NPD - BAT Pharaoh

Steinmetzify

So I play some doom/sludge....and the guy that got me into it has been on me for literally years to try this pedal. I finally caved and it showed up today.

Into the clean channel of my Herbert, this is DOOM CITY.

XfkPkXvl.jpg

4WYkkwMl.jpg

This thing showed up, I tweaked it for like 2 minutes and found the settings above...and fell in love with it. Great by itself, fantastic boosted by the PlxFx Bion.

I played it for four hours, stopped and immediately ordered a Quantum Mystic and a bigger MXR PS. :LOL:

RwcdU8Sl.jpg

This is Mike Scheidt from Yob's signature pedal; can't wait to try this one too. If the Pharaoh is any indication this thing is gonna be a monster as well.

I know this isn't the RT mainstream, but I know some of you guys are into other guitar tones too. If for some reason you haven't tried the Pharaoh, I highly recommend it; it's doom/sludge in a box.

I love the Pharaoh for all things doom. But really it's just a great all around fuzz.
I haven't tried the Quantum Mystic, but Mike's tone is always awesome.
BAT makes some great pedals.

I love the Pharaoh for all things doom. But really it's just a great all around fuzz.
I haven't tried the Quantum Mystic, but Mike's tone is always awesome.
BAT makes some great pedals.

Agreed, this thing is capable of so much more than just doom, I was pretty surprised. Love the tones tho!

Their LSTR is my go-to fuzz. Love the BAT stuff!

Me too...might have to grab some more lol

I’m huge fuzz fan. Best way to get a growl like a fire breathing dragon. To be honest I had a Pharaoh and wasn’t too impressed, but I guess it depends what you’re looking for in a fuzz. For me it was too polite, smooth and restrained sounding. For me the holy grail of fuzzes is a ‘70’s Foxx Tone Machine. That will always be king for me. Wasn’t impressed with any clones except the reissue, which is isn’t too far off (maybe 90% as good) and actually also the Danelectro French Toast. That $40 Chinese made Foxx clone sounds great and actually sent many fuzzes packing for me including the Pharoah

Also a huge big muff fan and have a Bubble Font Russian Big Muff (for me the best muff pedal). The Soviet Tank by Formula B that I have is very close and also has more mids and thickness, which can sometimes be for the better, but not quite as raw or nasty as the original Russian Muff. I’ve had lots of fuzzes: Red Witch, lots of various vintage big muffs, Death By Audio Fuzz War, Skreddy Zero, Retrochannel, MJM Foxy Fuzz, KHDK, T-Pedals, MXR Foxx clone, Tortuga Yeti, Wampler Leviathan, Fuzzrocious Blast Furnace, Fortin Fuzz, Jauernig Fuzz, Sam Ash triangle fuzz, Maestro Fuzz Tone, Petty John, Cornish, and even tried an original Fuzz Face once

The ones I kept and feel are the clear best to my ears have been my ‘70’s Foxx Tone Machine, reissue Tone Machine, Danelectro French Toast, Russian Big Muff Bubble Font, Formula B Soviet Tank and Union Works Bumble Buzz. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think of the Pharoah as being one of the better fuzzes I’ve had, but we all look for different things in fuzzes. I like my fuzzes to have a real throaty, furry growl, velvety texture to the notes and to be raw and organic. I don’t like fuzzes that are more smooth and polite or distant sounding

I’m huge fuzz fan. Best way to get a growl like a fire breathing dragon. To be honest I had a Pharaoh and wasn’t too impressed, but I guess it depends what you’re looking for in a fuzz. For me it was too polite, smooth and restrained sounding. For me the holy grail of fuzzes is a ‘70’s Foxx Tone Machine. That will always be king for me. Wasn’t impressed with any clones except the reissue, which is isn’t too far off (maybe 90% as good) and actually also the Danelectro French Toast. That $40 Chinese made Foxx clone sounds great and actually sent many fuzzes packing for me including the Pharoah

