowhere. A lot of amps that are Marshall inspired in my stable, the Bogner holds the highest gain/most raw spot for sure.

Congrats! Have you seen this comparison video between EMG 57 and T Top? Pretty interesting.

I put Lace Deathbuckers in my '79 mostly to save some weight:
9h8QOB7l.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Have you seen this comparison video between EMG 57 and T Top? Pretty interesting.

I put Lace Deathbuckers in my '79 mostly to save some weight:
9h8QOB7l.jpg

Cool short clip, t tops had that classic 70s hard rock and metal sound, emgs sounded more modern. Both cool, but t tops is what I preferred. I should have probably give them more time on my 73 lp custom, but am happy with the Suhr thornbuckers I have in there now.

Back