Also a huge big muff fan and have a Bubble Font Russian Big Muff (for me the best muff pedal). The Soviet Tank by Formula B that I have is very close and also has more mids and thickness, which can sometimes be for the better, but not quite as raw or nasty as the original Russian Muff. I’ve had lots of fuzzes: Red Witch, lots of various vintage big muffs, Death By Audio Fuzz War, Skreddy Zero, Retrochannel, MJM Foxy Fuzz, KHDK, T-Pedals, MXR Foxx clone, Tortuga Yeti, Wampler Leviathan, Fuzzrocious Blast Furnace, Fortin Fuzz, Jauernig Fuzz, Sam Ash triangle fuzz, Maestro Fuzz Tone, Petty John, Cornish, and even tried an original Fuzz Face once

The ones I kept and feel are the clear best to my ears have been my ‘70’s Foxx Tone Machine, reissue Tone Machine, Danelectro French Toast, Russian Big Muff Bubble Font, Formula B Soviet Tank and Union Works Bumble Buzz. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think of the Pharoah as being one of the better fuzzes I’ve had, but we all look for different things in fuzzes. I like my fuzzes to have a real throaty, furry growl, velvety texture to the notes and to be raw and organic. I don’t like fuzzes that are more smooth and polite or distant sounding

Thanks for that man, I'll look into those.

For me, I had a tone in my head; vaguely Khemmis sounding, and this hit it almost right off the bat. Pretty deep, slightly raw but able to clean up well, and it took me maybe 2-3 minutes of tweaking. I took a pic of the settings just in case lol.

The Big Muff didn't do it. It was close, but lacked the volume I was after, and it was noisy in a bad way. The Fortin fuzz was decent with my Fryette but not my Orange or the Herbert, whereas this killed it almost immediately.

Hopefully the QM is just as cool as this to my ears.

Thanks for that man, I'll look into those.

For me, I had a tone in my head; vaguely Khemmis sounding, and this hit it almost right off the bat. Pretty deep, slightly raw but able to clean up well, and it took me maybe 2-3 minutes of tweaking. I took a pic of the settings just in case lol.

The Big Muff didn't do it. It was close, but lacked the volume I was after, and it was noisy in a bad way. The Fortin fuzz was decent with my Fryette but not my Orange or the Herbert, whereas this killed it almost immediately.

Hopefully the QM is just as cool as this to my ears.
I had no tone in my head and completely overlooked fuzzes for years until I tried my first one and best one imo: an original ‘70’s Foxx Tone Machine and then I was hooked on fuzzes, but was very spoiled by that one, so everything else sounded comparivitlevy like crap for a while. I never was chasing any band’s tone. I just heard the insane growl of that pedal and was amazed. For me when I try fuzzes I mostly play long powerchords and heavily nitpick their growl and character because that’s why I like fuzzes, so maybe we look for different things in them

There are many different big muff varieties and I don’t care for a lot of them either, but I can assure you that an original bubble font Russian big muff in good working order should have lots of volume, low noise and be the biggest and most punchy fuzz you’ll ever hear. It’s massive. The Formula B Soviet Tank is very close. Yeah I thought the Fortin Fuzz was meh. I should also stress the “good working order” part because mine needed to be taken to a tech when I first got it

IMO most amps also suck as fuzz platforms, but I’m very particular about that. The best fuzz pedal platforms imo that I’ve tried are a Hiwatt, Naylor low input, and Mark IIC+ clean

Last edited:
Some of my favorite fuzz clips I've heard are with a Pharaoh. In some clips it seems like you could actually pick up the riffing pace and it would still track well and maintain some coherency to the riff and tone. I realize that's not usually the point of a fuzz, but it's cool when they can do that lol. I've yet to play one but would like to pick one up at some point. Another pedal that does that in spades is the Toneczar Vault. It's killer on guitar and bass.

Some of my favorite fuzz clips I've heard are with a Pharaoh. In some clips it seems like you could actually pick up the riffing pace and it would still track well and maintain some coherency to the riff and tone. I realize that's not usually the point of a fuzz, but it's cool when they can do that lol. I've yet to play one but would like to pick one up at some point. Another pedal that does that in spades is the Toneczar Vault. It's killer on guitar and bass.

Agreed, and one of the reasons I dig it. Thanks, and I’ll check out the Vault!

Back